Forum Index > Gear Talk > Convertible Pants for tall folk?
Previous :: Next Topic  
awilsondc

awilsondc

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 6:41 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I'm looking for recommendations for convertible pants with the zip off legs.  They all seem to be short and in this era where you can't try anything on I'm hoping to not have to hassle with returns.  I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam.  I've got a pair of Marmot Scree softshell pants that are perfect, but their convertible pants (Transcend) seem to be a tad short, even in the long size.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb

Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 7:25 am 
Kuhl Renegade Convertible Pants -- Best-fitting tall-guy zip-offs I've ever found.  I'm at the short end of 6'5" and bought a 36" inseam.

ETA:  Guess I should state that these are not a designated "tall" size, but they fit me very well.  If you need more rise, who knows.  I personally find most (all, really) "tall" pants have too much added rise for too little added inseam.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
blendergasket

blendergasket

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 8:26 am 
Prana zion should work. I'm 6'6" and recently discovered the joy of convertible pants. They come in 34 inseam.

--------------
"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet"
~Paracelsus
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 8:28 am 
FWIW: IME Convertible pants are a crock.  They weigh more than a pair of long hiking pants and a pair of running shorts.  The wide cut of convertible pants that allows the zip off portion to be removed without removing shoes resulting in baggy and clunky cut pants.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb

Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 am 
FWIW: IME Convertible pants are the bomb.  They're functional and no self-respecting hiker would hike in running shorts.  The wide cut of convertible pants that allows the zip off portion to be removed without removing shoes results in better ventilation and keeps the hiker from looking like a dancer.

tongue.gif
Ski
><((((>

Ski

><((((>
PostThu Jul 16, 2020 12:16 pm 
awilsondc, I have a pair of REI's house brand convertible pants - "34M" - and the inseam is plenty long.
I usually wear a 36-inch inseam.

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
awilsondc

awilsondc

PostThu Jul 16, 2020 8:34 pm 
Thanks for the recommendations texasbb and Ski, I'll check those out for sure!  Convertible pants rock.  The speed and ease in which you can change from pants to shorts without taking off your shoes is awesome.  As pants, you can also partially unzip at the leg for extra ventilation.  They're great if you're cold in the morning or in the evening at camp, and they're great if you need to do a section of bushwacking but would rather be in shorts the rest of the day.  They're definitely my preferred solution, but to each their own.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight

coated in DEET
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 pm 
The Columbia Silver Ridge is available in up to a 36 inch inseam.  LL Bean has two different weights up to 36 inseam as well.

Ive used these convertibles for a number of years; but I have to agree the shorts part is less than ideal.  The shorts are awkwardly knee length and too heavy of a fabric.

During the warm summer I normally hike in basketball shorts, and carry a pair of nylon wind pants that I can pull over.

I really only use the convertible pants when I really dont anticipated needing shorts.

--------------
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...  ― Henry David Thoreau
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Convertible Pants for tall folk?
  Happy Birthday hopalong, Mount Logan, Solo Steve!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: