Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wonderland Trail - looking for recent bug beta
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
oretro

oretro
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 9:42 pm 
Hola! I have permits for 7/24-7/31. Worried about mosquitoes - I just came back from 3d/2n in The Enchantments, where the mosquitoes nearly ate me alive, despite mosquito netting and DEET. Does anyone know what they've been like around the trail this July? 1 = not bad 5 = pernicious and vicious Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 7:45 am 
A lot depends on the weather leading up. But using your 1 to 5 scale I think it could range from 3 to 7. Long pants, long sleeves, a hat with a wide brim and a headnet will help. The Wonderland climbs up and down over ridges and valleys. So sometimes you'll be in deep forest, then meadows with ponds that are ideal breeding grounds and sometimes on bare snow and rock. You got to be prepared for a hugh range of conditions.

altersego

altersego
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 6:35 pm 
Very minimal bug activity today (7/18) up to Summerland and a little further. We left the trailhead at 830am, no really any bugs besides the stuff that flies but doesn't bother. On the way out it seemed slightly more buggy, but I didn't get bit. I did feel a black fly on my leg when I was taking my boots off. I remember moderately annoying black flies on the way to Summerland 5-6 years ago in August.

oretro

oretro
PostSun Jul 19, 2020 2:01 pm 
Thank you, this helps!

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostFri Jul 24, 2020 7:51 am 
We hiked the WT in 2016 in late July and started at Sunrise. The bugs were fine until Cowlitz Divide, where they were terrible and we had to put on our head nets. Then in 2018, we hiked in early August, and the bugs were bad in some places and not bad at all in other places: Mystic Lake, Ipsut creek camp, S. Mowich, no problems. Then when we got to North Puyallup camp we had to put on our head nets, but - we went to the group camp there (about 500 meters from the individual camp) and they were almost non-existent. Then the bugs got bad around where you ascend to Indian Henry's (going CCW mind you), and terrible at Devil's Dream which is notorious for being buggy. Then a half mile from there they were basically gone. I would bring bug spray, treat your clothes with it, and bring a head net. Finally, you can check WTA trip reports - as they often have reports for places on the WT and usually mention bugs. I hope this helps - have a great trip !

kite

kite
PostFri Jul 24, 2020 8:02 am 
I was up at Snow lake Sunday, was not bad during the day, but it got buggy in the late afternoon.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 am 
Was up at Burroughs MTB, Glacier Basin, Ohe Hi lakes, and Sunrise this week. A few mozzies and noseeums one black fly bite. Sprayed clothes and hat. Not bad yet

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn