Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wish I could backpack more
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 am 
Move to Missoula Montana, we just hiked the Bob to the Chinese wall, very few bugs, pretty dry’ and for sure no slugs.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Washakie

Washakie
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 11:28 am 
Coldrain...in my younger days I spent a lot of time in the Sonora Pass area. Great summer weather, but a little crowded, even way back in the 60's and early 70's..

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 2:07 pm 
Washakie wrote:
Coldrain...in my younger days I spent a lot of time in the Sonora Pass area. Great summer weather, but a little crowded, even way back in the 60's and early 70's..
Donnell Lake was our favorite hang out. We had a boat chained to a tree down near the dam. I explored all around that area, easy granite walking, found many small lakes. The Dardanelles were the big view. It was like our own private Yosemite, vertical walls and waterfalls all around the lake. We rarely saw other folks out on the lake since it took a lot of effort to get in there and there was no boat launch. Had to haul the motor and what not down very steep terrain just to get to the water. We had more fun than was legal... I had a really crappy old van that got stuck going over Sonora Pass, just couldn't make it over. Came to a dead stop and would go no farther...other than back down.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
rossb

rossb
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 6:56 pm 
I would also consider Wyoming. In general the Northern Rockies sound like the thing for you. They are often dry, fairly remote, yet spectacular. If you can find a way to become Canadian, then the world is an even bigger oyster.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 7:00 pm 
Yes, Wyoming is awesome, great hiking, hunting, and fishing, plus less people and low rate of the Corona.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 9:02 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Yes, Wyoming is awesome, great hiking, hunting, and fishing, plus less people and low rate of the Corona.
Nobody in Idaho believes in Covid. Absolutely nobody using masks there. Not in restaurants, gas stations, stores.

80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 9:03 am 
RichP wrote:
Big change in culture.
Can you elaborate on this?

Washakie

Washakie
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 11:03 am 
Cordrain, I fished Donnel, when I was in my teens...long dirt road down to the dam....steep cliffs on both sides. As I recall we did not catch fish. I also remember hiking down between Donnel and Beardsley (?) to catch native trout from the Stanislaus River. Must have been in the early '60's.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 1:59 pm 
80skeys wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Yes, Wyoming is awesome, great hiking, hunting, and p, plus less people and low rate of the Corona.
Nobody in Idaho believes in Covid. Absolutely nobody using masks there. Not in restaurants, gas stations, stores.
I am in northern Idaho and just ate lunch at Hills Resort on Priest Lake all employees are required to wear masks and it was suggested but not required for customers. We dined out on the patio with a great view of the lake. Their food is excellent, I had their amazing hot wings and Caesar salad.

80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 5:13 pm 
Washakie wrote:
I also remember hiking down between Donnel and Beardsley (?) to catch native trout from the Stanislaus River. Must have been in the early '60's.
California must have been a markedly better place back in the 50s and 60s before the population boom.
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am in northern Idaho and just ate lunch at Hills Resort on Priest Lake
We drove from St. Marie's to Spokane last week, not far south of Cor'dÁleune. Beautiful country.

Songs2

Songs2
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 8:25 pm 
The Inland Northwest has much to offer. I've flown into Spokane on my way to Glacier NP or the Canadian Rockies, and have learned to take it slow and enjoy Priest Lake, Sandpoint on Lake Pend d'Oreille (the lake has good swimming spots and bird refuges, the town has at least 2 independent bookstores and 2 independent coffee shops), maybe visit friends in the Yaak, stop at the organic food store in Clark Fork, more. Couple of things of concern: Wildfires. Inland Northwest gets hit with its own, and also is downwind from B.C. fires. Ultra-wealthy have been moving there for a couple of decades, buying up vast chunks of land. Not being local to the area, I can't say how residents feel about it. (My impression, and from spot things I've read.) Nice things: magical landscapes, hiking and aquatic activities, hot springs, huckleberries, Y2Y. Near Canada. Room to breathe.