Forum Index > Trip Reports > Morning Star pk, mtn loop hwy 7/17/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 pm 
Well the first trip that I took this year was with Aaron(awilsondc) and Trevin up Buckhorn mtn. During the trip it was apparent that Aaron and myself both had been wanting to get up Mornning Star pk off the mountain loop hwy. So we both took a rain check and fast forward a couple months and we planned to climb Morning Star on a sunny Wednesday mid-July! Lol!! Little did we know...brush hell awaited us!! lol.gif I think a lot of people do the east route when there is more snow, we had none until around 4400ft lol! Sadly this was after all the bushwhacking! shakehead.gif We started at the sunrise mine th around 630am. It was already warm out and the bugs were out. We made quick work to the crossing of the south fork stilly half a mile up trail. Before the river look to the left and there is a pretty well defined climbers path that heads south up valley for a quarter mile or so. This little path leads through some shoulder high ferns! Football fields of them it was cool for sure. All the while staring at the magnificent north face of Del Campo at the head of the valley!! I was telling Aaron that Del Campo has to be one of the most beautiful mountains in the state from this view! The path soon tuckered out and we followed the river and path of least resistance crossing it when necessary. Around 3100ft you come to the house sized boulder. We were about a hour in at this point. Up to this point the scwahckin had been manageable. Past the boulder I think some people might take the gully directly to the climber's right. It looked brushy as hell so we continued about a quarter mile past said boulder and started a diagonal traverse up a gully of sorts that looked a little more inviting.
minor brush in the ferns fields
minor brush in the ferns fields
Aaron and Del Camp
Aaron and Del Camp
stilly and del campo
stilly and del campo
looking back down valley
looking back down valley
house boulder
house boulder
The gully looked a little more obvious from below but once inside it the brush was so thick that we really couldn't see much of where we were going lol. We had a track that helped a lot too. There were sticker bushes down low which sucked. After 100ft of that it was really thick/thin little trees. All of this is rather steep and most of the rock is covered in a thin layer of moss that is slicker than sh##!! huh.gif All this combined produced a lot of obscenities being shouted through the undergrowth lol! rant.gif I wanna say the bush proper started around 3200ft and finally ended around 4000ft in a small boulder field. We made quick work up the field and got our first views of the gigantic slab on morning star's east side!! Wow!! I've never seen a landscape quite like this! It was shortly after this we were quite surprised to run into a mine! Jesus those miners were some hard dudes! We were probably about 3hrs in at this point and I was definitely feeling the warm weather and brush wearing me down lol. Around 4300ft we hit snow and shortly after had our first views of the rounded summit above, finally some worthy views and easier travel. The true summit is the one all the way right. The saddle to the left of the summit is what you aim for. We made our way up to the saddle all the while views becoming more and more grand! Wow the 'schwack was definitely worth it!!
the giant slab
the giant slab
the mine
the mine
slab and campo
slab and campo
snow finally
snow finally
summit in sight, far right
summit in sight, far right
closer
closer
the saddle to be gained
the saddle to be gained
Aaron smokin my ass to the saddle lol
Aaron smokin my ass to the saddle lol
awww, a brief respite
awww, a brief respite
Now from the saddle you drop a little on the other side and the final gully comes into view. You wanna ascend the gully to the ridge. We put crampons on and axes came out. The run out in the steep gully wasn't favorable but Aaron was kicking some bomber steps!! Thanks Aaron I owe you a beer or something lol! I'm not a big fan of steep snow so I was hoping our problems were over once on the ridge, they kind of were lol! Once on the ridge the slope steepens and is covered in heather. The only way I made it was with utilizing all the veggie belays I could get a hold of!! Finally a little over 5hrs we topped out on this little beast!! And holy sh## were the views worth it!!! eek.gif Astounding! rocker.gif Probably my favorite mtn loop peak! Except for the moderate snow slopes one could say this is a route that builds one's character!! Haha! I think we both went into this one expecting it to be a little easier but Morning Star made us work for it from top to bottom. We relished the views for an hour or so before we started the tedious descent.
the steep gully that leads to the summit ridge
the steep gully that leads to the summit ridge
Aaron leading
Aaron leading
Aaron settin in some nice steps
Aaron settin in some nice steps
pons off for the summit ridge
pons off for the summit ridge
on top at last, Aaron, Del Campo, monte cristos, etc
on top at last, Aaron, Del Campo, monte cristos, etc
the Montes
the Montes
Vesper
Vesper
lewis and sloan and friends
lewis and sloan and friends
vesper and sperry
vesper and sperry
I was worried about the heather slopes but using the ice axe coming down worked well. After that we had to face in and down climb the steep gully for a 150ft and made our way back to the saddle. From the saddle we had easy travel down snow slopes and made it back through the boulder field to the start of the brush!! sh##!! We weren't looking forward too the bush again but it was a lot easier goin down, thank god! Soon we were back on the valley floor next to the river. Now we could relax a little and take it all in a little more. What a beautiful place out here, now I know why not many come back here though lol. We both put this peak on the DNR list for sure, at least the east route! We made it back to the car 10.25hrs after we started. All in all I was glad to have a partner for this one and am still stoked having been up there too! What a day to be alive, truly!! Cheers to all!!
Aaron down climbing gully
Aaron down climbing gully
looking back at saddle from gully, Aaron is in the snowfield below saddle
looking back at saddle from gully, Aaron is in the snowfield below saddle
down from the saddle, lewis pk in back
down from the saddle, lewis pk in back
lewis and Aaron on ridge
lewis and Aaron on ridge
slab again
slab again
back in it
back in it
almost out of the deep green
almost out of the deep green
happy place
happy place

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 11:18 pm 
Great report! I have had delusions of trying this climb, but I think your report sealed the deal that it will not happen. I still need to get u Pugh...no brush to deal with on that one.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 11:24 pm 
Awesome. Del Campo is a pretty dreamy looking peak ;D

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 21, 2020 11:44 pm 
Shhh! I don't think this valley is overrun yet. I love it up there. I've used it as an approach for climbs multiple times, but often enough just go up there to chill in the basin below Del Campo. Totally agree, love that view of Del Campo from this vantage. There are numerous possible routes on it from here as well. Sounds like bushwacking hell, much easier when there is more snow present. I had to try Morning Star several times by a few different approaches before I got it.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 8:21 pm 
Thanks for the kick ass trip Ozzy! Classic type 2 fun on this one. Man, that brush sucked but I've already got good memories from this trip. Definitely glad to have this one done! Here are my pics.
Into the head high bracken fern
Into the head high bracken fern
Oh, that's nice
Oh, that's nice
Nice morning to be alive
Nice morning to be alive
Stillaguamish River
Stillaguamish River
Cascades
Cascades
The river section was nice
The river section was nice
How's the brush Ozzy?
How's the brush Ozzy?
Ozzy in the deep green
Ozzy in the deep green
The mine
The mine
Snow!
Snow!
Nearing the first saddle
Nearing the first saddle
Red Mountain and Rainier
Red Mountain and Rainier
Yeah buddy!
Yeah buddy!
Ozzy in the final col
Ozzy in the final col
Ozzy in his element
Ozzy in his element
Del Camp and Gothic
Del Camp and Gothic
Vesper and Sperry
Vesper and Sperry
Climbers on Vesper's summit block
Climbers on Vesper's summit block
Down the steep snow
Down the steep snow
Standing glissade
Standing glissade
A nice spot
A nice spot
Descending down the river
Descending down the river
Ozzy, stoked to be out of the brush!
Ozzy, stoked to be out of the brush!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 8:39 pm 
I've almost forgotten about this one, thanks for the reminder! Gotta go get it sometime. Good pics guys

Eric Eames
neek

neek
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 8:55 pm 
yeah me too. or maybe not, looks miserable haha

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 pm 
Yea, I think I will stick with lake bagging, fun to read about though.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.