Forum Index > Trail Talk > Smoke
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 7:24 am 
It's that time of year. Little bit smoky here this morning due to fires going in the N.E. (east of Tonasket). They started yesterday afternoon, two in the Aeneas Valley area.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 8:42 am 
It's here. Not too bad but looks terrible to the SW. There is ash on stuff outside. Apparently a big fire has erupted to the north and winds were very squirrely. It is around Palmer Lake which is on our side of the boundary with Canada.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 10:01 am 
Air quality index is 38 here, solidly in the "good category." I was just thinking how we've dodged a bullet this year, we got a pandemic but no smokepocalypse and August is more than half gone already. Sorry you're dealing with it. Pretty horrible.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:56 pm 
The SF Bay area has erupted since a bunch of dry thunderstorms went through Sunday. I just heard from my daughter-in-law that ash is falling on their home and their two-year-old insists on singing that reminder of the Black Plague of the Middle Ages, "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down."

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:59 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
and their two-year-old insists on singing that reminder of the Black Plague of the Middle Ages, "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down."
Pure hell, that. The smoke is settling in here now. I'll put up with it for a while, but will start researching places to escape to just in case it doesn't go away.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:01 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
The SF Bay area has erupted since a bunch of dry thunderstorms went through Sunday. I just heard from my daughter-in-law that ash is falling on their home and their two-year-old insists on singing that reminder of the Black Plague of the Middle Ages, "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down."
I know somebody a bit north of Santa Cruz. He's staying in a hotel and doesn't currently know if his house still exists. frown.gif

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 1:05 pm 
If the winds shift and blow northwest we are screwed: http://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/BSC18CA12/current/

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 2:20 pm 
That map doesn't have the Palmer fire on it. They even had evacuations yesterday. I suspect that is the source of the ash that has been coming down here. I like it when the Puget Sound gets smoked. We seem to get forest health taken more seriously when that happens.

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 2:23 pm 
That was a Canadian smoke forecast link, but includes a larger swath of the west. Here is a good Washington/Oregon/Idaho focused one: http://www.lar.wsu.edu/airpact/gmap/ap5/ap5smoke.html

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 2:35 pm 
https://www.okanogandem.org/2020-08-17-palmer-fire