Forum Index > Trail Talk > Little Giant Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CyrusK
Cyrus K.

CyrusK
Cyrus K.
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 1:21 pm 
Hi! I'm planning a backpacking trip in the Glacier Peak wilderness next week. Does anyone know if the Chiwawa River ford at the Little Giant Pass trailhead is doable? I figured the water level would probably be high. Is there any possibility of crossing on a log or something?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 1:57 pm 
There's a recent trip report on Schaefer Lake on WTA.org indicating the logjam is there, and definitely doable.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 5:52 pm 
My daughter and son-in-law did the Buck Ck Pass to High Pass and out via Little Giant Pass a couple of days ago. I have not spoken to her but did ask about the river crossing in a txt message. She said it was a little high but not too bad if done in the morning before warmer temps dump in more snow melt.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 8:56 pm 
Here is a link to a recent trip report on WTA. They said they went up stream a little ways to cross. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2020-07-18-5112043049

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
CyrusK
Cyrus K.

CyrusK
Cyrus K.
PostFri Jul 24, 2020 8:48 pm 
Oh that’s great! I’ll be heading over High Pass as well, could you ask them what conditions were like up there?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 8:06 am 
CyrusK wrote:
I’ll be heading over High Pass as well, could you ask them what conditions were like up there?
I still haven't seen or talked to her yet but she told me in a text that high pass has lots of snow and an ice axe is essential for any sane person. I may get some pics of the pass from them later today.

Skookum Bill

Skookum Bill
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 am 
The Little Giant Pass trail is interesting, rather like an appendectomy without anesthetic is interesting. In years long gone a vehicle bridge served a campground across the Chiwawa River. These days after one fords the river, the trail leads through that old campground and then begins climbing to the pass following what had been a sheep driveway - designed by sheep and constructed by sheep, i.e, a dreadful, difficult to maintain trail. However, the last switchbacks just below the pass had been nicely built to a horse standard. Very odd. Once over the pass the trail into the Napequa is a steep way trail. Very sketchy. Horses have died here, so heads up.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 10:21 pm 
I like walking around the old campground. There is an old trail sign way back there too. The trail does start out with several switchbacks before abruptly dumping you back into the old sheep driveway. I had heard that that trail was planned to be incorporated Into to the PCT, so that's where the switchbacks came in. Does that make sense?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 pm 
CyrusK wrote:
I’ll be heading over High Pass as well, could you ask them what conditions were like up there?
We had lunch with our daughter and son-in-law today. They reiterated the fact that there is a lot of snow on high pass. And they said the important key to safely crossing it depends on time of day after it softens up a bit. They crossed with microspikes and trekking poles no problem.