Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker - Olympic National Park 07/29/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 am 
Wednesday July 29, 2020 10:19 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Search Underway for Missing Backpacker A search is currently underway for a backpacker reported missing in Olympic National Park. John Solomon is a 21-year-old male from Maryland and is 6’1” tall, 150 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing a Yellowstone baseball cap and carrying a blue Kelty Backpack. His last known location is the Graves Creek Trailhead in the Quinault Rain Forest. Solomon had a wilderness permit for July 22-26 and was planning on hiking back to the Graves Creek Trailhead via Enchanted Valley, Anderson Pass, Camp Siberia, LaCrosse Pass, Two Bear, and Six Ridge. He had an additional permit beginning July 26 for an overnight trip in the Hoh Rain Forest. A family member reported him missing to park dispatch on Tuesday at 10:00 am when they did not hear from him after he was supposed to exit the wilderness from his second planned trip. Park Rangers located Solomon’s vehicle at the Graves Creek Trailhead. Three hasty search teams made up of park staff and volunteers with Olympic Mountain Rescue are in the field today covering the possible routes Solomon could have taken on his itinerary. Additional resources for the search are being coordinated. If you were in the area of Enchanted Valley, Anderson Pass, North Fork Skokomish Trail above Spike Camp, or Six Ridge on (7/22-7/26), or have any information regarding this individual, please call or text 888-653-0009. Information from other day hikers and backpackers is often extremely valuable during searches. CALL or TEXT the ISB Tip Line 888-653-0009 ONLINE form www.nps.gov/ISB > Submit a Tip EMAIL nps_isb@nps.gov EMERGENCY dial 9-1-1
John Solomon
John Solomon

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 4:42 pm 
Wednesday July 29, 2020 13:23 PDT Olympic National Park News Release UPDATE 7/29 12:30 PM John Solomon has been located, uninjured. Thank you to everyone who posted the alert and sent in information. -NPS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
reststep

reststep
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 4:55 pm 
Glad he is ok. It would be interesting to hear what happened.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
gb

gb
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 5:58 pm 
Good. Another one turned out OK.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 6:03 pm 
restep wrote:
It would be interesting to hear what happened.
Not. a. clue. About 25 years ago, as I was driving out to Hwy 101 from Sams Rapids, I encountered a young man who was walking up the 13-mile gravel road, wearing a long black "duster" coat, a wide-brimmed leather hat, and sandals. He had no pack, but was carrying a long walking stick. As that was a fairly remote location, i stopped and rolled down the window and asked him where he was headed. He told me he was planning on hiking up the Queets, over Mt. Olympus, then down the other side via the Dosewallips, and then out to Puget Sound. I was somewhat puzzled by his answer, and asked him if he had a map. He produced a copy of the Park's "Visitor Map", and proceeded to show me his intended route. I have no idea how far he made it, but I called Mike Larsen (who was the area Ranger at that time) a couple days later, and asked him if everything was alright up there, and told him about my encounter. Mike said he hadn't seen the young man, and hadn't heard any reports of anyone missing. Based on the scant information included in the Press Release from ONP, I'd speculate that it's quite possible the young man may have overestimated his capabilities. wink.gif

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 am 
If he lost the trail on Six Ridge he would not be the first person to have that happen.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 30, 2020 9:58 am 
^ That was precisely what I thought yesterday when I got the press release.

kite

kite
PostThu Jul 30, 2020 3:21 pm 
reststep wrote:
If he lost the trail on Six Ridge he would not be the first person to have that happen.
Year & Years ago I followed a game trial off the wrong side of the ridge in towards seven river, ended up at Success very very confused. Got lucky on finding my way back. Glad he is home safe.

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 6:54 pm 
6th ridge is a trail that once it was over i said "never again"..did that same loop = about 60 miles...all of it great except for the endless up down of the ridge and the messy trail finding to get to the bellevue site. I imagine he may have overestimated how far/much he could do in a day. Ah, memories.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams