Forum Index > Trip Reports > Elk Cove/Barrett Spur 7/28-7/29
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 1:54 pm 
I was pleased to have the opportunity to take my oldest nephew and his friend on their first ever backpacking trip. They flew from Ohio to Portland, visiting my folks in the Columbia Gorge. I drove down to join in on the fun. It was blazing hot the whole time I was down there, triple digits almost every day, going up on the side of Hood didn't offer a whole lot of relief. I'd done a fair bit of day hiking on various trails around Hood but had never done an overnighter. I thought that would be a good place for us, I scouted it out about 3 weeks previously and had the campsite I wanted picked out. We got up there before noon, it was deserted when we got there but really filled in during the day w/ a bunch of people doing the Timberline Trail camping in the Cove. After setting up camp we went up on Barrett Spur. I totally pooped out somewhere above Dollar Lake, was at 6000'+ but didn't get to the first bump on the ridge. The other 2 went higher. I kinda wish I was with them to make sure they didn't get themselves in trouble (there are some no fall areas on the ridge), but I also felt like my legs were telling me they'd had enough uphill for the day. Anyway all was well. We went back up and a little further counterclockwise on the TT before heading down the next morning, went a bit down from the junction with the Vista Ridge trail. Various wild flowers out, I was disappointed we mistimed it for the beargrass. The guys got to experience a hot and dusty trail, some skeeters and flies, some blowdown, but also some nice views and some evening alpenglow and just the general ambience of camping up on the side of a mountain. They both seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. I went thru a crap ton of Aquamira, treating water for 3 people during some really warm weather. Anyway some pics of the outing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 2:49 pm 
I should add I did get to show the guys some old man of the mountain, such an interesting looking seed head. They were amused by the various nicknames it goes by.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message