Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Wildfire Smoke and Health Hazards - Canadian article.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 5:15 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 6:24 am 
I am hitching up and getting out of it for a few days.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 7:51 am 
Last summer we had to wear n95 masks to just walk around Issaquah, even then it was not great.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
neek

neek
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 8:49 am 
Undoubtedly smoke is harmful to health, and we should do what we can to reduce exposure. It affects mental health too; we all know the oppressive feeling from the constant smell, sickly lighting, and reduced visibility. But it's not just smoke to worry about.
Quote:
The clearest impacts of wildfire smoke exposure are felt by people with pre-existing conditions, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and evidence is building that smoke exposure can affect people with heart disease, trigger a heart attack or stroke, and aggravate type two diabetes, Brauer said.
We should also emphasize the role of diet and exercise (and not smoking) in avoiding these "pre-existing conditions" in the first place, things more within our immediate control. It's hard to aggravate type 2 diabetes, for example, if you don't have it. If breathing wildfire smoke for a day is like smoking a pack of cigarettes, I'm not as worried about breathing smoke for a few weeks as I would be about smoking for decades. Still, it's not pleasant. While hiking near Mazama last week, I finally had a reason to wear an N95 outdoors.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 3:23 pm 
I actually enjoy it. Filters the sunlight enough so that it isn’t as oppressive. Cast a nice orange hue on everything. And it’s like the enjoyment of a campfire all the time.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 3:49 pm 
🤯