Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dutch Miller Gap Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
subarubi

subarubi
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 9:41 am 
Has anyone hiked the loop from Snow Lake TH to Snoqualmie (or counterclockwise) recently. The last trip report I have seen is from 3 years ago. Any info appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pipedream

pipedream
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 12:27 pm 
I assume you mean down Rock Creek or the old Crest Trail from Red Pass to the Middle Fork and then back from DMG via the PCT? If so, it's passable and my understanding is that the crossing of Burntboot Ck is not currently an issue. The only spot you'd encounter any snow would be NE of the Katwalk (Bumblebee Pass) and by the time you got there it'd likely be gone. The PCT route around the Four Brothers and under Chikamin Peak is snow-free

subarubi

subarubi
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:30 pm 
Yes, that's the trail. Looking to see trail conditions (easy to find, not overgrown, blowdowns). Makes me nervous when there haven't been trip reports for so long! How recently did you do this one? Also using the book Alpine Lakes Wilderness, and it claims only 11,400 ft. Mapped it on Gaia and looks closer to 18.5K

Owler

Owler
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:33 pm 
I hiked/ran from Dingford creek TH, down the Middle Fork trail up Rock creek TH to Snow Lake last weekend. No issues with the trail...Rock Creek trail is...well, rocky with a bunch of talus and a bit overgrown in the middle section. I really liked the area...it was quiet and the views of the Middle Fork valley are great.

subarubi

subarubi
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:42 pm 
Thanks! Edited my previous post, but should have just added a new comment. Also using the book Alpine Lakes Wilderness- complete hiking guide, and it claims only 11,400 ft. Mapped it on Gaia and looks closer to 18.5K. 11.4 seems low.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 3:15 pm 
pipedream wrote:
and my understanding is that the crossing of Burntboot Ck is not currently an issue.
Are you sure about this? I seem to recall reading a trip report recently saying that the log jam crossing had been washed out. If I find it, I'll post a link. Maybe someone else has more recent info. My last visit/crossing was November of 2017. It was a mess then with debris jammed on and under the old growth log. ~z

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:44 pm 
I crossed Burntboot about 2 weeks ago. Just yards downstream from the original washed out log is a tangle of logs that are easily crossed.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
hunterofelke
Roland

hunterofelke
Roland
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 8:58 am 
I crossed the log jam at Burn Boot and thought it might be better just to wade at the old crossing(at least this time of year). There is deep back up water at log jam and if you fall in.....well. I suppose a bridge over Burn Boot will never be justified. Just going from one solid spot of ground to another to span the gap would require a bridge like the gateway at the main trailhead. The old PCT is hard to find in this area, I found a sign saying trail not maintained pass this point, but it looks like once you start going up ridge there is a tread.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Aug 11, 2020 2:29 pm 
I wrote a trip report on this hike about 3 years ago. One of my favorite hikes! Basically: To Snow Lk, down Rock Ck to Goldmyer Hotsprings (for 1st night); thru Dutch Miller Gap to Williams Lk (2nd night); to Waptus Lk (3rd night); to PCT and then to Spectacle Lake (4th night); then to Ridge or Gravel lake (5th night); then out, plus a 1.5 mile road walk (attempting to hitchhike, but no takers) back to the Snow Lake parking area. I got that it was something like 61 miles and 12,935' elevation gain. Sorry, no info on current conditions! I did it in late August, I believe, and didn't encounter any snow or difficult crossings. (Although the Rock Creek trail heading down is a bit gnarly!)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 11, 2020 3:47 pm 
A friend of mine did that loop last weekend, camping Friday and Saturday nights. He had a great time traveling far with a light pack. 50ish miles.