Forum Index > Trail Talk > Petition to ban geotagging from FB group WH&C
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:31 pm 
So instead of just complaining about it, I made a petition for Facebook group Washington hikers and climbers. It’s published but is not a final draft. Looking for input on all parts of this petition. I am no writer but tried my best to get the point across short and simple. I want it to be presented respectfully and in a positive light to avoid unnecessary pushback over the objective. http://chng.it/4t5SPRpQ2w

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 4:35 pm 
What do you mean when you say "social media … has impacted environments to an exponential number?" Number of what, places in the wilderness, people hiking, nights out, off leash dogs? It's not clear, at least to me, and you'll probably have the best chances of success rewriting that part so a 12 year old will understand. (Also, I'd suggest not using the word 'exponential' in a pandemic, because we all heard it so much early on and it has bad connotations now.) When you say "USFS is overwhelmed with users this year and it doesn't seem to stop anytime soon" again I'd suggest clarifying. First thing that brought to mind for me was FS rangers being overwhelmed, and that's maybe not going to be persuasive to people who don't care. I think you're saying the land itself is stressed by too many visits, beyond its carrying capacity. I've been on nwhikers a long time and know that's a concern here, but people reading your petition may not have that background knowledge. Anyway, if that's what you mean it might help to get the point across if you can give a few examples of what you're talking about and why it's a problem. Saying removing the geotags to "offer people options to learn more from their own research" is like saying you can eat broccoli instead of iced cream, it sounds like a homework assignment the dog ate. Try something more like "Finding your own way through the wilderness and relying on your wits is one of the most important ingredients of an adventure." The way you frame the choices can have a big impact, like in opinion polls. Break the text up into paragraphs if the site allows you to. Facebook users don't have attention spans. wink.gif tongue.gif Finally, this is a hard sell. You're telling people that they're doing harm, that it's bad for hikers to learn about hikes on their site, but it's virtuous to learn about them on WTA. That's just not the kind of thing that people take well. Again, if you're a nwhiker and believe in conservation you already know the thinking behind this, but if you want any chance of convincing people, you need to spell this out, because without that knowledge it just sounds like you're saying their site is ok and yours isn't, maybe because I don't like Facebook. I don't mean for any of this to come off as harsh, I'm offering my reaction and critique in the spirit of trying to help since you asked. smile.gif

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 6:37 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I don't mean for any of this to come off as harsh, I'm offering my reaction and critique in the spirit of trying to help since you asked. smile.gif
No thank you, cyclopath! This is exactly what I want to hear. I need help from everyone who can make this as effective as possible. I don’t want this to be a battle. I’m just wanting to find ways to evolve this as digital LNT. Scrolling through the comments on WH&C I see quite a few people on each tagged post their frustration. It’s already banned to mention colchuck due to the overcrowding so obviously it is affecting these places.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 7:04 pm 
Banning is not going to help the situation, imho the best solution is education and enforcement of existing camping and littering laws, maybe free copies of “how to poop in the woods”. Car Campers are just as bad, today out by Silverton, I found an abandoned campsite, gear and trash-food strewn all over. How is a Ranger supposed to stop that, they just leave their crap and go with little chance of retribution. It’s a societal problem, people like that live the same way at home.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 pm 
"... leaving food behind in a camp can attract bears, who get habituated to human food. They can become aggressive, and have to be put down. That's not great for the bears, and seeing large wildlife can be the high point of any hike so it's good to have them around ..." Might be a good way to describe the Silverton incident Chief Joseph found. Bears aren't probably the best example though because a lot of new hikers fear them and wouldn't mind having fewer of them around. Years ago when I was younger, I car camped on highway 20. Had lunch, left my food out on the table, hiked a trail from the campground. When I got back the CG host read me the riot act, but he explained about the bears. I didn't know until I learned. I've never done anything like that since.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:50 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
they just leave their crap and go with little chance of retribution. It’s a societal problem, people like that live the same way at home.
^^^ This. Maybe we need a return to PSA commercials from the 70's re littering, Smokey Bear, etc etc. It's also a good argument for increased funding/staffing for the FS to do patrolling, enforcement & education. Is society too jaded that many are just beyond these things? "Social influencing" these days doesn't seem to extend to basic manners, cleaning up after yourself, considering your impact on others. Like my mom used to say, "What's wrong with you? You want people to think you grew up in a barn?" tongue.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 10:11 pm 
Right? ^ Remember Iron Eyes Cody of the America the Beautiful ad campaigns? He with the tear running down his cheek when encountering trash out in nature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Banning is not going to help the situation, imho the best solution is education and enforcement of existing camping and littering laws
They have banned naming colchuck lake on the forum because of the insane amount of foot traffic it received this year. Of course the enchantment are overcrowded already but this Covid era has made it much easier to join a Facebook group and ask, “where is this hike?”. It happens on every post regardless of geotagging by the poster and sure enough people in the comment area drop the name and the response is always” thanks this one is definitely now on my list!” Sure this is great to have people excited to see these beautiful places. I love the fact that more people enjoying recreating on public lands but not everyone is as courteous nor educated like we have all noticed. If banning geotagging was enforced, it would prevent over 100k + people looking for low lying fruit. Sure people might get frustrated and claim it’s gatekeeping, but like many people, we all started from point zero. I didn’t know anything about traveling in mountain environments but I went online, learned and found most places via google maps like many others. If we can thin out the lazy ones, it will guarantee prevent more people from overusing more than just colchuck. (Plus it seems better to let the masses have the enchantments and pilchuck. Better than excessive damage being dispersed to many places. But, hell, what do i know? 🤷🏽‍♂️

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:27 am 
I like your optimism with respect to influencing the modmins of the WH&C group with respect to this issue. It's not as if they haven't heard from a great many of their members on this topic. They did sour a bit on tagging during the more strict COVID lockdowns but it seemed quite temporary - one would think they might have extrapolated the concern with respect to the impact of taggged photos...

markweth

markweth
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:07 am 
Thanks for making this effort and best of luck with it! The other suggestions in this thread have been great and I don't have much to add, but I will share some background information with you that might be useful as you move forward. About three years ago, myself and a few friends made a concerted effort to lobby the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics (LNT) to add an eighth Leave No Trace principle regarding the impacts of social media: https://8thlnt.wordpress.com/ That idea was discussed on here at length: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8025549 And the general concept has been discussed in other threads: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8029907 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8030652 Although LNT did not add an eighth principle, to their credit they did release social media guidelines in 2018 that encouraged people to be more thoughtful about geotagging/location naming on social media and to recognize and reflect upon potential impacts: https://lnt.org/new-social-media-guidance/ To be honest, I thought that at that point with LNT -- a science-based outdoor ethics organization that collaborates with public land managers to try to keep our precious shared resource in good shape -- giving their "seal of approval" to the idea of exercising a bit of critical thought before posting details about sensitive locations in wilderness areas that the vast majority of hikers would accept it as a good idea. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, many people just dug their heels in deeper with their pre-existing illogical, intellectually bankrupt, or hyperbolic arguments against the idea of encouraging people to use some discretion and potentially save some wilderness landscapes from being negatively impacted or permits having to be implemented. Some organizations even went so far as to write articles encouraging people to keep geotagging: https://www.melaninbasecamp.com/trip-reports/2019/5/1/five-reasons-why-you-should-keep-geotagging Unfounded and patently absurd accusations of "elitism" and "gatekeeping" were regularly leveled against individuals and organizations suggesting that people follow the new LNT social media guidelines and the "digital LNT" idea never really caught on. Looking back, it is really frustrating and disheartening to see people ignoring LNT's guidance on this while supporting other LNT principles. I wish you will with your efforts and hope you will be more successful than I was in my efforts.

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am 
Please everyone, if you feel it couldn’t hurt to just try and make this happen, sign the petition. It’s obvious things are getting more crowded so why not try to see what this little effort can do. The only thing you lose is the 45 seconds it takes to tap/click a few things on your browser. http://chng.it/4t5SPRpQ2w
joker wrote:
I like your optimism with respect to influencing the modmins of the WH&C group with respect to this issue. It's not as if they haven't heard from a great many of their members on this topic.
Yeah, I see many disgruntled comments on many post about people who do it. I know the group means well and I don’t blame individual people for this, it comes down to the fact that we can clearly see, if something is put right in front of someone’s face (geotagged location.) it will of course draw more traffic than if it wasn’t.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:23 am 
Well, good luck with this. I think it's a worthy effort though I'm skeptical that even if they agree to ban geotagging that it will have any effect whatsoever. Most of the time what happens is someone posts a pretty picture and if they don't come right out and say where it is, people respond with "where is this?" replies. Then someone names the place and that's that. I haven't seen many posts where someone does not want the location identified that have geotagged pictures. If someone is going to say where the location is, what difference does the lack of a geotag make? Someone just posted again yesterday about the place my group is planning to go next week. They encouraged everyone to go and not worry about the reports of crowds, saying you can surely find a place to camp if you look. They were literally encouraging everyone to "pile on" at a place that by all reports is getting fairly overrun. Great, let's make sensitive high alpine lakes the next Mailbox, Colchuck, or Blanca.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:40 am 
markweth wrote:
Looking back, it is really frustrating and disheartening to see people ignoring LNT's guidance on this while supporting other LNT principles.
The guidance isn't "don't post," it's "think about it first." A lot of people have the belief that more people falling in love with the wilderness is the only long term way to preserve it. Somebody having a different opinion doesn't mean they haven't given the matter any thought. We have no idea how many of these people are following this LNT guidance and how many aren't.
LNT social media guidance (in part) wrote:
Leave No Trace is a spectrum and there are no rights or wrongs.

markweth

markweth
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:53 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
markweth wrote:
Looking back, it is really frustrating and disheartening to see people ignoring LNT's guidance on this while supporting other LNT principles.
The guidance isn't "don't post," it's "think about it first." A lot of people have the belief that more people falling in love with the wilderness is the only long term way to preserve it. Somebody having a different opinion doesn't mean they haven't given the matter any thought. We have no idea how many of these people are following this LNT guidance and how many aren't.
LNT social media guidance (in part) wrote:
Leave No Trace is a spectrum and there are no rights or wrongs.
I'm in complete agreement with you. I was just surprised to see so many people be blindly against the notion of even thinking about it, which many people were and some still are. That said, if you "think about it" and still post a picture and location description of a minimally impacted alpine lake, hot spring, waterfall, etc. that is in a designated wilderness area which lacks the infrastructure to handle increased visitation, then I would say you have missed the point.

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:41 pm 
Information wants to be free. Geo-tagging will just pop up in another group (there are already plenty of alternatives to WH&C) and people will congregate there for information. Make sure to notify us about your future petitions to ban and burn books you don’t like.