Forum Index > Trail Talk > Petition to ban geotagging from FB group WH&C
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 pm 
markweth wrote:
That said, if you "think about it" and still post a picture and location description of a minimally impacted alpine lake, hot spring, waterfall, etc. that is in a designated wilderness area which lacks the infrastructure to handle increased visitation, then I would say you have missed the point.
I say we should Ban all Trip Reports and lets talk about guns and politics. clown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 6:55 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I say we should Ban all Trip Reports and lets talk about guns and politics. clown.gif
lol.gif Now THAT's a sense of humor right there folks!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 8:39 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
markweth wrote:
That said, if you "think about it" and still post a picture and location description of a minimally impacted alpine lake, hot spring, waterfall, etc. that is in a designated wilderness area which lacks the infrastructure to handle increased visitation, then I would say you have missed the point.
He's not saying to ban anything, he's saying to think about it, and if you apply the LNT principles in the equation, you should come up with the correct answer. if not, you didn't do the math correctly. Why the resistance to request people be more careful about gassing about sensitive areas on Instagram or other faddish social media site. What's the problem, that you advise against it? Consider sharing only with your friends. While the word may explode from there, at least you made the right choice at the time. What he says makes sense (I mean markweth). It's highly likely each of us has opted to not write a trip report on a favorite place. And it's also highly likely we used to beat our chests about what an awesome place we visited - but we no longer do, because we don't want the Blanca affect there. Each of those decisions is exactly what markweth is talking about. By the way, is this site considered "social media?"

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am 
xrp wrote:
Information wants to be free. Geo-tagging will just pop up in another group (there are already plenty of alternatives to WH&C) and people will congregate there for information
Yeah, I’m a libertarian too, dude. But let’s be real here, this isn’t politics it’s conservation.. lol it’s about generalizing locations to avoid overcrowding and giving those who aren’t knowledgeable stewards more ability to conduct their own research. Example “alpine lakes wilderness” instead of saying “snow lake” Saying that geotagging will pop up in another group so what’s the point is like seeing garbage on the trail and looking at it and going, “well more people are going to litter so I’ll just leave it here.” A concentrated group like WH&C and many being brand new hikers, has a huge affect. 140,000 people all seeing the same picture with a big title of exact location.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am 
I would say yes, this site is part of Social Media. I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy, which it seems many others agree with but were afraid to say so because of backlash from the elitist members here. Again, it is my opinion that education and enforcement are the answers, not restrictions or banning.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:25 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Again, it is my opinion that education and enforcement are the answers, not restrictions or banning.
I would love for it to be this easy but, enforcement is certainly not an option since there is not enough rangers to do so. Okanogan-Wenatchee USFS has made this very clear and let’s be honest, people don’t like being told what to do so trying to educate people to not stand on a meadow like the 5 influencers they saw doing it can be a hard pill to swallow.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 4:46 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Again, it is my opinion that education and enforcement are the answers, not restrictions or banning.
I agree; but LNT and the proposal to voluntarily not post about a place isn't a restriction or a ban.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 6:39 pm 
I'm thinkin' you should be FORCED to wear a WA H&C shirt on them trails if you're a member!! Everyone sittin' down for a big lunch upon those colchuck shorelines needs to know who the problem is!!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 10:18 pm 
How about a petition to Facebook and Instagram to introduce a +- 10km randomization of photo GeoTags across all groups.... It's just as much a pipedream, but if you are going to dream, dream big.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 4:16 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
I'm thinkin' you should be FORCED to wear a WA H&C shirt on them trails if you're a member!! Everyone sittin' down for a big lunch upon those colchuck shorelines needs to know who the problem is!!
It's on their phones. That's how the WH&C Detector App works!

guibo

guibo
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 am 
I think we're overlooking the obvious solution: breed a species of squirrel that flies into a carnivorous rage anytime they see someone taking a selfie or uttering the phrase "So blessed." It might not cut down on the WHAC effect all that much, but it'll be fun to watch the influencer wannabes skulk about with a look of dread as they search for a safe spot for a furtive snap. I'm working on this with a stable of mean-spirited Douglas squirrels. High time someone put a little fight in them after getting pushed around by the eastern greys all this time.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 7:22 am 
guibo wrote:
uttering the phrase "So blessed."
this is a dead give away that one is a FREQUENT poster over at WAHC!!! only these types use this phrase!!!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 9:14 am 
This is really silly. Look, I don't like WH&C-induced crowding any more than you guys. But hiking is hot right now and they're going to flock to photogenic places. And they have every right to do it, just like we do. The idea that you're going to somehow steer them all away from "sensitive" places (whatever that means) by banning "geotagging" is ridiculous on so many levels.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 am 
Foist wrote:
This is really silly. Look, I don't like WH&C-induced crowding any more than you guys. But hiking is hot right now and they're going to flock to photogenic places. And they have every right to do it, just like we do. The idea that you're going to somehow steer them all away from "sensitive" places (whatever that means) by banning "geotagging" is ridiculous on so many levels.
+1 I am aware that some places are overcrowded, used & abused. I applaud attempts to ease this overuse. I just think trying to mitigate these issues by trying to change people's social media habits is hopelessly misdirected. As I have said in the past, this is a land management issue at heart. When places get overused, then the land managers need to set restrictions. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 11:08 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Why the resistance to request people be more careful about gassing about sensitive areas on Instagram or other faddish social media site. What's the problem, that you advise against it?
For one thing "Just think before you show people your photos (and if that think correctly you'll agree with me)" is pretty condescending. That implies that hikers don't think, that they're pretty ignorant, and that my pet annoyance is the only right way. By and large this is coming from the generation that practiced bash burn bury to deal with their garbage in the wilderness, telling the next generation not to show their photos. The thing that's annoying people enough to want this is that their favorite trails are enjoyed by more people now. It's mostly about solitude not the environment.