Forum Index > Trail Talk > Crystal Lake - Meadow Lake Beta (White Chuck)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 4:30 pm 
Asking to see if anyone has recent info on the route across from Crystal Lake - Meadow Lake as an alternative access to the Meadow Mtn Trail (White Chuck Area). Seems like not a recent reports for this area, but it being filled with blowdown is mentioned in this report in 2007. Interested in heading out beyond Meadow Mtn this weekend and would like to make a lollipop of it, returning via the old road farther south back to the TH. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:02 pm 
I have a friend who was just up there and did Crystal to Meadow Mtn; she didn't say anything at all about the condition of the pass between the two lakes, so it might be just fine now, (though that would be weird. It's never really got any work done on it in the past, why would it now?). My friend is a very hardy woman though, and if it was a hassle she may not even bat an eye. I'll ask.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 am 
As expected; it's the same as it was in 2007, and probably with more trees added since then; my friend is one of those people who just do what needs to be done and doesn't give it a second thought. But there you have it: at least one person did it this year. I wrote the trip report you cited (was it really in 2007????). It is a bit of hassle, but oh well. You either do it - or you don't. Once you get to the Pass, you cross a meadow, and the other side you're on an actual trail with switchbacks to Meadow Lake. We did it after a day-trip from Crystal to Circle Peak and back, then after dinner so we could re-locate camp and get a good start next morning. Though I enjoy a hassle or two in the backcountry, I'm not that hearty; so how bad could it be to a more hearty person? (famous last words)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 10:49 am 
Thanks for the info! I'll probably give it a go and report back with a photo, especially if there is a trail from the pass down the backside. Can't be so bad as the Middle Fork Cascade River (which I attempted but gave up pretty quickly) back in May....

rossb

rossb
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 11:55 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Though I enjoy a hassle or two in the backcountry, I'm not that hearty
Pffffffft. Yeah, right. You aren't that hearty. And LeBron James is just an OK basketball player. rolleyes.gif

Roy Jensen

Roy Jensen
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 6:58 pm 
Hiked the route between Crystal and Meadow Lks from Circle Creek Road on a day hike last year and this year on a loop from the Meadow Mtn/Crystal Lk Trailhead. A trail between the lakes is shown on the 1933 to 1953 Forest Service maps. The trail from Meadow Lk to the divide is in reasonable shape but steep. From the divide to Crystal Lk the trail is still there except when it is lost in blowdown, the route goes straight up or down the hill. The route is well marked, rough but manageable even for an old guy like me. Enjoy!

BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 8:44 am 
Great thanks!