Forum Index > Trip Reports > Raven Lake (White Chuck Mtn)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CuriousHiker

CuriousHiker
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 11:16 am 
Finally getting around to writing my first trip report, which is long overdue considering how much valuable information this site has provided me over the years. I'm a little hesitant to post this one given that there are very few mentions of it anywhere, but I have a lot of respect for this community and hope others get to enjoy this place as much as we did. While the main objective for others is typically the summit of the mountain (for good reason), we opted for some solitude at the lake. I thought it was going to be a lot more cross country travel to the lake, but to our surprise there was a boot path pretty much the whole way (although we lost it in a couple spots). One can spot the faint path from the turnoff for the summit. Once dropping down to the boot path, it's not too difficult to follow as long as you pay close attention. The only time we lost it was when crossing a couple scree slopes (one of which we went up the hard way to reach the base of the lake, instead of crossing it to find the path continuing on the other side). We were the only ones at the lake the whole time, but heard some folks summiting and saw a mountain goat pretty high up on one of the ledges. We also saw a fire pit at the lake built with some rocks, which was a little frustrating given we were above 5k feet. The bugs were definitely present, but I've experienced worse. All in all, this was a pretty special place that we'll definitely be coming back to.
Meadow area with a view of White Chuck
First views of the lake
Zoomed in shot of Pugh & Sloan
Panoramic view spot just beyond the lake
View of White Chuck from the lake
Calm water with cloud reflection
Evening view from our dinner spot
Morning view
Morning views from the panoramic view spot

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
geyer

geyer
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 am 
Awesome views and pictures! I always thought it would be fun to climb White Chuck through rat trap pass and these lakes (had no idea they had a name though).

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 12:05 pm 
Wow, looks great!

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 2:35 pm 
Wow that looks amazing!

camut

camut
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 2:53 pm 
Thanks for a great TR! I've noticed that sketchy bootpath a time or two, but was always too focused on heading for the summit of Whitechuck to give it more than a passing thought. Always promised myself I would explore it *next time*. When I initially read this TR I thought it was for a different lake, but after reading it again it became obvious to me which one this is. I didn't know it had a name. Such a lovely place! I no longer have the balance and agility I once had to be comfortable with the exposure on Whitechuck, so this gives me an alternative destination to still enjoy the area. Thanks much!

CuriousHiker

CuriousHiker
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:04 pm 
geyer wrote:
Awesome views and pictures! I always thought it would be fun to climb White Chuck through rat trap pass and these lakes (had no idea they had a name though).
This is the small lake SW of the summit (the other two on the East side have official names). I don't think this one has an official name, but I recall seeing Raven Lake on one of the maps I was looking at, and one of the admins who posted a TR a few years ago referred to it as such, so that must be the unofficial name.

CuriousHiker

CuriousHiker
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:06 pm 
camut wrote:
I didn't know it had a name.
I think this is the unofficial name. I recall seeing it on one of the maps I was looking at, and a previous TR also referred to it as such.