Forum Index > Trail Talk > Midway Meadows (2329 Road, Between Walupt & Takhlakh Lakes)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yorknl

yorknl
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 pm 
I have a question for anyone who cares to provide an answer or even just some decent speculation. My 1989 edition* of the "Trips and Trails 2 - Olympics, Rainier & the South Cascades" book describes the area near the Midway guard station as being a great place to camp in a "find your own meadow" location. I've been up there several times in recent years, including a few days ago, and the meadows are either very difficult to find or else disguised very effectively as the same higher-elevation forest that you see anywhere else along the 2329 road or others in the vicinity. And so, the question: are these meadows somewhat hidden, such that someone casually exploring the various spur roads near the guard-station site won't see them? Or, have they simply been eaten up by the trees over the decades and spit out as delicious, nutritious CO2? The site really doesn't look all that appealing at this point. There's a rickety garage, with a USFS notice on it stating the intent to remove the building rather than maintain it, where I presume the guard station was once located and not much else beyond normal-looking greenery. I can't help but wonder what it was like up there in olden days when it justified a page in the book. Thanks for any insight! *1989 edition?? I bought it new in 1990 which was just the other day. How did the book get so old so fast?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 7:55 pm 
[url]https://www.google.com/maps/place/Midway+Meadows/@46.3530249,-121.5257022,1000m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5496e38060bf70d5:0xf25d96da8cef019a!8m2!3d46.3537293!4d-121.5336951[/url Google Earth is your friend. I entered Midway Meadows Gifford ....then google automatically filled in the rest and went to the spot. That area used to be burned regularly by the Yakama Tribe. One guy who was born and raised in Randle remembers being able to get all over the place with a jeep. The burning stopped. Trees have grown in. But, there are still some meadows around. I have not been up there for quite a while. I'd like for the Yakama Tribe to open up a year round or maybe celebrate Labor Day? fireworks stand right on the boundary. The area could use a good burn. It was once fantastic huckleberry habitat.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message