Forum Index > Trail Talk > Any tips/tricks to save my toes??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 pm 
I’m not even sure if this is the right forum to even ask about his, but I’m really wanting to fix it! I apologize in advance for the photo below (feet are gross, I know), but you need to see to understand, and maybe I’m not alone! My second toes are longer than my big toes. And within the last 10 years of my life, every longer distance hike I do (>15 miles), especially with steep down hill parts, my toe nails get pulverized and turn all the fun colors and eventually die and fall off. Then the cycle repeats itself. It is not a boot issue, I’ve had 3 different pairs over the last several years. I truly think my genetically, unforgiving toes are just not meant for long distance hiking. It genuinely upsets me because I really think this is one thing that could hold me back from section hiking. Anyone else blessed with this deformity? dizzy.gif Any tips or tricks for how to save my second toe on each foot from getting annihilated? From a recent 30 mile hike...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 10:11 pm 
Have you considered amputation talking to a foot doctor? A good one will have experience with hiking, and know more and shoes and boots than anyone at REI. These folks helped me a lot with a different issue.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 11:15 pm 
I also have longer than normal second toes but not quite as long as yours, I lose nails on the second toe occasionally. I used to have more of a problem when I played basketball, when I could run fast and stopped very quickly, I smashed and lost several 2nd toe nails. I know you said that you have tried different boots with no luck, but maybe if they were a half size too big it might help? As a last resort I think there is surgery to shorten your extra long 2nd toes.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Songs2

Songs2
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 12:08 am 
"Toe bang." Can try various things, well short of surgery (though talking to a podiatrist should, I think, be on the list). Larger boots, or boots with a more accommodating toebox. Can tie boots differently for a firmer grip at midfoot and optimal heel seating so that toes slide forward less. Soaking feet in cool streams en route can reduce swelling and feels wonderful! Wrapping end of problematic toes in bandage tape (lightly, just to bulk around and provide a mini-fortress, not to keep wound edges together) might help distribute the pressure across a wider area. Shorter time in the boots! Can you switch off to more forgiving footwear on the flats? Such as water shoes. Gives your feet a break. Hope some of these ideas might help.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:27 am 
You might find some helpful info in this book: https://www.fixingyourfeet.com

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 7:18 am 
You have "Morton's toe." Search on the term, there's lots of literature online.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 8:12 am 
Working with a podiatrist is my suggestion. One thing they might suggest is going up a half size on the footwear and fitting an orthotic footbed to ensure the fit around the instep and heel are still tight.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 12:40 pm 
I'm a believer in going up a half size and compensating with heavier grade sox. Works well preventing the ol' downhill toe smash. I also believe in heavier grade boots as there is more material to absorb shock and dissipate energy. Plus, I find larger but well fitting boots seem more stable and safer. Like driving a truck vs a VW. Boots/socks are not an area to overwork weight savings IMO. Never tried orthotics. But feet are complex and I agree talking to an expert would be smart. You'll figure it out. Don't stop hiking. Good luck with this.

Monkey Del Mar
Class 2 my ass!

Monkey Del Mar
Class 2 my ass!
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 1:22 pm 
I have the same issue. On top of the good advice already given above, I suggest trimming your toenails before heading out. I seem to forget this at the start of almost every hiking season, and end up with similar results as you (currently missing 3 toenails, including both from the large toes...) Good luck, and keep hiking!

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 1:54 pm 
My feet are similar with the second toe being a little longer. I would get the same issue on long hikes but only because of downhills. About 5 years ago, I switched to just wearing sandals (Teva Hurricane types). Wasn't on purpose, I just happen to bring two left boots to a hike by accident. Wore my sandals for the hike. Never had a foot problem since. No mangled toes. No blisters. My sandals are larger than what I normally wear so the front sticks out about a half inch more than my toes so if I stub a rock it only hits my sandal and not the toe. Not everyone can do sandals because of their ankles. But I have never had an issue with my ankles or feet since. Only times I don't wear them is lots of snow and rain.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
nordique

nordique
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 3:46 pm 
I had that problem many many years ago--until I started using very thick wool socks for hiking. I used to get them at REI but I think REI stopped selling them since they cost more than most socks: about $20 a pair. I order the 'maximum cushion' socks since they appear to be the thickest socks available. I wear these socks inside I hike in very heavy Asolo hiking boots and the combination of these heavy boots and the thick socks means I can hike uphill and down without pain in my toes. It's nice not to have black toe nails anymore!

drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 4:33 pm 
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and encouragement! Sounds like I’ve got quite a bit of experimenting to do! Hopefully I figure out the right combination sooner than later breakdance.gif

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:21 pm 
Seventy2002 wrote:
You have "Morton's toe." Search on the term, there's lots of literature online.
Assuming you mean Morton's neuroma, this doesn't look or sound like MN to me, which I've had. If it did sound like MN, I would chime in with my MN advice.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:26 pm 
Monkey Del Mar wrote:
I have the same issue. On top of the good advice already given above, I suggest trimming your toenails before heading out. I seem to forget this at the start of almost every hiking season, and end up with similar results as you (currently missing 3 toenails, including both from the large toes...) Good luck, and keep hiking!
Good advice, I forgot about that part. When I played basketball keeping my toenails trimmed short usually kept me from breaking my nails.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 6:12 pm 
Conrad wrote:
Assuming you mean Morton's neuroma, this doesn't look or sound like MN to me
Often confused b/c of Morton. A longer 2nd toe is a genetic thing, as mentioned here. Really good anatomical discussion in the Wikipedia entry. I'd do a bunch of experimenting at purchase time with your hiking socks. The store has to have an incline board so you can test how much slide you get relative to the boot size and your lacing technique.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood