Forum Index > Trail Talk > Any tips/tricks to save my toes??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 6:18 pm 
drv8535 wrote:
It is not a boot issue, I’ve had 3 different pairs over the last several years.
For me, it was entirely a boot issue. I had that problem in low-height boots, especially in boots that are too wide. Mid-height boots lace that up my ankles, in narrower width that also restrain my arch, prevent my feet from sliding forward into the toe box, even on long steep downhill trails. No problem since. When trying on boots, stand on your toes, and walk around on your toes. If your feet slide forward into the toe box, the boots simply don't fit you, even though they may otherwise be very comfortable. I found narrower mid-height Keens (only some models, not all) do fit me. Arch support inserts also help by allowing me to comfortably lace the boot up tighter over my arch, so my feet can't slide forward during long downhills, even with a heavy pack. Problem solved.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Songs2

Songs2
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 7:23 pm 
Darn Tough sox have cushioning to varying degrees. Darn Tough Generally available through REI.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 7:23 am 
Lots of good advice here. My toes look similar to your toes. What has moderated, but not totally eliminated, the issue for me is- Going a half size larger in hiking shoes/boots. Using the slant board in the store. Wearing two pair of "Thor lo" socks to fill the excess space but sill give long toes room. Yes, a little warm, but seems to be "least worst" solution. Being vigilant that I can obtain solid heel lock before purchase, and remembering to do that prior to hikes featuring lengthy downhills. I've done 45 Grand Canyon backpacks and that is a venue that will beat your feet up on the first day descent if you are not mindful. Always trimming toenails before major hikes. Also trimming back the skin callus that builds up on those Morton Toes with the nail trimmer. I'm thinking it is a "all of the above" strategy that works. But my experience is that even with better sized boots, and other thoughtful preparation, mindfulness during the descent is key. I try to check and recheck hourly that I have heel lock (i.e. minimal or no toe bang).

Off trail rambler
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 am 
FWIW: In the flagship REI boot section there is a steep ramp for walking down to test whether the boot holds your foot securely enough to prevent toe bang. Another useful ritual is to loosen boots during the "at the top break and then when packing up to head down, firmly kicking each heel into the boot and firmly tying the laces, almost but not quite to the point of restricting circulation.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 9:48 am 
A picture does not show all, but it appears that you may have a lower instep, Morton is not a huge concern in your case, a lower volume boot, a good cushioned hiking sock, and possible orthotic based insoles to increase your foot volume could be. A proper measurement on a Brannock will be important and seeing a podiatrist may be in the cards. I have been fitting footwear for almost 14 years, but I am not a doctor. Good luck!

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 am 
my personal foot saving technique is to Slow Down. Take mindful steps. Take lots of breaks. My hiking mantra is to sniff every flower. My wife has RA so we need to be particularly mindful. That and a boot that really fits well. I've been wearing some Alico leather boots with high volume superfeet insoles and my feet have never been happier out on the trail. 5 years in and the boots are starting to look tattered. Glad I bought 2 pairs as they no longer make that style. I drench them with Obenaufs which softens them up, and then I wail on them to stretch it out to fit my foot. One of the reasons I love an all leather no GTX boot - the stretch. I wear super thin socks. Just enough to keep from rubbing. I haven't had a blister in years. I had issues with my plantar fascia 5 years ago, but no more. It also helps that I walk about 7-10 miles a day for my job. (cut down to 5-8 due to no longer taking the bus everyday). My feet are used to me constantly being on them. And I lost 15lbs off of my trail weight due to no longer getting a daily maple bar and a sausage patty at the rotunda...a forced diet, the silver lining of the covid shut down?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 12:04 pm 
Conrad wrote:
Assuming you mean Morton's neuroma,
Your assumption is incorrect.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 6:56 pm 
You need boots/shoes with a big ass toe box. Lots of room in the toe box for toes to wiggle around. When you try on the shoes, loosen the laces so you can push your foot forward till your longest toe touched the front of the shoe. With your foot pushed forward like that, you should be able to slip a finger between the heel of your foot and the heel of the shoe. I have major toe joint issues (large joint of big toe which has grown larger over the years) and the most comfortable shoes for me are Vibram Five Fingers. Next most comfortable are Topo Terradventure 2. They have a big toe box. Unfortunately, I've read that Topo has discontinued the Terradventure 2 come out with a Terradventure 3 where they've made the toe box smaller! grrrrrr! I should have bought several pair of the 2's. I did buy 3 pair of the Five Fingers (Vibram no longer makes the model I have. grrrrr!), and I'm already into the second pair. I hate it that shoe companies stop making a particular model after a year or three!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
nordique

nordique
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 1:04 pm 
I was reminded on my hike yesterday about another way I avoid damaging my toes on descents. At lunch time, I remove my boots and socks and--if I do not have a fresh set of thick socks and liner socks in my pack, I put my socks on the opposite feet, and re-tie my boots, pulling the laces nice and tight. I have no toe pain issues now.

Songs2

Songs2
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 6:02 pm 
pimaCanyon, Have you tried eBay? nordique, That is a good idea -- changing socks. Also helps keep blisters from forming. For OP, I would suggest physical modifications, artificial aids, inside the boot, to protect the toe at risk and spread the impact across multiple toes, and outside the boot, in the form of experimenting with different lacing designs.

nordique

nordique
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 11:35 am 
Thanks for the info about the REI hiking socks. Will have to buy a pair and check them out! REI stopped selling my favorite thick socks.

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostWed Aug 12, 2020 1:13 pm 
And last but not least with many foot issues over the years..reconstruction on both feet and 5 toes that r fused..don't bend at knuckle. I wrap 3 toes 1st with paper tape ( up/over and 1 time round) then use water proof tape up over 1 x round which works 4 me. The tape generally stays fixed 2 - 3 days..and one toe i put a silicon toe guard over just the paper tape. ( check out zen toes). And yes..a good podiatrist is great if u have good insurance. I was told by one to stop walking/hiking and take up biking to solve my foot problems. Wrong answer! Good luck..dont give up😎

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams