Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skyline Divide
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostFri Aug 07, 2020 8:13 pm 
The 'book' states how grand the views are..... Well they under-exaggerate eek.gif However: the 13 mile road off of 542 that gets you there is pure pothole hell mad.gif DO NOT TAKE YOUR LITTLE CAR THERE ! If you do, you will be eternally sorry. The trail is in great shape. A bit steep. But once you top out on the ridge; the only problem is how to decide when you want to stop walking. So much to see.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 11:18 am 
Any pics? You might find belemnite fossils on the ridge up there too.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 12:13 pm 
Aren't little car independent suspensions best when it comes to "pot hole hell?"

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 2:29 pm 
Those pot holes are so deep and wide that they were even hard on my Tacoma to get through.... As for photos. I have tried and tried to post them on here. Never seem to get them to go. Why can't NWHikers put in place a photo program that will adjust whatever photos you send here to fit the format. BTW. My daughter refers to me as: " A techno Neanderthal"

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 3:44 pm 
CC: I agree on the photo posting. I have some nice photos of Skyline from several years ago, but have never learned how to post. Why can't they just do like emails and click on the pictures and post as an attachment. Maybe I'm making it a bigger chore than it should be. I don't remember the road being that bad when I was there. A buddy of mine and I hiked out along the ridge about as far as the trail went which put us right at the base of Baker. We planned to spend 2 nights, but rain and wind came up the first night. We survived that but we were out of there the next morning.

neek

neek
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 3:55 pm 
Celticclimber wrote:
Why can't NWHikers put in place a photo program that will adjust whatever photos you send here to fit the format.
I used to run the photo portion of a site...storage and bandwidth requirements are huge. Unless you are opposed to Google (which would be completely reasonable), just put 'em in a google photos album and copy the public link to the little box above the edit window next to "Pics", with "google photos" selected in the prior box. Then it's just a matter clicking the ones you want. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10921

Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 8:19 pm 
neek Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try and see what develops. smile.gif I have quite a few pics from old and recent hikes I would like to share. Since CV we have been getting out on as many hikes as we can. Did 3 this week. Age doesn't allow us anything difficult. We have a lot of good scenic spots here in Central Oregon that might be of interest to the viewers if anyone happens down this way.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 8:41 pm 
Dick B wrote:
We have a lot of good scenic spots here in Central Oregon that might be of interest to the viewers if anyone happens down this way.
I would certainly be interested in seeing that. I've done a handful of hiking trips in that area, really enjoy it. A very different flavor than up here in Pugetopolis.

mike

mike
PostSun Aug 09, 2020 7:14 pm 
in the meantime. Here you go.