Forum Index > Trail Talk > Timberline trail (Mt Hood) - conditions, maps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 7:16 pm 
Our Olympics or North Cascades trip was postponed due to COVID. The former gave out all the walk up permits earlier in the summer; the latter I’ve decided is too far to drive this summer without clear plan/advance reservation/permitting. So we’re doing Mt. Hood, which isn’t a half bad plan B, eh? Anyone hiked it recently or at this time of year? Do I need an ice axe or microspikes or instep crampons? Also, REI and Next Adventure are sold out of maps. They both suggested picking up a map at the store at Timberline Lodge when we start. Of course that could be sold out, too. So what’s the next option? I have a phone but not GPS unit and want to preserve the battery for photos and emergency use. I’m used to maps and a compass. Good source to print a decent topo map? Obviously willing to pay. I also plan to print out oregonhikers trail description. I understand it’s been crowded up there this summer with COVID keeping people close to home, but I don’t want to rely on others for navigation.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 7:23 pm 
This is a good resource for questions about the TT. https://www.oregonhikers.org/ I traveled along a short section of it about 1 1/2 weeks ago (Elk Cove counterclockwise to Vista Ridge junction). I would be SHOCKED if you needed crampons/ice axe for any portion of it currently. There can be some tricky creek crossings on the route. Based on a recent TR I saw all should be passable currently. You might have to look slightly upstream or downstream from the trail to find the best place to cross. It definitely appeared to have plenty of traffic, and I was there midweek. Elk Cove was fairly quiet most of the day, but really filled in in the late afternoon/early evening w/ TT hikers camping there.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 7:24 pm 
Recent TR You shouldn't need any snow equipment, especially after the heat this past week. Topos are easy to make and print at Caltopo. Most of the navigation is pretty easy so you won't need to check your phone GPS very often if you use it.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 8:26 pm 
great, thanks everyone. I actually didn’t know oregonhikers had a forum/trip reports. We’re planning to take 5 days (my 10 year old is with me) so we’ll have quite a bit of food and don’t want to bring bear cans. Are there plenty of places to hang food?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 08, 2020 8:40 pm 
letsgobobby wrote:
Are there plenty of places to hang food?
Plenty of timber along the route. There are some open, mostly bare areas, but I wouldn't think you'd have a problem finding trees by most of the popular camping areas.

letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostSun Aug 09, 2020 9:34 am 
great. I’m having trouble getting registered for the forums so I’m going to post a couple more route questions here, if that’s ok. I’m working on printing out my maps from CalTopo. Is either CW or CCW definitely better? With 5 days we have time for early camping and roaming, and we value nice campsites. Plus with it being pretty crowded I figure we get done with our hiking between 8-1 and get a good spot before the crowds start poking around. Avoid camping in someone’s loo from last night, etc. I know the 3 night option is more common so any suggestions about where to camp would be appreciated.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 09, 2020 11:03 am 
I've never looked real closely at doing the TT, so I haven't studied up on all the logistics. I've seen arguments for both CW and CCW. Probably doing 5 days instead of 3 negates some of the debate. I think going CCW there's a fairly significant climb up from the Sandy or Muddy Fork, assuming Timberline Lodge is the starting point. I do know going CW, getting up out of the White River drainage is kind of a PITA. It's steep, and the tread is actually sand. It wasn't much fun day hiking, I imagine carrying a heavier pack would be even less fun. That's literally right before the end point, might not be the way you want to finish up. I'll get back to campsites in a minute.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 09, 2020 11:24 am 
I've day hiked a fair bit of different sections along the TT, but my recent one night at Elk Cove is my only time backpacking on Hood. Again I haven't looked closely at all the campsites and the distances between. I like running water near camp, so for me that might rule out some otherwise great spots. Around Cooper Spur and on over to Gnarl Ridge/Lamberson Butte would have some great views, but I think it's fairly high and dry for the most part. I love McNeil Point, I'm not sure how many good campsites are up there, and again I think it would be dry. Dollar Lake has a few spots. Might be fairly popular. The lake is small, not exactly sparkling clear water, I wouldn't be super excited about getting drinking water from it. Elk Cove was nice. Definitely popular. From the Vista Ridge/Cairn Basin junction all along toward Dollar Lake, I think that's Wy'east Basin (?), there were little creeks constantly and a few campsites here and there just off to the side of the trail. I passed thru briefly once but Elk Meadow, below Gnarl Ridge, looked like it would be a real nice place to camp. I think Paradise Park is fairly popular, can't remember for sure but there must be some water around there. Fairly close to the lodge, not sure if that would be far enough to go for day 1 if you were going CW. I think there are only 3 of the stone shelters remaining--Cooper Spur, McNeil Point and Cairn Basin. They're kinda cool to look at, but I think camping in them isn't recommended. Inside they are kinda musty and dingy, and I imagine they are rodent hotels. Hope that helps a little bit.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Aug 09, 2020 2:43 pm 
I was on the portion shared with the PCT this time last year. I was shocked how many people were doing the TT. Most were people doing the TT. My advice would be to get a campsite earlier rather than later, and even then be prepared to have others camp nearby. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
drm

drm
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 7:31 am 
I've done the loop once and am planning to do so again in the coming weeks (plus one failed attempt). For a five day trip from the lodge done clockwise, a likely itinerary might be (1) Paradise Park or Rushing Water Creek, (2) Cairn Basin, (3) Cloud Cap campground, (4) Newton Creek. Done either way really. I agree that traction will not be needed. Probably the only snow on the trail by now is between the high point and upper Gnarl Ridge and it should be midday soft when you get there. Your early stops should do you well for camps - unless your itinerary includes Saturday. Plenty of non-looping campers arrive Friday and set up for the weekend, so Saturday always requires care on Mt Hood. Best to avoid the more popular locations for a Saturday camp or go somewhere where there is plenty of overflow or options available, especially if you need a large camp. Solo hikers can improvise fairly easily, large groups not. And since many areas can be accessed from short trails coming up, Friday and Sunday see some of that too. Last time I did it I ran into a lot of people planning to camp at the Cooper Spur stone shelter. I would not recommend this. It is a great place for a break, and a short walk to the right provides a dramatic view of the Eliot Glacier. But it is a poor camping area. There are some camps high on Gnarl Ridge with water if you want a high camp. The stone shelters are historical oddities, not camping huts. Remember that the tradeoff for avoiding the regulatory hassle of Rainier is the tussle for campsites and dealing with crowds.

Walkin' Fool

Walkin' Fool
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 12:07 pm 
You probably know this, but there are several water crossings that come from glaciers, and as such can be significantly higher/faster as the day goes on. I've definitely seen nervous hikers at some of the TT crossings (and may have been one myself a time or two!). If you're getting near camp-time and get to a crossing that makes you (or your kid) uncomfortable, you might consider camping on the near side if possible and crossing in the AM, as it will likely be lower. I would bring water shoes just in case a dry crossing isn't doable, or in the event a wet crossing seems safer.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 12:48 pm 
Walkin' Fool wrote:
You probably know this, but there are several water crossings that come from glaciers, and as such can be significantly higher/faster as the day goes on. I've definitely seen nervous hikers at some of the TT crossings (and may have been one myself a time or two!). If you're getting near camp-time and get to a crossing that makes you (or your kid) uncomfortable, you might consider camping on the near side if possible and crossing in the AM, as it will likely be lower. I would bring water shoes just in case a dry crossing isn't doable, or in the event a wet crossing seems safer.
+1 And these areas end up having campers stacked up with late comers scrambling to find a decent camp spot. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
drm

drm
PostMon Aug 10, 2020 1:41 pm 
Although not impossible, such water crossings are not very likely after the middle of August unless there is a major heat wave going on.

letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 7:11 pm 
Hi all, we’re back! Great trip. Won’t cross post a trip report here but will say thanks for the tips, they were very helpful.