Forum Index > Trail Talk > Another friend missing please send good vibes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 8:41 am 
I know no one here will probably have heard about this, but I have to share. A good friend of mine in Colorado (a big member of the Colorado peak bagging and running community) went missing in the San Juan mountains Saturday. Ben is an awesome guy who is so excited to also complete the Wyoming 13ers, and I was so excited for him giving him even more stoke during our few climbs together. We always talked about beta and how he wanted to fast pack all these big lists of peaks. He is moving towards a very successful climbing career and at only 26 is just getting started. He regularily is faster than I am and was last seen on a long ridge of 13ers near the more popular 14ers Redcloud peak 5and Sunshine peaks. I have gone my whole climbing career without losing a friend who I have either known or climbed with, and the thought of losing 2 in just a one month period really stings. Please send good vibes. I'm hoping he's found, at this point its been three cold nights up in the Colorado apline likely above 12k feet where it gets into the 20s at night this time of year. 😓 Heres the thread on 14ers.com about the search. Ben is just like Jake in so many ways too...similar outlooks and goals and is well known in the Colorado community. Missing hiker

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 9:53 am 
So sorry to hear about this, Matt. My thoughts are with you.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 9:06 pm 
I'm really sorry to hear about Ben. Damn it, the mountains can be so unforgiving. This year can go ahead and be over already. I'm really sorry, Matt. waah.gif

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 9:10 pm 
They found his body this afternoon. sh## this sucks

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 9:17 pm 
Sorry for your loss. It's been a difficult year for me as well, I have lost 3 family members, two very good friends and my daughter is estranged from me at this time. All we an do is carry on and try to enjoy life, since as we know, it can go by fast.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
pula58

pula58
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 11:37 am 
Matt Lemke wrote:
They found his body this afternoon. sh## this sucks
That is awful Matt. Terrible. May he rest in peace. Sorry to you for the loss of your friend, and condolences to all his friends and family. :-(

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 2:09 pm 
A friend sent me this when I told him of these mountaineering tragedies. It helped me a little. So much sadness.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.