Forum Index > Trail Talk > Have Beta for Lake of the Angels in Spring?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DancingUpMountains
DancingUpMountains

DancingUpMountains
DancingUpMountains
PostSun Mar 13, 2022 1:25 pm 
Hi there! New here and not completely in tune with the norms here, nor how active this place is, but thought I'd give it go smile.gif. We love to snow scramble, and looking for a new adventure. We loved Lake of the Angles when we did it YEARS ago in the summer, but we'd love to give it a go this Spring... thinking last wkend of March or first wkend of April depending on weather. Yes, we use Mountain Forecast. Has anyone given it a go recently? Or have done it early Spring? It seems to be a low snow yr, but past reports could be useful still. In case you're concerned about our experience, we have crampons, ice axes, and experience on the peaks throughout the i90 corridor as well as MSH. We have good snowshoes, and stamina, and have backpacked in summer and winter. Thanks in advanced, I look forward diving into a community that is full of genuine outdoor enthusiast!

Life is too short not to experience as much of planet earth as possible
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Mar 14, 2022 5:01 pm 
I've never been there but I've wanted to traverse between there and Lena for a few years. I've read that there is a pretty exposed headwall half way up the trail. If you've been there you're probably familiar, but that might be sketchy on snow/ice.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Mar 14, 2022 5:21 pm 
The difficult section mentioned above is ~40 ft of rock face. Last spring I hiked up to Lake of the Angels and found a good rope that was there to use as a hand-line. The trail will merge into snow that will be with you all the way to the lake. Routefinding might be tricky so download the route on your phone. It will help you immensely. You shouldn’t do this solo. There are places where you need to cross the watercourse (Whitehorse Creek) and it is hollow beneath what looks like solid snowpack. The lake will be frozen over. Camping will either be on snow or postage stamp sized areas above the lake on treed rises. Here is one link but there are others to be found on peakbagger.com https://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1166394

Chief Joseph, zimmertr
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 15, 2022 11:10 am 
If this is the lake Im thinking of, its hands required for at least 35% of the hike. To say its steep is way under stating it. I wouldnt want to experience snow or heavy rain on this hike.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Chief Joseph
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Mar 15, 2022 11:46 am 
I went once there in the middle of February. Putvin trail is not bad at all, just steep, but not hard. It rarely have lots of snow and will probably not have a lot of snow at all now, as this part of Olympics is often dry.

OlympicMtnHiker

OlympicMtnHiker
PostThu Mar 17, 2022 9:20 am 
I've been to Lake of the Angels about half a dozen times in various times of the year. The conditions seem to vary quite a bit based on the year. My first time going there in mid-October we got snowed on while at the lake (1990). Another time, when day hiking to the lake in the middle of July (2013) we hit continuous snow just as we reached the Pond of the False Prophet, a little above the head wall. That year there was 3+ feet of snow all the way from Pond of the False Prophet up to the lake and the Lake was still completely frozen over except a tiny spot near the outlet. Yet, in 2019 I hiked to the lake in the first week of June and there wasn't a single patch of snow anywhere on the route and the lake was completely thawed out. So it's hard to say what you will run into this year. You mentioned that you had already done the route years ago, so you may already know all of this, but the trail is 4 miles each way. The first 2 miles is relatively easy and the trail parallels an old abandoned road. I would actually recommend starting at the normal trailhead and then cutting to the old road at about .5 miles where the trail nearly touches the road just before the first big switchback to the west. From this point up, the old roadbed is in quite good condition and you may get to see a large waterfall (depending on snowmelt conditions) about a half mile farther on. If you take the trail all the way, you'll miss the waterfall. At 2 miles, the trail and the old roadbed intersect. Be sure to cut back to the trail here. From this point on the trail becomes a *lot* steeper. If the trail is under snow, I would highly recommend a bringing a very detailed map with the route or GPS tracks as it would be easy to lose the trail in several places. The first one being as you traverse the edge of a large meadow at about the 3500 foot level. After leaving the meadow there is a steep climb up the headwall. One pitch is particularly steep and involves a 30 or 40 foot scramble. In clear, dry conditions this is usually not a major issue for anyone who has at least intermediate level scrambling experience, but it could be a completely different experience if the route is snow covered. A little while after climbing the head wall, the route flattens out for a bit near the ONP boundary and Pond of the False Prophet. In this area you will have to cross Whitehorse creek which isn't terribly deep but might involve some leaping or wading if it's a warm day and the snow is melting. It also could be a bit sketchy if the creek is running beneath the snow. After the creek crossing, it's easy to lose the route again, even if it's not snow covered. The route from here goes up the steep mostly open slope directly north of the creek crossing. This is the final big climb before the lake. If the snow is consolidated, this is a fun part of the route. If not, it could be a bit sketchy. After the steep slope, the trail levels off and climbs the final bit up to Lake of the Angels. If you have time and the snow conditions and weather allow it, I highly recommend scrambling up to the divide/pass above the lake. It's only a half mile or less and the views are worth it.

zimmertr