Forum Index > Trip Reports > Coldwater Trail to Boundary Trail Loop MSHNM 8.11.20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Aug 13, 2020 11:58 am 
This one really got me back into the ridge-loop groove! You do have to carry water for all of the hike. I had to contend with some wet brush yet it's a dry rocky one. Trail runners were ok. While there are some forested areas you are out in full sun most of the time. There's some exposure even if you are on a trail. If you are an exposure phobe like me, right after "the arch" will bother you! From the beginning I had the trail to myself and it wasn't as expected. I imagined walking through a ghost forest but this wasn't the case. It was like walking through any old forest and then into meadows. It's like Sasquatch was collecting wood for his campfires or something.
For several years I had been a lurker on this heavy equipment website looking for abandoned equipment on Mt St Helens. Fascination to finally see this stuff in person.
As I hiked the views reminded me I was indeed where I was. It's hard to believe the view of the mountain, it's like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time. So immense. The mountains all around evidence of what occurred 40 years ago.
The further in I got I realized how important a quality sunhat, long sleeve shirt and gallon of water had been. The sun seemed relentless.
I'm not a huge fan of exposure and this loop tested some of that. Although to some it maybe seemingly benign, to others who over think things, there are some sketchy spots.
Right after "the arch" where I got sketched out. I forced myself to look at my feet and just keep going. From here the immensity of the Mount Saint Helens experience unfolded.
Further down is where I encountered more people. It was a mask on, mask off thing...
Beyond the observatory I was alone again.
Although I had seen many crows and chipmunks, I hadn't seen anything else until this fella.
From here I was pretty worn out and didn't take many pictures.
To finish the loop I had a quiet road walk back to the trailhead. 16.5 miles I used Nat Geo Topo for elevation gain 3,000 ft. AllTrails said 3,589 feet elevation gain but going the opposite direction. On the drive to my next destination I stopped by a view of a "sedimentation dam."
Further down the road more battle damaged heavy equipment...
A long day after shaking the rocks out of my trail runners. Feet brown with dirt and sunburn lines on my ankles. A couple Advil, apricots and lots of water on the ride up north on the the next one.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message