Forum Index > Trip Reports > Paradise Lakes trail from NFS county road (Remake  sorta )
Previous :: Next Topic  
RidgeRoamer

RidgeRoamer

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 1:24 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Paradise Lake
Paradise Lake
Paradise Lake
Paradise Lake
NorthWest Tiger Salamander
NorthWest Tiger Salamander

I think the last few trip reporters to Paradise Lake described a dying trail to the lake.   Mother Nature has defiantly done a great job making the trail vanish.  The trail is getting a make over the first mile is good now.

What's been happening in 2019-2021:

1)  Cleared (unplugged) 5 coverts on the road to Paradise Lake to try to save the road. Cleared out of sticks and mud for 5 ditches.  9/13/20 cleaned  out the final covert to stop water on the road. on 10/24/20 cleared blocked gully to keep water off the road  I think the road will live another year01/14/21 cleared out two of culverts that where blocked with branches and mud

2) Cleared out the trail and tagged it clearly the first river crossing.  (3 days)
on 11/28/20 cleared out 4 new trees from the trail.
01/14/21 moved 5 more fallen trees and made a swamp bridge through the muddy part of the trail to smoothed out the trail, also made it easier to cross the stream log jam at the very beginning of the trail

3) Cleared about 20% of the trail between river crossings and tagged it to the second smaller river  (1/2 day)  needs another day of work in the fall.   on 9/13/20 fully cleared out trail to 2nd  River 150 yard before the crossing.  Trail is very good now for 3/4 of a mile on 11/28/20 moved a few new trees, and cleared brush and moved fallen trees the north side of the 2nd river crossing Only about 50 yards of brush clearing and this last part before the river will be great, the snow was two feet deep so it was not so easy to chop away. Might have to wait till the spring.
On 12/5/20 Moved 10 fallen smaller trees on the trail just before the 2nd river crossing only about 50 yards left and this part of the trail will be in top shape1 01/22/21  started clean up brush and clean up last section of the trail before the 2nd river , the result is you can do the first mile in 20-25 minutes instead 70-75 minutes

4.  Loppered devil club, stickers and bushes (at least 500 lops) and tagged the trail from the 2nd river through the valley to the talus slope still need another day of work.   Watch out for a ground yellow jacket nets just after the 2nd river.  Hope to work only this section in October on 150 yards left to go  on 12/5/20 loppered for 2 hours from the 2nd river to the beginning of the fern valley , also got about 10 more dead trees off the trail. The trail is now 95% clear all the way to the lower valley.  A lot of the snow evaporated from the weekend before but there was still about 1 foot at 3,000 feet

5.  Tagged and lightly loppered brush on the trail from the bottom of the talus slop to the top. (500 lops)  Need a day of work.  All the tags are line of site up and down.  Hope to work on this section in October 1/3 of Mile

6.  Loppered (200 lops) the final ascent to the ledge above the talus slope this area was really bad.  (1/2 day)  Just needs another hour or two on this segment. 

7.  Tagged the trail and loppered lightly to the V-Rock   need another 3 hours of work.  (200 lops)

8.  From the V-Rock which is tagged up the cliffs  (someone put ropes back up)  I loppered and move small trees (The summer was really wet this year so it is not dry like most years- Yuk)  (500 lops)

9.  After the short cliff/roped section ,  I loppered (200 lops)   it needs another 4 hours of lopping.

10 After the accent and to the flat rock I tagged but it needs a lot of lopping (double yuk)  but at least now it is line of site tagged to the big flat rock.

11  From the big flat rock to the river and up the trail is a mess,  almost better to stay under the mature trees.  Not sure what how to fix this area  for the last 20 minutes to the lower lake.

12.  All three lakes are great!! and so is the fishing.

Rough Way to Paridise Lakes
Rough Way to Paridise Lakes
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostMon Dec 07, 2020 10:17 am 
That's amazing work there Mr..  Without you that trail would have gone the way of the DoDo long ago.  Hell, even the culvert work is amazing.  Im not sure how the forest service would feel about that, but its great you did it.  In not sure Ill hike again, but its great to know someone is taking care of that trail.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
mosey

mosey

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 2:11 pm 
I've got my eye on that trail, it looks like a beautiful destination/campsite. Plus some scrambles to Canoe/the other peaks could be done from there. Next summer I'll do some clippin.

I believe that's a juvenile Pacific Giant Salamander, I have ID'd one before. Tiger salamanders are more stripey.

Pacific Giant Salamander (a foot long)
Pacific Giant Salamander (a foot long)
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RidgeRoamer

RidgeRoamer

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 2:49 pm 
Thank for the ID on the Salamander,  I love those creatures  only seen three of them.  The ridge up to Bench lake can take you  back down to Kanim Lake or up to the ridge toward Coney Lake its high enough where the brush is not an issue ...
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 8:55 am 
I always felt the best route into Coney was Bare Mtn lakes to the ridge above Kanim and over.  Its pretty easy.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
lopper
off-route

lopper

off-route
PostSat Dec 19, 2020 7:54 pm 
97Lennox
97Lennox

Agreed, BPJ.

"pretty easy", like you say.  And there is some scenic slab-walking along the way.

It sure beats brush-bashing.

You can get to the same route by bailing off the Bare Mtn trail at the pass just beneath the summit.
RidgeRoamer

RidgeRoamer

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 9:55 pm 
I think so too,  I love the ridges they are great to walk on.   I hope the lennox road holds there a is section where the river side is eroding away on the road up.
RidgeRoamer

RidgeRoamer

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 10:08 am 
Lots of snow (2 -4 feet more than last year) in the upper valley on the road to Paradise on the NFS county road,  Hope the spring melt is not so crazy and it does not blow through all the culverts and takes out the old road, here's hoping for a steady spring snow melt for both the main NFS end road and the Lennox creek road.
Type E

Type E

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 am 
Last time I was up that trail there was a garden hose to help you through the steeper parts .  Nice work!

--------------
Please follow me at: http://alpinelakesaficionado.blogspot.com/
timberghost

timberghost

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 6:20 am 
Thanks