Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deer Creek Pass: 08/12/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Aug 13, 2020 5:29 pm 
Trying to get a few more after work hikes in before fall. I've been meaning to check out Deer Creek Pass for awhile. The washouts on the road in (FS 4052) are repaired but one of the washout areas is likely still impassible for vehicles without high clearance or 4WD. The gravel hasn't really set in this spot, so there are craters that require some confidence to drive through. Big thanks to the volunteers who have clipped this trail recently - I believe Whitebark and CP (from WTA) have contributed to this effort. We followed the short trail over a shoulder above Deer Creek Pass proper and started descending before we realized we weren't headed toward the talus field. We bushwhacked a bit before settling down for dinner in an opening in the trees. Come to find out later, we walked right past the turnoff at the pass. Oops. I'll have to return sometime - I need to check out the historical relics up there anyway. Enjoyed food, wine, and a beautiful sunset over Three Fingers before heading back down.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 13, 2020 6:58 pm 
Yes, that washout was very challenging for my '90 Celica, barely made it up and bottomed out on the way back.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 7:48 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Come to find out later, we walked right past the turnoff at the pass.
I did the same. I presume you were looking for the turnoff to the mine. Someone removed/stole the sign, and the tread is invisible at the start, but kicks in not very far from there. Glad to hear this trail is getting some attention since there are very few ways into that part of the range and the views are pretty striking.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir