Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dome & Sinister Peaks, 08/13-15/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 4:05 pm 
Dome and Sinister Peaks, 08/13-15/2020 Stats: 48 miles, 14,000' gain. Trailhead: Downey Creek. Routes: Standard Dome Glacier for Dome, southern crossing of Dome to approach Sinister.
Dome from Sinister
Dome from Sinister
I figured that these two were out for the year. With being unable to coordinate a partner (I had made an attempt once but weather shut it down) to cross the Chikamin in time before it was out, I had shoved them to next year. This was about when a good friend directed me to an October 2009 report of a southern crossing of Dome to get to Sinister using beta from "Fay" (I presume the fabled Pullen). Without a track and using the report, I cobbled together a route using maps and satellite imagery with a few variations from the 2009 report, unsure if my deviations would be viable; they were. I'll cut out a lot of chaff by principally going into detail on the southern route. Thursday: I had planned to camp at Six Mile Camp (ahem, 8 miles in!) but work was wonky so I left early and was able to get on the trail by 1pm. This approach is longer than I had expected. And, yeah, that heather and such up Bachelor Creek would be rough when NOT completely dry.
Nearly 14 miles in, according my my GPS.
Nearly 14 miles in, according my my GPS.
I arrived at Cub Lake a bit before 2000 (8 pm) and made camp on a rock rock outcropping in the basin just beyond.
Over the direction of Itswoot Lake from Camp 1
Over the direction of Itswoot Lake from Camp 1
Overall, I was surprised by the high quality of trial to this point! Friday: I awoke and was on the move at 0620. I made it to Itswoot Ridge by 0700 and laid eyes on Dome; what a gorgeous, alpine peak! The rocky summit pyramid, the overflowing glacier moraine, the wildflowers on every surface not made of glaciers past.
Itswoot Ridge Pano
Itswoot Ridge Pano
I arrived at my jumping off point from the standard route (0800, 6,300' where people ascend steeply to the Dome Glacier), assembled my day pack and was on the move by 0830.
Beneath the Dome Glacier. According to maps, I was standing on it
Beneath the Dome Glacier. According to maps, I was standing on it
Receded about 300 vertical feet from my USGS map (on Gaia). I passed beneath the Dome Glacier, staying around 6,600', slowly ascending to a notch/snowfield ramp at 7,000'. Here, I enter the next basin and headed due east along the 7,000' contour; undulating over the easy terrain to the next hurdle.
Ramp to get out of first basin beneath Dome Glacier
Ramp to get out of first basin beneath Dome Glacier
Grassy ledge
Grassy ledge
Easy traverse terrain in the second basin. En route along 7,000' contour
Easy traverse terrain in the second basin. En route along 7,000' contour
The downclimb (500-600') into the basin south of Sinister seemed to be the crux in the prior report and it's no joke. At 7,000', it descends sharply for about 200' on heather before reaching what appear to be cliffs. After some lateral scouting I found a beautiful "Z-shaped" descending ledge/ramp system that popped me out right into the gentle snow slopes of the basin.
Sinister sighted
Sinister sighted
Snow finger I chose. Ledges provided easy access once gained. The finger above mine is the proper choice.
Snow finger I chose. Ledges provided easy access once gained. The finger above mine is the proper choice.
In the middle of "Z-shaped ramps"
In the middle of "Z-shaped ramps"
I crosses the basin on snow and ascended what I thought was a snow finger that connected to the standard Sinister-Chikamin col. I was wrong. More cliffs. I about crapped myself. I made an error. Where the prior report had gained the snow of the Sinister Glacier much lower, I chose an option that didn't descend as much and I might be paying for it. I scouted some more and lo-and-behold ANOTHER stunning ledge led right to the col!
More ledgy ramps! This view is looking back (the return view)
More ledgy ramps! This view is looking back (the return view)
Popped out right at the col
Popped out right at the col
These Ledges weren't terrible either. They had precipitous falls, however, they were all several feet wide grass and earth covered, carved into the smooth glacial-eroded rocks. I was counting my blessings. I may coin this route the "green ledges" or "grassy ledges" since they were the keys to success. From there, the route was standard up Sinister. I gained the ridge immediately to bypass the "heinous" gully and summitted at 1330, 5 hours from my stowed gear.
I've got a lead on the nudey card culprit!!
I've got a lead on the nudey card culprit!!
Yet another soaked summit booklet
Yet another soaked summit booklet
Gunsight from Sinister
Gunsight from Sinister
I looked at the Chikamin and it looked nice! Largely filled in and not terribly steep.... I thought about using it to bag Dome and make a sweet loop. As I descended, I wanted to get a better picture of the Glaicer from Sinister to the low point between the two peaks. Unfortunately, there was a bergschrund preventing passage. I'm glad is saw it there instead of coming from Dome. What a let down hat would be.
Bergie line
Bergie line
This was about the time that I comically threw my hands into the air out of disgust and promptly tossed one of my poles, which wasn't tethered to my hand, down the north face of Sinister. Better that than my soul, Sinister. I kid, I'm a ginger, I have no soul.
Z-shaped ramps on the return
Z-shaped ramps on the return
Having planned for another full day anyway, I wasn't too let down. I retraced my steps and was back to my pack below Dome before 1900. Not wanting to waste 2 hours of daylight, I loaded up and ascended from 6,300' to about 7,200' where I found another rock outcropping to open bivy. What a sunset and night I had smile.gif
Saturday: Moving at 0615, I summitted Dome at 0800 via the mellow standard route and left the summit at 0845. When back to my pack at 1000, I melted snow, drank lots of water and electrolytes and headed out, knowing it was going to be another big day.
Dddooommmeee
Dddooommmeee
Slithering Sinister
Slithering Sinister
Dome Glacier terminus
Dome Glacier terminus
A truly alpine setting
A truly alpine setting
Bye, Cub
Bye, Cub
Bachelor Creek Valley
Bachelor Creek Valley
Fewer than Four. More. Miles.
Fewer than Four. More. Miles.
The End at 6:58 PM.
The End at 6:58 PM.
I eventually arrived back to the car right at 1900 and was ridiculously relieved. I was so glad to have these two peaks out of the way. A stunning area, but you do have to work for it. I left the trailhead to drive back to the Tri-Cities for work at 0600 Sunday. EDIT: My avatar has been "righted!" Maybe I wanted to look at everyone 90 degrees off. 😝

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 5:29 pm 
How was Cub to Downey TH?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 6:37 pm 
Trails are in excellent condition!

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 7:58 am 
Any pics of the summit ridge of Dome? Beckey's famous boulder fell off decades ago; I wonder what it looks like now.

Jonny V

Jonny V
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 1:29 pm 
While the Dome area is out of this scrambler’s league, I have studied the area for years through books, maps and reports. Your description but especially your photography and choice of subject matter really enhanced my knowledge of what it’s truly like around there. Great photos.

There's time to conceive in and time to expire though the time twixt the two tells the tale that transpires - "Time Waits For No One", Ambrosia
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 1:35 pm 
Looking toward the summit, along the ridge.
Looking toward the summit, along the ridge.
Looking back at the ridge from the summit.
Looking back at the ridge from the summit.
Video along the ridge
Video along the ridge

Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 1:37 pm 
Jonny V wrote:
what it’s truly like around ther
Thanks, Jonny. I'm always amazed, perhaps flabbergasted, by how different areas area when compared with my visions of them through study.

Doug_B

Doug_B
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 1:51 pm 
Another awesome trip report. Interesting and creative approach! 7 hours from car to Cub Lake is impressive. The brush must have been tramped well this year since I don't see blood on your legs picture. I spent quality time in the brush on the way back last time!

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 1:56 pm 
Nice pics, thanks Ryan. So clear.

Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 4:00 pm 
The brush wasn't too bad, plentiful though not impeding. I would NOT want to go through there when wet... Goodness. It's impressive how clear the path is in the dirt yet looks like nothing when looking directly at all the brush. Thankfully I was able to enjoy two days of barely a cloud in sight

neek

neek
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 3:16 pm 
Very interesting report. We almost headed that way last weekend. Might have run into you on your way out. I kind of liked the sideways avatar, seemed somehow appropriate.

Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 8:47 pm 
neek wrote:
seemed somehow appropriate
I am slightly off-kilter...

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 8:56 pm 
Cool trip report. Nice photos. Congrats on two big peaks!

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 9:15 pm 
The next time you might throw your hands into the air out of disgust and toss one of your poles, you might consider instead putting on a sweater, looking in a mirror, and saying: I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and doggonit, I deserve it! Great TR!

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 9:15 pm 
The next time you might throw your hands into the air out of disgust and toss one of your poles, you might consider instead putting on a sweater, looking in a mirror, and saying: I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and doggonit, I deserve it! wink.gif Great TR!