Forum Index > Trail Talk > US HWY 2 Sunday evenings
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 10:13 pm 
Thanks for relaying the story! I'm glad it was something dramatic rather than just, holiday traffic.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 6:12 am 
Not the first time this type of accident has happened at this turn!! It certainly wont be the last accident there. Just a sign of the times for traveling on Highway 2. Of coarse this is typical for a weekend or holiday.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 9:04 am 
In general is there bad traffic on 2 in winter every Sunday/holiday Monday? I know it's been that way in summer for decades, but I admit I'd hoped that with the different traffic patterns the pandemic has brought, that maybe it wouldn't be so bad, since some people aren't tied to the holiday weekend. The way that ferries to the San Juans were only half full Thanksgiving weekend, and the way I can cruise right through downtown Seattle on I-5 even during rush hour now.

icedog

icedog
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 3:06 pm 
Yep it’s always bad. Hubs works at the mtn and I can always expect him late on Sat/Sun/holidays. Last night it was after 8pm arrival home w/departure time of 4:15pm eek.gif

ICEDOG
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jan 20, 2021 7:06 am 
kiliki wrote:
In general is there bad traffic on 2 in winter every Sunday/holiday Monday?
Yes and Saturdays too

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 3:42 pm 
@icedog or anyone else that skis Stevens Pass: What lifts do they run on weekdays? I haven't skied there in years, but one of these weeks might want to try some weekday skiing. But I think I've heard complaints that they don't run enough lifts on weekdays. Anyone know?

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 5:13 pm 
kiliki wrote:
@icedog or anyone else that skis Stevens Pass: What lifts do they run on weekdays? I haven't skied there in years, but one of these weeks might want to try some weekday skiing. But I think I've heard complaints that they don't run enough lifts on weekdays. Anyone know?
They run them all. Lately it's been as crowded on weekdays as any weekend or holiday I've ever seen. You have to get there early to find a place to park. You also need reservations. Last Wednesday I left 2 hours earlier than I usually do because the lift lines were getting to be an hour long.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 5:55 pm 
Schroder wrote:
kiliki wrote:
They run them all. Lately it's been as crowded on weekdays as any weekend or holiday I've ever seen. You have to get there early to find a place to park. You also need reservations. Last Wednesday I left 2 hours earlier than I usually do because the lift lines were getting to be an hour long.
Thanks for the lift info. It's been that crowded on non-powder days, too? Geez. Crystal's been okay on those. I had a great day there last Wednesday, which did have new snow--lift lines were 5-20 minutes, which isn't nothing, but not as bad as what you are describing at Stevens that same day. I pulled in at 9:15 and still got a spot in lot B not too far from the shuttle stop. Lots did look pretty full when I left though. I don't have Epic so I would need a pre-ordered ticket.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 8:21 pm 
It's going to be interesting on 2 this year when they put the roundabout at the Skykomish exit.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 11:47 pm 
timberghost wrote:
It's going to be interesting on 2 this year when they put the roundabout at the Skykomish exit.
Why does that seem to be a very bad idea to me? I mean roundabouts have their place, but some, just no.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 7:03 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
timberghost wrote:
Why does that seem to be a very bad idea to me? I mean roundabouts have their place, but some, just no.
Unless say you work in Monroe and live in Index and want to be able to go home on Saturday/Sunday afternoon/evening. Making a left turn across that non-stop stream is highly risky and I suspect has resulted in multiple collisions and countless near misses.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 7:30 am 
6 accidents in 15 years

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 10:34 am 
timberghost wrote:
I can't find anything about this project on the WSDOT site. It's planned but I find no timetable for it.
Randito wrote:
Unless say you work in Monroe and live in Index and want to be able to go home on Saturday/Sunday afternoon/evening. Making a left turn across that non-stop stream is highly risky and I suspect has resulted in multiple collisions and countless near misses.
If you work in Monroe and live in Index you wouldn't go through a roundabout in Skykomish

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 11:14 am 
Schroder wrote:
If you work in Monroe and live in Index you wouldn't go through a roundabout in Skykomish
OK, a roundabout at Index would be needed for that. A roundabout at Skykomish would facilitate people being able to leave Skykomish westbound on weekends afternoons/evenings without as much risk of a deadly collision.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 12:06 pm 
On Highway 2 most of the crashes are between the trestle and Monroe US 2 CORRIDOR SAFETY ENHANCEMENTS EVERETT TO SKYKOMISH Funds have been approved for engineering a roundabout in Skykomish but there's nothing in the capital budget for construction. Sultan has by far the worst traffic situation and the weekends are like it was in North Bend with the traffic light before they built that section of I-90. I would think that would be the priority to solve. When they starting building them here, I was completely opposed to roundabouts. The first ones seemed too small for the highways they served compared to the ones I used while working for several years in Scotland and some of those in the cities became a traffic mess after a while and they ended up adding traffic lights at the entry points. WSDOT seems to have perfected the ones here on the rural highways. They installed several on Highway 20 on Whidbey Island that are working quite well and the traffic through them north from Oak Harbor is very similar to Highway 2. The light at Sharpe's corner near Anacortes had a 2 mile backup in the afternoons and now after it was replaced with a very large roundabout I never see any congestion.