Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 6:12 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I called McDonald's the next day and complimented them to the manager.
👍👍 That's seldom done. Good job!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 6:18 pm 
After 8 pm has always worked for me. Yesterday took 2 hours to get from Baring to,I-5 Everett. Left Baring at 6:12pm against my better judgment.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 6:30 pm 
pula58 wrote:
I don't see any kind of possible solution, it is what it is.
The solution is to move to Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 7:43 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I also think Covid has made folks become worse drivers. I have no idea why, but it sure seems that way.
I have thought this too. Since February I have been on the road much less, but when I go it's a continual effort to avoid getting run over by trucks and cars going ten or more miles over the limit. But I don't think it's just the pandemic alone. There are a lot of other things going on in the society as well causing this unruliness and selfish behavior. I hope we snap out of it soon. ~z

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 10:30 pm 
Rabe used to pass out at that McDonald's there by the chevron!!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 10:40 pm 
It was because there was less traffic during lockdown so they put the petal to the metal, habit stayed when traffic increased.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 11:36 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
rubywrangler wrote:
in the future I will just car camp on Sunday night and drive home first thing Monday morning.
Me too, although I do this on weeknights and it it often because I am too tired from the trip's exersion to safely stay awake, more so than from traffic ( wait, I am part of the traffic).
Back the late '70s my high school biology teacher ran a ski school on weekends at Steven's. He would drive to school on Fridays in his "Minnie Winnie" and head for Stevens after work, he would drive to work Monday morning from Stevens. Of course that was in the era that HWY-522 WB and I-405 SB weren't a sh## show weekday mornings. Point is that people have been telling HWY-2 Sunday West bound horror stories for decades.

pipedream

pipedream
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 12:29 am 
seattlenativemike wrote:
There's this sign in Mill Creek about New Homes in Sultan!!! that always makes me giggle thinking about that commute...
A whole lot of folks are not commuting at all right now. They want to get out of the cities where there's currently nothing to do and closer to nature where there's still "nothing" to do. I could probably sell my place in Hyak for 150% of what I paid for it, if not more, and I've only been here for 3 years.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 5:50 am 
I am on 2 almost daily. Between all the slow downs going thru Eagle Falls and the traffic stops before Sultan its miserable. This past weekend I went thru Skykomish at 11 and traffic stopped at EF then again between Startup and Sultan. I thought 11 was an early start but if you are wanting to know when it slows Sunday evening I would look at 9 pmish

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 7:06 am 
pipedream wrote:
They want to get out of the cities where there's currently nothing to do and closer to nature where there's still "nothing" to do.
Great. If people think traffic on 2 is bad now, think of how bad it will be when the 4 million people who currently live in the Puget Sound move out to Skykomish and Index. Might as well cancel the light rail project, and all mass transit, now, because those only work when people live together in dense cities. Everything one needs in life can be had with a weekly run to Costco. And if you think moving to Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming is the answer, those states don't believe in the concept of an urban growth boundary.

Jake

Jake
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 7:15 am 
With the boarder still closed, people are changing their plans and heading east now I think. Once the boarder re-opens, backups should be again reduced back to Ikes, or there about.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 8:12 am 
Jake wrote:
With the boarder still closed, people are changing their plans and heading east now I think. Once the boarder re-opens, backups should be again reduced back to Ikes, or there about.
But the Canadian border isn't opening anytime soon. They recently extended the closure until at least Sept 21 https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-us-border-closure-september-21-1.5686475

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:07 pm 
pula58 wrote:
Over 28 years or so, I have been trapped between Skykomish and the West side of Monroe, Sunday afternoons, Sunday evenings, more times than I care to remember. I don't see any kind of possible solution, it is what it is.
One solution would be to get rid of the traffic lights in Sultan and install roundabouts. It won't make things i-90 speedy but it will alleviate the parking lot effect. But I don't see WSDOT doing that, or anything. The price we now pay for an ever growing population.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 pm 
Jake wrote:
I haven't experienced a backup to JUST Ike's in years. It's usually around Index, for me.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:30 pm 
Gwen wrote:
pula58 wrote:
Over 28 years or so, I have been trapped between Skykomish and the West side of Monroe, Sunday afternoons, Sunday evenings, more times than I care to remember. I don't see any kind of possible solution, it is what it is.
One solution would be to get rid of the traffic lights in Sultan and install roundabouts. It won't make things i-90 speedy but it will alleviate the parking lot effect. But I don't see WSDOT doing that, or anything. The price we now pay for an ever growing population.
True, they would help. They seem to put those in some places where they aren't needed and not in others areas where they are.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.