Forum Index > Trail Talk > US HWY 2 Sunday evenings
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 7:40 pm 
last night comin' down 2, there were large black garbage bags in the road at eagle. Random citizens puttin' their hands out to stop oncoming traffic!! Sun setting, getting dark!! Lives at risk!! Ricos was blowin' up. Cars drivin' the shoulders to get parking out front.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 8:03 pm 
How about this. Sunday morning @ 10 am the WSDOT decides they want to paint the orange center line. I was headed east bound and there was 5 state trucks and the paint truck. Traffic was backed from the tunnel to Timberland going @ 5 mph. So who decides to paint on a summer Sunday?

Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 pm 
Quoting one of the most respected and intellectual popular T.V. heros of our distant past....Surpise, Surprise, Surprise.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 10:54 am 
Want to talk about a zoo on Highway 2 again. Saturday was one of the worst and it wasn't from the skiers. I think people are just bored and nothing go on as far as movies, concerts, dining, etc and just want to go for a drive. backed up both days last weekend by Goldbar. Heard Leavenworth was packed, no social distancing there.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 11:38 am 
I don’t know what I was thinking (or not thinking) but we went up Beckler Road Saturday and hit Highway 2 about 5:30, with great plans to grab some takeout, including Pecan Pie, at the Mountain View in Goldbar. Things looked good for about 5 minutes until we came to a screeching stop just past Skykomish. It took us two (2) hours to get from there to Kellogg Lake Road, which is the back way to my house. rant.gif Had leftover tacos for dinner. First world problems, though. clown.gif

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 12:46 pm 
Well I saw a lot of people taking the Kellogg no bypass route and I doubt like you they lived up there because when I got to the Sultan basin road it was backed way up it. 2 weeks ago I went up the Beckler early to do some hiking with the dogs. I came out about noon and where the pavement ends (camp 9 for those that remember the Evergreen fire days) there was a ton of 4 wheelers and trailered jeeps. One guy stopped me and asked me where theses roads(Johnson, Rapid, Jacks Pass)go to as he saw someone mention on the internet about 4 wheeling up there. Its only going to get better blah.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 1:10 pm 
Yea, I pretty much just stay home, hang out with my cats and feel sorry for myself. But, soon I should be off to Priest Lake where there will be some semblance of normalcy.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 1:37 pm 
timberghost wrote:
Heard Leavenworth was packed, no social distancing there.
Yes, I have noticed that L'worth has been getting busier each week since mid-summer and my guess people are bored with school and work from home, not traveling out of the region on vacations in 2020, and looking for somewhere that's a getaway that's close to home. The town is made even more hassle since there is no parking on Front Street, 8th and 9th streets and some of Commercial Street as these spaces have been converted to outdoor seating for local restaurants. Social distancing is rare and anti-maskers were more common earlier in the year but it seems that during this more recent spike in Covid cases, more people are masking up. I suspect it's only going to get busier approaching Christmas and New Years'.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 3:25 pm 
There was another person on the sidewalk this morning. Then, the light was red so I had to wait to go across the highway. Pretty bad here too.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 5:38 pm 
Timberghost, I doubt that the four wheelers got as far as they were hoping if they went up Johnson Ridge. We drove quite a ways up it and then snowshoed up to the trailhead and beyond and there were no four wheelers past the usual turnaround spot. No people either, nice solitude for a sunny Saturday. Lots of Christmas tree hunters down below though. As for the Sultan Basin Road so-called shortcut, that is a no go until sometime around January 8. The entire road is closed near 132nd St. It looks like some pesky beavers may have caused a water problem that is undermining the road. Everyone who lives past that spot gets to drive all the way up to Startup on Kellogg Lake Road if they want to get down to Highway 2. doof.gif

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 8:40 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
I don’t know what I was thinking (or not thinking) but we went up Beckler Road Saturday and hit Highway 2 about 5:30, with great plans to grab some takeout, including Pecan Pie, at the Mountain View in Goldbar. Things looked good for about 5 minutes until we came to a screeching stop just past Skykomish. It took us two (2) hours to get from there to Kellogg Lake Road, which is the back way to my house. rant.gif Had leftover tacos for dinner. First world problems, though. clown.gif
Sorry to hear you got caught in that. There was an accident by Zeke's. There was a car on the shoulder and a second to assist. A drunk driver in a truck swerved and hit both cars then drove off, leaving for injured people. Two where trapped in the car with broken bones and needed the jaws of life. We have an incredible fire department! The driver of the truck made it to the green water neighbourhood(not a resident). He pulled in and was immediately greeted. H tried saying he just got a flat, but was also flowed by another resident of gw who seen it happen. They kept him there until the police arrived.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 10:35 pm 
Among those in the know, the newest school of thought surrounding The Highway 2 Situation is that the locals are hirin' people to create the traffic jams to ENSURE continued avoidance of the area by the Big Tourist Scenes

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Dec 08, 2020 10:38 pm 
This was a big up and coming theory circulating among sky valley bar goers in the mid 90's, now seems to be regaining traction as the leading school of thought on The Highway 2 Situation.

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:17 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Timberghost, I doubt that the four wheelers got as far as they were hoping if they went up Johnson Ridge. We drove quite a ways up it and then snowshoed up to the trailhead and beyond and there were no four wheelers past the usual turnaround spot. No people either, nice solitude for a sunny Saturday. Lots of Christmas tree hunters down below though. As for the Sultan Basin Road so-called shortcut, that is a no go until sometime around January 8. The entire road is closed near 132nd St. It looks like some pesky beavers may have caused a water problem that is undermining the road. Everyone who lives past that spot gets to drive all the way up to Startup on Kellogg Lake Road if they want to get down to Highway 2. doof.gif
Most of the four wheelers don't go up Johnson, Some might go up Harlan but those are usually Xmas tree seekers this time of the year. Few will go up Rapid but the majority head up towards Jacks Pass, Evergreen or North fork of Sky. Which seems to be a common place where they get stuck at. Lots of newbies with their jeeps that are on the asphalt 95% of the time learning having a 4x4 doesn't mean you can go anywhere under any conditions.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 12:03 pm 
Apparently there is a really big tourist scene going on in Dur Bavarian Willage. All they have to do is shut the lights off. Or perhaps a commando raid of some kind could do that for em. Dur Lightieslaugen

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities