Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lassen National Park 8.11-8.15, 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 3:31 pm 
After spending two days in a full service RV park, we headed further north to Lassen National Park. On the way we did a food pickup in Sacramento that my wife had previously ordered, restocking the van for the next week. After almost 20 years of camping in my Chevy Avalanche, the luxury of a fridge, standup room, shower and furnace is still sinking in. The Solis has a pop top with a 77" long bed, which is where my daughter slept every night. I would get up and pass up hot tea to her while the van was heating up from the morning cold....I find setting the thermostat to 65 keeps it from getting too chilly. We were staying in a NP campground so no services except running water; I made a few trips schlepping a 5 gallon container to keep us topped up over 4 days. The Butte Lake campground is plenty roomy, with lots of space between sites and nestled in the woods. Day 1 We got up, not too early, and headed out on our loop right out of the campground. First up and close was a climb up Cinder Cone, very interesting with nice views, and we managed to be the first up....this is THE hike out of Butte Lake, so everyone in the campground plus day hikers were right behind us. However, once we exited the cone, we spent the rest of the day, in August in a National Park, with the trails to ourselves. We headed for Rainbow Lake, then Snag Lake, and finally the east side of Butte Lake for about 17 miles, depositing us back at our campsite late afternoon. To be fair, we did run into two horseback riders and 3 backpackers when we were toward the end of our hike....so crowded! The day was warmish but we were unburdened with small day packs, so very manageable. Back at the campsite we were making pasta in the van and partaking of a big bottle of wine.
Cinder Cone trail
Cinder Cone trail
Dunes and Piles
Dunes and Piles
Top of Cinder Cone
Top of Cinder Cone
Lonely Forest
Lonely Forest
Trail Colors
Trail Colors
Day 2 We decided to day hike again out of the campground and save the 1.5 hour drive to do Lassen Peak for day 3. East Prospect Peak was on the agenda, pretty lonely but we did cross paths with a group of 4 close to the top. Strava had us hiking 8 miles and climbing 2300' over 3.5 hours on this one, just right for a leg toner but back early enough to beat the heat.
Snag Lake
Snag Lake
Shasta to the north
Shasta to the north
Day 3 The alarm was set for 5:30, as we had a long drive and some construction delays to contend with to do Lassen Peak, plus we wanted to start fairly early. When we finally arrived at the parking lot (8500') there were a fair number of cars and hikers, but the lot wasn't even half full. We found this popular hike rather enjoyable, as the trail is graded well with plenty of switchbacks to make the going fairly easy....it climbs 2000' in 2.5 miles to 10,500'. There is some easy scrambling to get over the snowfield to the summit proper, and we were early enough to have a little time on the summit to ourselves. To this point the majority of hikers were wearing masks, but as we descended the later crowd was a majority of UMJs (Unmasked Mouth Juicers). Is it so hard? Our descent was fast and we were glad to get this done earlier rather than later, but indeed it was a very enjoyable climb with fantastic views, well worth the trip over. From here we proceeded further into the park to enjoy amazing views of the old Caldera, stretching from Lassen Peak to Broken Top Mountain. We proceeded towards the southwest entrance and stopped for a foot soak at Emerald Lake and witnessed the bubbling gray fountain of Sulphur Works. A few times we pulled over to enjoy the very interesting and varied views on this side of the park. We wanted to hike the Bumpass Hell trail (who wouldn't?) but the parking lot here was overflowing with...you guessed it.....OMJs. Maybe next time. This time it was back to Butte Lake and the bumpy 6.4 mile final stretch to the campsite, where we once again relaxed. I cleaned up while Cassie swam in the lake, I cooked dinner, finished off the wine, and generally relaxed and talked about the sights we had seen that day, and how surprisingly beautiful Lassen NP was. As I write this I am back at Cassie's apartment, after driving 2 days taking the scenic Route 1 through Big Sur (gas, $6.59/gal!). Soon I will depart and head north again, during the worst heat wave in CA in 10 years, to hopefully the cooler climes of Seattle area. Happy Hiking!
Lassen Peak trail
Lassen Peak trail
Lassen permanent snowfield
Lassen permanent snowfield
Daughter on the top
Daughter on the top
Lassen summit
Lassen summit
Start of the Lassen climb
Start of the Lassen climb
The old caldera
The old caldera
Lassen Peak
Lassen Peak

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 4:14 pm 
williswall wrote:
We wanted to hike the Bumpass Hell trail (who wouldn't?)
I haven't been to Lassen NP, but I've long that's one of the best place names anywhere!

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 5:28 pm 
Bumpass Hell is like a mini Yellowstone. If you've seen the latter then you didn't miss anything in the former. If I recall, it's so named because the guy who initially discovered it stepped through a volcanic crust into a boiling sulfur pool that ate his leg. uhoh.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 am 
Nice report and photos