Forum Index > Trail Talk > Two hikers missing in the Enchantments
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 3:48 pm 
Wow they were out for 3 days ? They must have found the one spot up there with no other hikers passing by. I know most people don't go over to Earle, or even to Prusik Pass, but it's amazing they didn't see anybody to ask for help from in 3 days.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 3:51 pm 
They are from Snohomish so I guess it is only appropriate that they were picked up by Snohomish County’s SNOHAWK-10 helicopter.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
reststep

reststep
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 4:06 pm 
josh_pnw wrote:
Does no one carry a map anymore?
When ever I go to the Enchantments I always carry a map. One of these and sometimes both.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 4:49 pm 
Quote:
When ever I go to the Enchantments I always carry a map.
I love that colored pencil map with the real, cool names (bestowed by the Starks). The generic names, like perfection and inspiration are so lame.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 5:05 pm 
O everyone says that about Perfection and Inspiration. huh.gif Those are perfectly fine names, and aren't generic at all. up.gif How many Perfection and Inspiration Lake names are out there.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 5:16 pm 
You wouldn't expect bad names to be widely used. Same reason you don't see many kids named Ozymandias Aloysius. Except my kid. He loves it! Or will someday. I hope.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 18, 2020 7:29 pm 
I have 3 cats named Ozymandias. I've been trying to teach them to recite Shelly, but cats don't really aim to please.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 7:49 am 
Just say you got lost. That's one way to avoid the permit system Or this... https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027354&highlight=i+overslept

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 8:01 am 
josh_pnw wrote:
Does no one carry a map anymore? It seems like more and more SAR calls could have easily been prevented by just having a map to look at.
cell phones are the new maps. lol.gif

Vesper Peak
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 10:17 am 
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
josh_pnw wrote:
Does no one carry a map anymore? It seems like more and more SAR calls could have easily been prevented by just having a map to look at.
cell phones are the new maps. lol.gif
I don't think carrying a map would solve the problem. Most cell phones have the capability to be effective navigational devices*, but if people can't use their cell phones in that capacity (where it can show both your location and a map of the surrounding terrain), I have little confidence that they'd be able to understand what they're looking at on a paper map (where you have to figure out where you are before you can navigate with it). * Yes, there can be issues with batteries dying and devices breaking that should be considered in deciding whether a phone should be your only map.

josh_pnw

josh_pnw
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:24 pm 
Windstorm wrote:
I have little confidence that they'd be able to understand what they're looking at on a paper map (where you have to figure out where you are before you can navigate with it).
Looking at a paper map as you go can help you from becoming lost in the first place though. In this case, it’s pretty clear if you look at a map you need to round the corner of Perfection Lake before eventually following a creek (Snow Creek) away from the lake and to the next one.

Ad Alta!!
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 12:33 pm 
I don't want to speak ill of anybody. I thought it was basically impossible to get lost up there. The trail is good and generally easy to follow, places where it's on a granite slab have rocks marking the way (not cairns, more obvious). There are almost no trees, and it's a basin. It's good to learn from other peoples' mistakes, and this is a reminder about navigation. With that said, this isn't something most hikers are likely to run into on that trail.

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 4:35 pm 
I think the route there is pretty clear, but I can imagine there are a lot of ways to make that mistake. Decide to stop at the junction for a rest and snack, and maybe there's a nice spot just up this side trail. Twenty minutes later as you're getting ready to go, another party is passing by northbound, and without thinking too much about it you just fall in step behind them. They head towards Prusik Peak, you see the lakes down below, and continue on. I don't know that that's what happened, but I can see it happening. And it's not that I excuse people for not getting themselves educated, and to actually use the map and compass and GPS. The big problem is that people don't know what they don't know, so they don't realize (until it's too late) that there is a price to pay for not getting some wilderness education. I just don't know a way to solve that problem, except for publicizing these stories as cautionary tales.

hbb

hbb
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 5:43 pm 
The trail up to Prusik Pass gains 400 feet in a 1/4 mile. I don't see how you can make that climb and still think you are on the way down to Snow Lakes. There used to be a sign at that trail junction (see below). Is that gone now?

nordique

nordique
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 7:07 am 
Maybe your cat doesn't know you are teaching Percy Bysshe Shelley's poetry. Cats pounce on misspellings!