Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Cradle, Nursery Peak (Point 6962') - 8/13/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 6:57 pm 
Mike Collins and I connected on a relaxed trip in the Paddy-Go-Easy Pass area on Monday fresh from our descent off Snowfield Peak the day before. I've got an affinity to this immediate area as it was one of the first hikes I had ever done on my own once at driving age. It was quite the adventure driving over from Seattle and then hiking all the way to the pass at 16! We started stirring up dust at 0810 and Mike pushed me up the trail at a steady rate gaining 2300' in the first hour. We made the pass and immediately set our sites on The Cradle.
(L to R) The Cradle and Nursery Peak
(L to R) The Cradle and Nursery Peak
Unfortunately this meant losing 1250' down to the Meadow Creek Trail, but we had the time. Once down in the valley, at 4900', we turned right and followed the trail to about 5120' where we came to a large meadow and open slope on our left.
West Slope of The Cradle
West Slope of The Cradle
We booted more or less straight up this slope through a mix of grass, scree, and slide alder. We eventually popped out onto the south ridge of The Cradle at about 6900'. A look over on the other side yielded a giant scree slope that we wanted nothing to do with. So, we took to the ridge which was a much more aesthetic line over mostly class 3 terrain. Maybe 150' below the summit we worked over to the east ridge and finished the ascent in just under 4 hours via a class 4-ish line, but I believe there is easier terrain to climbers right. It was quite warm on the summit, but the skies seemed especially clear.
Mike on The Cradle
Mike on The Cradle
Views1
Views1
Views2
Views2
From the summit we descended directly down the south ridge which involved a couple class 4 steps near the summit, but was otherwise straight forward. Not wanting to "orphan" a Backcourt Peak, we set our sites on Nursery Peak on the far end of the ridge. Unfortunately, to save time, we knew we would have to take to scree slopes. At a convenient notch, we dropped over to the east side of the ridge and made a descending traverse below cliffs where needed.
Mike and Choss
Mike and Choss
Eventually, we started to gain elevation again and went through the small pass just west of the summit. Relatively easy slopes got us up the final 400' although there was one false summit that taunted us along the way. More good views, including those over to The Cradle. We didn't know it at the time, but we shared summit entries with Phil Dickert who was part of the Challenger and Goode first ascent parties.
The Cradle From Nursery
The Cradle From Nursery
The Cradle and Route to Nursery
The Cradle and Route to Nursery
Mike on Nursery
Mike on Nursery
We made a descending traverse off Nursery down into the valley and the Meadow Creek Trail. After about 20 minutes of pleasant meadow hiking we were back at the spot where we had left the trail earlier in the morning.
Hiking Back
Hiking Back
The long grunt back up to Paddy-Go-easy Pass was hot and we drank the last of our water once on top. The final descent to the car was trouble-free aside from some sore feet. The Cradle, Nursery Peak: 13.5 miles, 7500', 9 Hours

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 7:19 pm 
Nice back-to-backer! Mike says his quads hurt, and I haven't heard anything like that out of Mike before, so it must have been a doozy.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 7:29 pm 
Both Mike and I would agree that Stefan's farts slow us down.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 7:43 pm 
I'm pretty sure I take that crown. They don't call me Windy B for nothin moon.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 7:56 pm 
Nothing like a bit of flatulence to make the day up.gif moon.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 8:33 pm 
bawl.gif that is all I can do lately. Between work and my possible arthritic hip I am out of shape and missing out on all the good stuff! Time to quite the job, get a hip replacement and live in my car! Then I can climb again winksmile.gif Good work again you two..oh yeah it is not work for you two it is just a walk in the park. rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 9:02 pm 
Tazz - Looking forward to having you out in the mountains soon!

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Aug 14, 2007 11:43 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Nice back-to-backer! Mike says his quads hurt, and I haven't heard anything like that out of Mike before, so it must have been a doozy.
Nice trip! My quads hurt too, but i'm thinking it was that steep snowfield 'de-proach'. Anything in addition probably just fanned the flame, IMHO stun.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 5:22 pm 
First it's farts, now we're fanning flames? Sounds like a dangerous combo!

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Aug 15, 2007 7:10 pm 
That is one nasty looking pile of rubble. My one and only visit to Paddy Go Easy Pass revealed that mass of rock and I thought it almost out of place in the heart of AlpinoLand. this TR reveals the mount has more to offer and superb views to boot. I am exhausted just thinking about the up and up, slip and slide, a Sisyphus kind of torture of ascending. Give thos fallen arches and sore heels a rest! Or...do some more and bring back more great photos! p.s., post more photos of this exploit! Show us the view of Stuart, Rainier, maybe toward Thunder Mountain.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 9:34 am 
Excellent girls. Farts rock.

Art is an adventure.
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 10:19 am 
Randy wrote:
We didn't know it at the time, but we shared summit entries with Phil Dickert who was part of the Challenger and Goode first ascent parties.
Climbed pt6962 last week. No summit register there anymore. Here are some pictures from when I was up there in September 4yrs ago. Wish I would have known who Phil Dickert was then. Lots of nwhers.
pt6962 register2
pt6962 register2
pt6962 register1
pt6962 register1
Some stuff I can't read. 6/12/04 Fay Pullen From Paddy-Go-Easy (and?) also did Sherpani. 9/30/(06?) Don Goodman (Natala?) Goodman Nice range and casual style by Fay. Don and Natala show up a bit on the internet in nwmj/tay/cc postings. Lots of fun content. Here is a mounty's article about Don and Fay working to distribute summit registers. link

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 10:52 am 
6/1/???? Martin Shetter and Dave Creedan

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 am 
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 11:08 am 
Also didn't find a register on Nursery a few weeks ago but we found the original FA register on N Cradle placed by Gene and Bill Prater in 1954. Cool stuff.

ozzy