Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gabriel Peak Climbing 1975 - 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dansjolseth

Dansjolseth
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 11:19 am 
In 1969 my hiking/climbing partner Cliff Lawson and I were fortunate to have a key that opened the gate to the North Cascades Highway pilot road. The gate was located at the Diablo Lake bridge adjacent to the Thunder Creek Campground.
From there a rough dirt and gravel pilot road extended to Rainy Pass and provided us access to 2 summers of great hiking and climbing. We were able to explore most of the drainages and ridges during those 2 summers without seeing another hiker. Although we visited the headwaters of Cabinet Creek we did not climb Gabriel or Elijah during that time, but did so beginning in 1975. Attached are some early photos of Gabriel Trips I took with my partner Cliff Lawson. We first climbed Gabriel in 1975 which we assessed was the first ascent. Subsequently John Roper indicated that Austin Post made the first ascent in 1947. We reclimbed Gabriel and in 1976 and then Gabriel and Elijah in the early 1980's.
I decided to make another run at Gabriel this year and set aside July 31-August 1 to do a solo summit trip. The old trail up Cabinet Creek that was followable in 1975 was almost gone except for the first mile. I was appalled at the amount of flagging that someone had used to mark a trail that was quite evident. Seldom was there not 2 pieces of flagging in view. I took care of that. It's not that I am against all flagging which might be warranted to mark a critical point but what I saw was overkill by 10. I found our old campsite in Cabinet Creek basin and enjoyed fond memories along with my semi-squashed Jumbo Jack. The climb was different than I remember but the years and many other destinations blurred some old memories. A 2 hour nap on the summit and great views made for another spectacular trip to one of my favorite areas. God willing I might make a re-visit.

Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 2:33 pm 
What a cool post and thank you. I very much appreciate hearing the stories of people like you who have traveled the cascades for so many decades, even back when the North Cascades Highway was a dirt road! I hope you get to climb in again....

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 4:20 pm 
Oh hells yea Dan!! Thanks for the post, I was just looking at Gabriel from Mesahchie the other day! Looks pretty badass, definitely on my list now! rocker.gif Cheers, keep rockin!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
reststep

reststep
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 4:38 pm 
Looks beautiful. Thanks for the pictures and report. Just curious, how did you happen to have a key to the gate?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Dansjolseth

Dansjolseth
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 5:16 pm 
I am a member of the Trailblazers which plants fish in mountain lakes which we were planting in that area.

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 6:09 pm 
Thanks for posting the history. I still have fond memories of my trip with you and Tom up Elijah. Gabriel was really striking from there, and I can see why you would repeat it many times. I still haven't made it up Gabriel, but it is certainly on the short list when I plan Hwy 20 trips.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 8:02 pm 
I love the history and nice job getting up there for the 4th time!

Eric Eames
Dansjolseth

Dansjolseth
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 8:32 pm 
Now at 76 I hope for at least once more.

Now I Fly