Forum Index > Trail Talk > Staircase access to close starting 8/22/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Double_E

Double_E
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 5:42 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Or better yet, please put me on your ignore list.
Is there some reason you don't want to put them on your ignore list? Is it possible that part of you is just enjoying this whole escapade a little too much to do that? As you can see I haven't posted a whole heck of a lot of times on this site. But I've done a good bit of reading/lurking. And I've seen a LOT MORE productive/constructive stuff come out of Ski than I have out of you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 5:53 pm 
Lots of good points made all around. If someone doesn't agree 100% it's not the end of the world. Big question for me is whether this thread will go on until the temporary closure is lifted. It'll be interesting to see how much usage declines after "school" starts next week.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 6:28 pm 
^ I'll second Neek's opinion. Lot's of good, though-provoking comments from Ski, TW, as well as you, AS. It's OK to disagree, as there's seldom one right answer. Just keep discourse civil.

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 6:37 pm 
Double_E wrote:
Is there some reason you don't want to put them on your ignore list?
Since you asked the question, I follow the advice of my favorite Canadian punk rock band, Propaghandi: "I’d rather be imprisoned in a George-Orwellian world, than this pacified society of happy boyz and gurlz. I’d rather know my enemies and let you know the same. Whose windows to smash and whose tires to slash and where to point the @%$#$ blame."

mb

mb
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 6:41 pm 
Altasnob, you have locals saying the problems are real. Now the question is how to manage it? This is one of the scenarios where there is no good answer, only bad or worse. Permits? Determined by money or time? Enforcement of some form? Public education? These problems are happening many places right now. There are many USFS temporary closures throughout the USA in areas which have had severe overuse/bad behavior issues. What is your concrete proposal? Be specific.

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 7:10 pm 
If you read all my previous posts, I already have given my solution very specifically. This is primarily a parking problem. It is not a garbage or crime problem. There is garbage and crime at Cushman and Staircase, but that is not why the various agencies say they have closed this area. Install no parking signs along the lake where the road is narrow, and then enforce those parking rules via towing. Agencies who are legally allowed to enforce these parking rules include the national park, national forest, Mason County Sheriff, Washington State Patrol, Skokomish Tribal Police, and Tacoma Power. All of these agencies will claim they have no funding for this but if they all put their heads together, I am confident they can come up with the funding to do this (rather than just punt the issue from one governmental agency to the next). And then, if 3,000 cars decide to go up there all at once, and cars are parked all the way down to Hoodsport, so long as those cars are legally parked along the road and emergency vehicles can get by, so be it. Washington is a very crowded state and we cannot close access to lands because it's hot and people want to go jump in some fresh water.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 7:31 pm 
Being imprisoned is not comparable to being restricted in use of this site. Being banned here or whatever the right term is is more like not being invited to one person’s house party. It’s not imprisonment.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 7:34 pm 
It's a metaphor.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 9:22 pm 
altasnob wrote:
"...Ski made personal attacks..."
Quite to the contrary, counselor, I was simply stating facts. Still waiting for that citation for the statement about treeswarper being "someone who post on a hiking forum who is anti-wilderness". And if Tom believes I'm violating some "terms of use", then by all means he should ban me from the site. The problem here, as I see it, is that you don't seem to grasp the concept about the definition of "dialogue": n. 1. A conversation between two or more people. If you dig a little deeper you'll find it comes from di - [from the Greek di- two, twice.] ( In between there is the Latin "dialogus" - dia- one with another ) You'll find you'll make way better headway here when you talk with people, and not just at them.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RodF

RodF
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 10:07 pm 
altasnob wrote:
...almost entire road along the closed lake shore is owned by Tacoma Power, not Olympic National Forest. Tacoma Power should have no problem finding money to install no parking signs and enforcing those parking rules.
Tacoma Power already does so, under the 2009 Settlement Agreement for the Cushman Project:
Quote:
3.1 Tacoma shall pay the USFS for a portion of USFS’s expense that will be incurred in (1) the operation and maintenance of developed and dispersed recreation sites on USFS NFS lands and Tacoma lands as described below and (2) providing for law enforcement and enhanced law enforcement coverage along USFS Road No. 24, Causeway Bridge, and Big Creek Campground on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Tacoma will make an initial payment of $85,000 the first January after license issuance. Thereafter, payment for such USFS expenses will occur on an annual basis within thirty days after Tacoma’s receipt of the annual report described in Section 6 at a sum of $85,000 (2008 dollars), adjusted annually by the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index, All Urban consumers, for Seattle-Tacoma-Bremerton (CPI-U).
Quote:
4.2 Dispersed Use Sites 4.2.1 The USFS shall be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the following dispersed use areas: (1) Cushman Lake shoreline day use dispersed sites along USFS Road No. 24 from Road Mile (RM) 10.1 to 14.08, (2) the two existing dispersed campsites along SR 119, (3) dispersed recreation use at causeway bridge USFS Road No. 2451, and (4) four existing dispersed campsites along USFS Road No. 2451. As a component of its operation and maintenance responsibilities, the USFS shall take appropriate actions to prevent creation of new dispersed sites.
Quote:
5. USFS OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE LAW ENFORCEMENT COVERAGE The USFS shall continue to provide for law enforcement coverage along USFS Road No. 24, Causeway Bridge, and Big Creek Campground. Additionally, USFS shall provide supplemental law enforcement coverage on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
The agreement also includes enforcement provisions binding on both parties. Tacoma Power has done its part. I'm glad USFS is finally living up to its part.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 7:39 am 
The order closing this area says closed "until September 30, unless rescinded earlier." I have read (a not credible source) that says once the lake starts dropping in mid-September, that the forest service will open it back up. Logic being most visitors come to swim in the lake and once the lake drops, the bank is muddy and you can't jump off the rocks so swimming is less appealing. Makes sense to me. The lake is currently at 736.18 feet of elevation (maximum of 738 ft). I will check again in mid-September.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 7:45 am 
thanks Rod! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
sparker1965

sparker1965
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 9:50 am 
It was basic math...6 mile backup...parking on both sides of the road....and yes...there were people counting...we, out here in the sticks, have all kinds of mad skills! (Bermuda doesn't have a corner on the triangle market, you know...) I live here...I clean cabins for a living...I clean up along the road. every.damn.monday. Where are you? BTW....there are two deputies and a trooper stationed at the closure. Plenty of people still being turned away...because clearly, reading, (and common sense) are not skills that most humans can count in their arsenal.

sparker1965

sparker1965
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 9:52 am 
The lake starts dropping the Tuesday after Labor day. I live here...I know...Until around the second week in October...our cabins are booked.

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 12:02 pm 
sparker1965 wrote:
there are two deputies and a trooper stationed at the closure
Why does it take two deputies and a trooper to stand at a closed gate and tell people to turn around? I thought they were stretched so thin that they were incapable of issuing parking tickets and getting tow trucks to tow cars?