Forum Index > The Trading Post > Fraud attempt - buyer beware!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ChrisSJI

ChrisSJI
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 5:10 pm 
I've had a strange interaction over the last couple of days with someone regarding my recent WTB post. User John34 sent me a PM telling me that Jessica had the tent I was looking for and to email her (jessicaconner@gmail.com). I'm already suspicious but I'll play the game. So I email her and could tell pretty quickly that this was a classic fraud. I played naïve for a while to give her the benefit of the doubt and because I was having a little fun. I'm copying the email thread here for fellow NWHikers enjoyment and as a warning to others. There's some redactions of my information and my comments. Read in reverse order because I'm just copying in my last email.
EMAIL STRING wrote:
chrisinakmtns Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 3:32 PM To: jesssica connor <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> I can't verify that. Regrettably, I need to pass on this. Best of luck finding a buyer. On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 3:17 PM jesssica connor <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> wrote: I've sent you my pics already . Of course they're mine On Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 8:54 pm chrisinakmtns, wrote: Can you please send a photo of the tent with a handwritten note in the picture with your email address and today's date? This is standard practice in most forums to verify that you actually own the tent. Attached is an example. Thank you. Verification example.jpg On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:39 AM jesssica connor <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> wrote: I only have zelle and cashapp On Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 7:09 pm chrisinakmtns wrote: Thanks for your response and the photos. In order to verify the validity, can you send me a photo of the tent with a note in the photo with your email address and today's date? I'm sorry for the inconvenience just trying to be judicious. Also do you use anything other than the Cash app? Paypal, Venmo, Apple Pay? I'd prefer not to connect my banking information to yet another app. I do enough accounting all day every day. smile.gif Chris On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:54 AM jesssica connor <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> wrote: Oh, sorry about that. I just read the mail. This is mine On Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 5:02 pm jesssica connor, <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> wrote: Elaborate what? On Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 2:51 pm chrisinakmtns wrote: Can you elaborate? On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 1:17 AM jesssica connor <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> wrote: Yea On Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 5:43 am chrisinakmtns wrote: Thanks Jessica, That second pic looks like you're using a trekking pole for the rear. The optional pole I was asking about can be used instead. I don't often use trekking poles. So just to verify, do you still have the optional pole for that back part? Also, these pictures were posted by someone who sold this tent on Backpacking Light about two weeks ago. What's the story? On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 5:22 PM jesssica connor <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> wrote: Sure thing On Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 1:17 am chrisinakmtns wrote: OK. I'm just getting out of the office so I'll take care of that tonight. From a due diligence standpoint, can you send me a photo of the tent that identifies you as the owner? Thanks. On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 5:05 PM jesssica connor <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> wrote: I'll be shipping from Pennsylvania, you can download cashapp and set it up. Yes it's complete. On Thu, 20 Aug 2020, 12:56 am chrisinakmtns wrote: No, I have Venmo, Paypal or Apple Pay. Where will you be sending it from? One other question, does the tent have the optional rear pole? On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 4:49 PM jesssica connor <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> wrote: Ok, Do you have cashapp? On Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 11:40 pm chrisinakmtns wrote: Hi Jessica - Thank you for your response. I'm interested! I'm located on San Juan Island. Unless you live in the islands (or are planning to escape here with the rest of Puget Sound) I'll need to cover the shipping costs. Is there a price you are asking? Would you take $260? Thanks! On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 2:51 PM jesssica connor <jesssicaconnor@gmail.com> wrote: Hi , the rainshadow 3 is in great condition, it's as neat as new and as no tearings. Where are you located? On Wed, 19 Aug 2020, 10:44 pm chrisinakmtns wrote: Greetings Jessica, I was given your email by John34 (his username) in response to my post on nwhikers looking to buy a Tarpent Rainshadow 3 or Cloudburst 3. He said you have one of these for sale. If so, can you tell me about which tent you have, the condition, and asking price? Thank you very much in advance. Chris

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ChrisSJI

ChrisSJI
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 8:56 pm 
I thought it was weird at first no doubt, but I didn’t look at his post history until after I emailed his contact. I’m a CPA that has uncovered and investigated frauds. But those were mostly committed by a trusted insider nobody would suspect. I was curious how long I could string this clown out. I probably ended the exchange too cordially.

ChrisSJI

ChrisSJI
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 10:35 pm 
catsp wrote:
Curious what happened with this one: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1194846
I messaged him and told him the story. He hadn't gone through with the transaction.