Forum Index > Trip Reports > Trappers - X - Thornton Lakes Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ctripp

ctripp
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 9:24 pm 
I have gleaned a lot of info from this forum over the past couple years, but don't normally post myself. I thought this outing might be of interest to some folks here, though. I had a window for a half-ish day outing yesterday—I had to drop my wife off at work in Everett at 7:30 AM and pick her up at 5:30 PM, but that left plenty of time to head up to check out the Thornton Lakes/Trappers Peak area. I had never been to the area, but in reading a couple reports on here I was intrigued by comments from awilsondc and bootpathguy about the possibility of making a loop of it by connecting the Trappers-X ridge to the area between Lower and Middle Thornton Lakes. Looking at photos and the map, I assumed the crux would be making it through the obvious cliff band below the upper slopes—at around 5200-5500 ft. I decided to try the loop counterclockwise, to ensure that I could enjoy the views from Trappers and X even if the loop didn’t go. It helped that the expected crux was near the top—no big deal if I had to turn around there. At any rate, I was pretty confident the crux cliff band would be doable by passing through a stand of trees then traversing a slab that looked to be lower-angle than the rest of the cliff. From the bottom of this, it would just be a matter of dropping down to the outlet stream through sections of talus and trees, with hopefully minimal route-finding around a couple cliff bands.
Lower Thornton Lake and Thornton Peak from the trail up Trappers Peak
Lower Thornton Lake and Thornton Peak from the trail up Trappers Peak
Southern Pickets from the shoulder of Trappers
Southern Pickets from the shoulder of Trappers
The excellent ridge walk from Trappers to X Mountain
The excellent ridge walk from Trappers to X Mountain
Upper Thornton Lake below Thornton Peak
Upper Thornton Lake below Thornton Peak
Obligatory Photo of X Mountain's namesake dikes
Obligatory Photo of X Mountain's namesake dikes
Interesting 6-10" wide fissure splitting X Mountain near its summit. Paging Brushbuffalo.
Interesting 6-10" wide fissure splitting X Mountain near its summit. Paging Brushbuffalo.
Of course, my assessment turned out to be backwards shakehead.gif —the route through the “steeper” upper section worked perfectly—I was pleasantly surprised as I reached the bottom of the slabs, thinking the hard part was over and turned out to be no trouble at all.
On the descent from the ridge to the lakes
On the descent from the ridge to the lakes
Lower Thornton Lake from the slabs on the descent
Lower Thornton Lake from the slabs on the descent
Neat banding on the smooth slabs
Neat banding on the smooth slabs
I started the descent on talus and soon reached the one of the lower cliff bands—it was both taller and more continuous than expected; I’d hoped to find a gully or blocky section that would be workable for a descent, but I could not see any passage down. Recognizing this possibility, I had noted another route down that bypasses this cliff band on a wide "ramp" descending to the SE. This route turned out to be more tedious than expected, and included a couple unsavory flavors of terrain: vegetated/hidden talus and (sidehilling on) steep dirt with thick horizontal brush (slide alder style, though several other species were in on the fun as well). Thankfully, as I neared the outlet stream the vegetation opened up a bit and from there the rest was easy, as expected—there is a bootpath from the Middle Thornton outlet stream around the W side of Lower Thornton to the Lower Thornton outlet stream, where I rejoined the maintained trail.
Approximate route in red
Approximate route in red
Another view of the route, from across the lake
Another view of the route, from across the lake
I would not be surprised if a better route can be found for the lower portion. Scouting the cliffs from above was obviously not ideal, especially since they are forested along the upper cliff edge making it a bit difficult to get a clear look.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 10:05 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif Huh? No images!? ( pictures or it didn't happen ) Thanks for the report

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
ctripp

ctripp
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 11:07 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif Huh? No images!? ( pictures or it didn't happen ) Thanks for the report
It took me a minute to figure out how to post images, but they're in there now up.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 6:56 pm 
ctripp wrote:
Pager just buzzed and happy to oblige! These fractures are relatively common in the Cascades, are often dramatic and get one's pulse up when encountered if you have to cross the wider ones. I commented on a well-known one on the way to Snowking on Kindy Ridge (see below) and there is a famous gap on Cathedral Peak in the Pasayten that many have posted about and often photographed or video- recorded. NWHiker Bluebird wrote [ reference from her Snowking climb in Fall 2019]: "The last bit of gain to the point is really interesting with a slot canyon of significant depth." I wrote: "That gap is an interesting geologic feature. I think it is a large joint ( crack, like a fault but without differential movement on opposite sides). I was too preoccupied with the long ridge and its many ups and downs to give it a better examination, but it shows clearly on Google Earth. It is one of a pair of parallel twin cracks on that part of Kindy Ridge." #googleearth https://earth.app.goo.gl/vvjvkm These gaps are not necessarily faults, which always involve differential slip of the two sides. More commonly when there is separation as in the one you picture, it is a joint ( crack), but similar to a fault, joints are caused by stress in rock to the point where the strength is exceeded such that the rock fractures. Cracking only= joint; slipping= fault. There is a good crack on Rainbow Ridge on the east side of Mt. Baker that is a remnant of a spectacular landslide that dropped into Rainbow Gorge over 140 years ago. When I camped up on the ridge I was too chicken to sleep on the 'cliff-side' of the fracture shakehead.gif since it is a detachment block. Detachment blocks are what the name implies: blocks ( often huge by human standards) that are 'ready' to fall. I have several stories about them related to civil engineering and bridges, but this response is too long already.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Dr. T

Dr. T
PostSat Aug 29, 2020 10:28 am 
I just did this loop on wednesday. How the hell did you make it back to pick your wife up in time? I think i ran into the same trouble coming down from Peak X, where I found the talus field directly underneath the peak but then cut in to soon down the ramp and ran into another cliffed out section. I thought i could find my own route but realized i should just look at your pic and follow the same route. Once down the right way towards the lake before the last traverse to the middle lake outlet, i went down too far towards the lower lake. I got to an opening and realize i was too far down and would have to pull myself up through the jungle to get to a point where i could traverse, around 4800ft. Once i was able to get to the outlet i again went too far down closer to the lake and couldnt find the boot path around the West side of the lower lake and again had to climb back up, pulling myself over rocks and through trees eventually finding the boot path back to sanity. Hell of route find down from Peak X, especially with all the sections that are cliffed out and not being able to safely peer down and find the proper route. Your picture was very helpful. Aside from all that mess the view from Trapper and X are fantastic, great view into the Picket Range and mount triumph.