Forum Index > Trip Reports > glacier+glacier gap pk+white via hoary traverse 7-25 - 7-27-2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 6:57 pm 
glacier+glacier gap pk+white via hoary traverse 7-25 - 7-27-2020
is an existential crisis just a form of whining? have you ever felt like your are pretty hungry, but maybe you were trying to bite off more than you could chew or swallow whole? ever feel like you are being swallowed whole? i do wonder if it is possible to ever determine which role we are actually in: are we the fat toad in an existential crisis and who can’t believe what is happening or the snake hoping not to miss a meal?
click link below to see the short video - credit to asa for the vid
click link below to see the short video - credit to asa for the vid
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNBg_AO6lFsZETd7d3jGQO7HRXIidfstXXSrDsZwyRSQp368rCRn-LXdrsE5sx31w/photo/AF1QipNO-lDmhIjPWgcRvZeX-C1zsE9r5rDc3gL4iidz?key=RW90N0x2RTl2MGxEVUdXb1lCZVJIRlJTMEhJbnZR like so many of the popular trails in the year of covid, tons of people doing glacier peak. on particularly sarcastically fun moment we had was when we encountered an "expert" climber on the gerdine glacier who talked about the idiots who walked a stupid path on the glacier below disappointment peak. when we looked over at where she was talking about, there were two tracks where people were going, one really close to the peak that passed through a lot of recent rockfall and then the other "expert" track that also walked through quite a bit of recent rockfall, but less than the "idiot" track. we, of course, went where there were no tracks, that took a couple of minutes extra, and walked where there was no recent rockfall. the bigger question i had for myself was, what are the things am i the "expert" on and am unaware of my own stupidity? i sure hope they don't come back to bite me or, worse yet, swallow me whole :>) the two highlights of the trip where not glacier peak itself, which was nice, and fortunately we had the summit to ourselves, the highlights were both asa suggestions - glacier gap peak(well worth the extra few minutes sidetrip!!!) and the hoary traverse - the stunning and fun traverse from foam basin pass to white mt along white mt's ne ridge. thanks for a trip that came up all aces!!!! ps - it is always interesting looking through pics from the same trip and how another person sees some many things that i may have missed or from such a different angle: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNBg_AO6lFsZETd7d3jGQO7HRXIidfstXXSrDsZwyRSQp368rCRn-LXdrsE5sx31w?key=RW90N0x2RTl2MGxEVUdXb1lCZVJIRlJTMEhJbnZR
day 1 11.96mi 5304' gain 7:16 car to camp day 2 11.69mi 5098' gain 7:06 camp to glacier peak summit 0:16 summit stay 4:15 glacier peak summit to camp (including 0:27 sidetrip to glacier gap peak) 11:36 day 2 total day 3 12.60mi 2090' gain 7:48 camp to car (including 3:15 for hoary traverse which made our day ~2:00 longer than if we did not do it) total 36.25mi 12492' gain equipment: ice axe, crampons, 30m 6mm static rope, helmet, harness

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 7:27 pm 
b00 wrote:
the bigger question i had for myself was, what are the things am i the "expert" on and am unaware of my own stupidity?
Proofreading? No but seriously, Glacier Peak is a great journey, and I can't believe you caught that snake in the act.

b00

b00
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 7:29 pm 
neek wrote:
b00 wrote:
the bigger question i had for myself was, what are the things am i the "expert" on and am unaware of my own stupidity?
Proofreading? ...
i second you on the proofreading! mea culpa. :>)

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 8:22 pm 
Did the snake ever get that toad into its mouth more? The western toad can secrete milky toxins from those warts but I can’t determine if that is occuring here.

silence

silence
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 7:03 am 
Love it! Great trip. Glad you got the summit to yourselves.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan