Forum Index > Trip Reports > Slate Pass>Buckskin Ridge>Frosty Pass>PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 3:37 pm 
Hiking Partner and I have found that the best way to deal with Covid issues is to spend a lot of time in the mountains getting fresh air and exercise. After a couple of five day trips in July, we were ready to try something longer. He had done sections of this loop, but never had the time to put the whole thing together. I had been wanting to see Buckskin Ridge and Frosty Pass, plus the historic buildings at the Pasayten Airstrip, so I was ready! Also, I had only been as far north as Holman Pass on the PCT, so I was looking forward to finishing that section, minus the last five miles to the border. When we saw the stellar weather forecast for mid-August, we jumped into action and put together a quick plan. We figured out we could do the 50-ish mile loop in seven days if we brought hand saws to cut our way through the 300 new blowdowns on the Boundary Trail from the Airstrip up to Frosty Pass. Adding the weight of saws made packing light more challenging, but ultimately we both were able to keep our pack weights below 26 lbs. Day One: Wednesday, August 12 we arrived at Slate Pass about 11:30am on a sunny, breezy morning, perfect for hiking. A small number of backpackers were coming back from weekend excursions, but we had the Buckskin Ridge trail to ourselves when we left at noon.
Heading out for Buckskin Ridge, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Heading out for Buckskin Ridge, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
We chatted briefly with an ultra-marathon gal who was just finishing up the loop we were hoping to do. She confirmed our suspicions regarding the Boundary Trail blowdown problem, so we were happy we brought saws. We arrived at Silver Pass, elevation 6500 feet, around dinner time and were able to find a primitive campsite not far from the pass, where a solo hiker was camped. We had stopped by on the way to fill up on water after looking at a map and not seeing a creek close by. After dinner we checked in with our respective kids, who like to keep track of what the old folks are up to, using the InReach Mini. Although it was literally freezing cold, we cowboy camped, and I fell asleep looking at the Milky Way, a sweet way to end the first day of our adventure! Day Two: Thursday, August 13 The day dawned clear and cold, with a light frost covering nearby huckleberry bushes. We packed up quickly, anticipating a challenging walk up to Buckskin Lake, our next destination. Hiking Partner had done this stretch of trail ten years ago with a fishing buddy straight through from Slate Pass to Buckskin Lake, but his memory of it was a bit vague. Most likely due to being in a haze of pain and exhaustion. lol.gif On the map it says “Not passable to stock beyond Silver Pass” and “Steep and dangerous”, so I was relieved to find it not too difficult coming down the pass.
Descending Silver Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Descending Silver Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
The trail wound through some lush meadows with views west to rugged Goat Ridge and I innocently commented on the pretty meadows 1,000 feet above us to the east. Hiking Partner said, “That’s where we are going”. winksmile.gif
Route to Buckskin Lake, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Route to Buckskin Lake, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
I soon found ourselves on some sort of vertical sheep trail through waist high brush, and did I mention that the sun suddenly seemed quite warm? After about an hour, the trail finally appeared to level off and start traversing along Buckskin Ridge. We talked briefly to a couple who had spent the night at Buckskin Lake who said they didn’t bring enough warm clothes. Soon after that a young couple passed by us, so we knew we would have company at the lake. We continued along the ridge, soaking in the views as the trail climbed higher, finally topping out at 7200 feet.
Here we chatted briefly with a gentleman who set up camp in a little meadow. Then we began the descent towards Buckskin Lake through beautiful larch-filled meadows. The evening light slanting through the trees gave the larches almost an ethereal look.
Buckskin Lake Route, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Buckskin Lake Route, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
There were at least four different parties camped close to each other at the lake, so we continued on up a hill to an excellent site above the lake with expansive views towards the Eastern Pasayten.
Buckskin Lake, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
We had a relaxing dinner and watched a beautiful sunset, glad to have made it through a challenging day, with an elevation gain of 1700 feet and a drop of 1800 feet, all in less than six miles. Day Three: Friday, August 14 I got up early to watch a beautiful sunrise at the lake, an inspiring way to start another challenging day.
We were expecting another long day, with the Pasayten Airstrip our goal for the night. There was an issue with a landslide near the Middle Fork of the Pasayten after traversing north down Buckskin Ridge, and our maps were not clear exactly where it was. However, the trail was much better than the previous day, and we enjoyed expansive views of the Eastern Pasayten and the Lost Peak area as we headed north in the pleasant morning sun.
Looking east from Buckskin Ridge, Slate Pass, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Looking east from Buckskin Ridge, Slate Pass, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
The delightful stroll through the flowery high meadows ended all too soon though, and we spent the next two hours climbing over downed trees as we descended down Buckskin Ridge to the Middle Fork of the Pasayten. Here we found a well built bridge over a beautiful section of the river, where we stopped for lunch.
Middle Fork Pasayten, north end of Buckskin Ridge, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Middle Fork Pasayten, north end of Buckskin Ridge, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
We chatted briefly with a couple of guys headed up to Buckskin Lake from Rock Creek, who muttered something about “more than they expected”, and wondered if anyone was having campfires at the lake. I helped them with a little reality check at this point, won’t go into the details. smile.gif We saw no one else the rest of the day. We had conversation regarding the landslide detour options with a group we saw earlier in the day, so we headed towards the Tatoosh Buttes trail to see if that would circumvent the problem. Shortly we realized that was not going to work, so we backtracked to Trail 498 and followed it to where the landslide was shown on the map. It turns out the slide is on the short connector trail between 498 and 485 to Tatoosh Buttes. What a relief! By that time the shadows were growing long and we were anxious to get to the Pasayten Airstrip for dinner, so we picked up the pace and before we knew it we were there. What a cool place, with a cabin, barn and outhouse built in the 1930’s and still used today by the Forest Service. Best of all, a faucet with running water, which I used immediately to get cleaned up!
Historic Cabin at Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Historic Cabin at Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Historic Cabin at Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Historic Cabin at Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Historic Outhouse at Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Historic Outhouse at Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Surprisingly, no one else was there, and once again I got to fall asleep under a beautiful night sky filled with bright stars and planets. Day Four: Saturday, August 15
Morning at Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Morning at Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
We expected this to be the crux of the trip, with 300 downed trees to negotiate as we progressed up to Frosty Pass. It was quite warm by 9am as we left the Airstrip and picked up the Boundary Trail. We were moving a little slow after hiking 13 1/2 miles the previous day!
Leaving our camp at the Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Leaving our camp at the Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
The blowdowns started right away, but weren’t as bad as expected. The trail itself was well built and easy to walk on, so by the time we reached Dead Lake, we felt it was ok to take a break. Actually, I basically just jumped into the lake as soon as I got there, because it was approaching the high 80’s by then. agree.gif
Boundary Trail from Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Boundary Trail from Pasayten Airstrip, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Dead Lake swimming spot, Slate Peak, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Dead Lake swimming spot, Slate Peak, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
After a refreshing swim, one of the highlights of the trip, we trudged on up the hill, climbing over and under countless huge trees, sawing limbs and branches strategically as we went. It took all afternoon and was exhausting in the oppressive heat. Plus the trail was overgrown in many places.
Boundary Trail at Frosty Creek, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Boundary Trail at Frosty Creek, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Boundary Trail at Frosty Creek, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Boundary Trail at Frosty Creek, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop, 8/12-8/19/20
Finally we made it to a primitive but comfortable campsite close to Frosty Creek, where we spent the night. We had seen no one the entire day, but there were plenty of big piles of bear scat around. Day Five: Sunday, August 16 This day started out rough but ended very nicely. Overnight, some energetic beavers had built a dam which created a deep pond across the trail, so we had to re-route through brush and more downed trees. huh.gif Then we continued to saw our way through the seemingly endless mess, until finally, we began ascending flower-filled meadows up to Frosty Pass. Again, it was very hot and humid, making the climb even more tedious. As we approached the pass though, all our struggles were rewarded! We rested at a beautiful babbling mountain stream and gained our energy back for the final push to the top.
Ascending Frosty Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Ascending Frosty Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
The views were fabulous and all our efforts were worthwhile.
Blizzard Peak from Frosty Pass, Slate Peak, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Blizzard Peak from Frosty Pass, Slate Peak, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Looking east from Frosty Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Looking east from Frosty Pass, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
We had been considering tagging the border once we hit the PCT, but that would have added another ten miles to an already exhausting day, so from Frosty Pass, we descended down the PCT to gorgeous Hopkins Lake, where we spent our fifth night. We had it all to ourselves, again having seen no one the entire day. We found out later that the last five miles on the PCT up to the Canadian border was strewn with blowdowns, so we had made a good call to skip it. Our evening was brightened when we got a message from my son that the weather forecast looked perfect for the remainder of our trip!
Looking toward Canada, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Looking toward Canada, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Frosty Pass Junction, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Frosty Pass Junction, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Hopkins Lake, Slate Pass, Buckskin Ridge, Frosty Pass, PCT Loop 8/12-8/19/20
Day Six: Monday, August 16 I woke up early after a rough night in which high winds blew dirt under my tarp and all over my stuff. Thankfully I was sleeping in my bivy sack. I was rewarded for my misery however, because there was a spectacular sunrise.
The hot humid weather seemed to have blown away with the high winds, and it was a perfect morning to work our way down the PCT. The scenery was amazing everywhere as far as the eye could see. This is one of the most beautiful sections of the PCT I have ever been on, without a doubt.
Surprisingly, we had not seen a soul until Woody Pass, where we saw one Hexamid tent, but no people. The section of trail between Woody and Rock Pass was exceptionally beautiful, with a hint of fall colors amongst the wildflowers.
Suddenly as I was looking back at Woody Pass, a little funnel appeared, and a dirt devil twisted along the path we had just walked on. One of the highlights of the trip for me!
On our way down to Holman Pass, we finally met some people, a dad and his teenage son who were headed up to the Canadian border. We had a nice visit with them, and then continued on through glorious flower-filled meadows to a little tarn where we spent a peaceful night.
Day Seven: Tuesday, August 17 I forgot to mention that on Day Six I realized that we were actually going to be out seven nights instead of six. What did that mean? Time to assess how much food we had left! Fortunately, it appeared that if all went according to plan, we would have enough for one more dinner and breakfast, then just snack food on our last day hike out. I also had a good supply of Green Superfood Effervescent tablets which were great for keeping my energy up. Our goal was to camp at an excellent site on Devil’s Backbone that night, where we had camped on a previous trip, so we focused on putting in the miles and didn’t take any pictures. I did manage to trip and fall though, on a perfectly flat section of the PCT which had one rock protruding. Ironically this was probably the best section of trail we walked on during the entire trip. clown.gif By this time, we were seeing a lot more people on the trail, and it was fun chatting with everyone and sharing trail beta. The last mile up to the camp at Devil’s Backbone was a tough one for me, because we had to fill our water containers at a creek on the way, suddenly adding on an extra five pounds to our packs. I love the views from that ridge though, and as soon as I dumped my pack off at our camp, my spirits were lifted.
The evening shadows lengthened over Goat and Buckskin Ridge and the Middle Fork of the Pasayten far off to the northeast, and rugged Devil’s Peak to the west.
We could look north all the way to the craggy peaks above Rock and Woody Pass, where we were the previous evening. It was amazing to see how far we had come! We reflected on what a beautiful trip it had been while we munched on the last of our emergency dinners (Ramen never tasted so good!)and were thankful that we each had enough snack food left for the eight mile hike out to Slate Pass the next day. It was an absolutely perfect evening for sleeping outside, so once again I drifted off to sleep watching the stars gracefully progressing across the night sky. Day Eight, Wednesday, August 19 This was our last day on the trail and I had mixed feelings about hiking out. I woke up before sunrise and watched the sun gradually light up the vast wildness of the Eastern Pasayten which I have grown to love over the past several years.
I felt comforted to know that such a huge area exists where I can go to experience immersion into such deep wilderness that I become completely detached from the complicated and stressful state of the civilized world. Yet, I am always happy when I come home to my beloved horses and pets, my beautiful gardens that need tending, and my wonderful friends and family who always enjoy hearing about my adventures. I know how lucky I am to share these experiences with Hiking Partner, who always has a positive attitude and is game for another adventure almost as soon as we arrive back home. My phone battery was close to being dead, and I had already used up two battery packs taking so many pictures, so I took just a few on our final leg of the trip back to our truck at Slate Pass.
We encountered many groups heading north, carrying full backpacks and with high spirits in anticipation of great adventures to come. Our day was made when we ran into a Forest Service employee who we had befriended several years ago while on early season adventures in the Eastern Pasayten, who is now a backcountry ranger. We didn’t see him last year, and were just talking about him the previous day, wondering how he was doing. He said that he had been thinking the same thing about us, wondering if the old folks were still out adventuring. lol.gif We had a nice chat and were able to give him some helpful trail beta. Hiking Partner hiked like a horse going back to the barn the last couple of miles to the truck, but I walked a leisurely pace, taking time to process in my heart and mind the overwhelmingly beautiful experiences I had been fortunate enough to have during our eight day trip. As I grew closer to the end, a gentle alpine breeze kept whispering in my ear, “Come back soon, come back soon” and I will...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 9:10 pm 
Wowzers! What a trip! Absolutely gorgeous scenery Nancyann... I have yet to do a week long trip in the mountains. Looks amazing, and definitely something I'd like to do some day! I'm glad you had enough food, even with the extra day. My last three day trip I was rather pleased with myself I ate literally everything I brought, down to the last bar I saved for the car. I imagine that's even harder to nail down with such a long trip! Anyway, excellent report. Looks like you had a great time! up.gif up.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 9:31 pm 
What a fun trip report to read! Nancy, your trip reports are always overflowing with joy and optimism. To buck those logs with hand saws is heroic.Rock Creek Trail has been a mess. I am happy to see the airstrip buildings still in good condition. I haven't seen them since about 1995. And a functioning faucet! I don't recall that feature, but being a guy we often don't pay attention to such details. shakehead.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 11:55 pm 
Fabulous Nancy - well done!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 9:52 am 
Beautiful photos! I love that area so much, and haven't been for a while, you put a big smile on my face this morning. Looks like an incredible trip! I haven't been to all the places you hit, but sure enjoyed looking at the pics.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 11:16 am 
Thanks for the nice compliments everyone! Cyclopath, that was the first time I had been north of Holman Pass and I was amazed at the spectacular mountains near the Canadian border and the views towards Ross Lake and NCNP. Thanks Brushbuffalow, I was excited to finally get to do this loop and it turned out even better than I expected. Hiking Partner had a nice 13” Silky Zubat, which he bought online at Wessper.com and I just had a little 6”folding Stihl, so he did most of the hard work, but he enjoys it. It looks like the F.S. is taking good care of the Airstrip buildings, even saw that they had wrapped the cabin in foil during the Diamond Creek Fire. Thanks, Aaron, yes you should definitely try to find time to do some longer trips. The best way to truly immerse yourself in the wilderness! Since I was trying to go as light as possible, I weighed everything on a scale when I was packing. For food I used a combination of a few cook-in-bag meals, rinsed them out afterwards and then used them to cook my own homemade meals using couscous and a variety of flavorings and freeze dried veggies. Also a few Thai ramens, so lightweight and tasty. I also grabbed several freeze-dried packages of fruit at Fred Meyers and PCC, used their bags to add water and vanilla protein powder to the fruit, shook them up, and voila! a fruit smoothie! I had these with almost every meal, so refreshing on a warm day. For lunch, I brought several days worth of sunflower butter mixed with raisins and coconut and found it a good source of energy. I choose sunflower butter because it doesn’t need to be refrigerated and I like it better than peanut butter. I relied heavily on ShotBloks to get up difficult sections of trail, until I ran out on Day Six. bawl.gif Like I mentioned in the TR, I often added Green Superfood Effervescent tablets to my water bottles for energy and always electrolytes on the hot days. I must say though, it sure felt good to sit down at a restaurant and eat a good dinner when we finished our trip! We actually had to drive to Pateros for dinner after discovering there were only two restaurants in Winthrop open, with a forty minute wait.

BarbE

BarbE
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 5:18 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Amazing trip and pictures! Love this shot of you!

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 5:54 pm 
Agreed .This one shot encapsulates how much Nancy loves the wilderness and life! Contrast her with the models with brand new gear, hair and makeup done just so, and pasted-on smiles in the catalog ads. ( your hair looks fabulous and your smile genuine, Nancy!) Also, I have loved that view of Hopkins Lake from above the three times I have seen it. Just lovely.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 6:47 pm 
Why thank you, Barb and Brushbuffalow! I will pass this along to Hiking Partner, who took the picture. Did you notice there were no pictures of me the previous day while we were climbing over and crawling on our hands and knees under all those Frosty Creek blowdowns? There’s a reason for that. lol.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 8:07 pm 
up.gif very nice, good to see a TR for the area

Eric Eames
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 9:26 pm 
Really nice trip and TR Nancy. Brings back all sorts of memories of trips past. 4 parties at Buckskin Lake? Wow, even the Pasayten is getting popular.... Glad you got some isolated time as well. Thanks for posting.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 12:54 pm 
Thanks for the report and pics, nicely done! Too bad about Frosty! In 2017 it was a mess, however when I went through there in 2018 the whole trail had been cleared.

silence

silence
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 am 
Awesome trip and scenery. I've never seen that stretch before .... your photos are captivating.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan