Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lava Beds National Monument/Klamath Wildlife Refuge 8.22.20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 6:51 pm 
Sometime during the night while camped at Bunny Flat on Mt. Shasta, I could smell smoke. When I got up the skies were hazy and the smell of smoke hung in the air, even at 7000’. I made breakfast and packed up, and while on the down hill there was a distinct layer….the smoke was confined to about 6000’ and above. The tides had turned, my lofty respite from the haze these past two days was now invaded. I gassed up and headed north with an open night; I was thinking the Fremont-Winema National Forest for dispersed camping, then continuing on to my two nights already reserved at Crater Lake. I quite enjoyed Highway 97 with its long straight expanses and, although hovering at elevations around 5000’, not high enough to get into the smoke layer. With no time commitments I was just tooling along and saw a sign for the Lava Beds National Monument and made a spur of the moment decision to go there. The bonus of the day, however, was passing the Klamath National Wildlife Refuge. So much fowl! This looked like a huge expanse of marsh and open water with thousands of birds. I stopped and broke out my telephoto, trying to capture some aerial follies. After a bit I continued on to Lava Beds and checked into the visitor center to get my cave pass. I made sure I only entered caves that were empty at the time….no sense being underground in a confined space with other people during Covid. Turns out there are more caves here than anywhere in the US, so I sampled a few then continued out of the park, stopping to take in the vast expanse of the lava fields. What a remarkable place! Sure glad I stopped, but I figure I can go where I please at the moment….Freedom!
Water Giraffe
Water Giraffe
Tubular!
Tubular!
Tight formation
Tight formation
Sideways look
Sideways look
Running start
Running start
Recent burn
Recent burn
Passing the lone wader
Passing the lone wader
Lottafowl
Lottafowl
Long legged
Long legged
Light at the end of the tunnel 2
Light at the end of the tunnel 2
Lava bed vast expanse
Lava bed vast expanse
Heron on the downstroke
Heron on the downstroke
Cave2
Cave2
#5 fails echelon practice
#5 fails echelon practice
"Why don't I do a little dance"
"Why don't I do a little dance"
"By sea or by air"
"By sea or by air"

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 8:30 pm 
Lots of history too. Center of the world for the native peoples. Site of the Modoc war. Not a very proud moment in US history. Also on the route of the Applegate Trail which crosses the OR-CA border right where Hwy97 does,

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 8:52 pm 
Lava beds is one of our fave spots, history, hikes, caves , views, and peace. Site of some very bad things. They even give you lights for the caves. Also near the site of the Tule Lake internment center and game refuge.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 8:55 pm 
Such an amazing place! Creative captions, too.