Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Anderson (7321') SE Slopes via The Dose 8/13/20-8/17/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JasonK806

JasonK806
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 8:50 am 
After attempting Anderson last year on a 3 day trip and not even getting onto the mountain due to inclement weather and having a big first day of approach that left my legs a bit more tired than I would like I decided to change strategies for this attempt and go slow and heavy with a 5 day round trip. This was ideal since I had plenty of time on my hands and just wanted to be away from it all for a few days and get back into nature for an extended amount of time. Also "slow and heavy" rarely fails. Starting at the Dosewallips washout and riding my bike up the road to the ranger station where the real trailhead begins and making first nights camp at Diamond Meadows. I liked this as a halfway point between high camp and the trailhead. The next day moving camp up to the two lakelets overlooking the Dose at the base of the SE slopes of Mt. Anderson
I was really motivated this year to snag this peak as it's been on my radar for the better part of the past decade. I always thought it was a bit out my reach until I got my skills and experience up to par with what the mountain required. As usual this was a solo journey and knew no mishaps were a big deal, which to me means complete awareness of every step and every breath. It wasn't so much the technical difficulty but being at ease with being far out in the middle of the peninsula on a big mountain. I even had a moment in the 3rd class gully, which is quite chossy, of "is this mountain worth the risks being taken?" and after a minute of thought the answer was yes. (I don't carry a SPOT Messenger, just a cell phone but usually no coverage, but have been thinking about it recently) Risk management is one of the key factors in climbing big mountains. Going into my late twenties now I feel my frontal lobe has developed more to perceive these risks as where in my early twenties I just sort of went for it without thinking much of the risks being taken. After all the body is what gets you up the mountain and the brain is what makes sure you make it back in one piece.
On the upper mountain after the 3rd class gully
On the upper mountain after the 3rd class gully
Getting closer
Getting closer
Felt good to be on top
Felt good to be on top
Epic views
Epic views
Happy camper
Happy camper
Get me in that Lake!
Get me in that Lake!
Unwinding with some music
Unwinding with some music
The swim in the south lake felt amazing, with the sun beating down the water temperature was perfect. With being unemployed this year giving this mountain the time that was required completely allowed for visualization and completion of this long term goal. The next morning what did I see? Of course, a bear coming up the hillside below my tent, and got a good picture without the bears face down in the ground foraging for food for once. With that great fireball in the sky making for a hot Sunday I broke down camp early and made my way back to Diamond Meadows for reading, napping and taking it easy in the cover of the trees.
Morning of the last day
Morning of the last day
Only brought crampons for this trip, no ice axe, and that was all that was needed for the low angle snow patches that were lingering up high.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:20 am 
Beautiful Congratulations on getting that one and thanks for sharing. Anderson is still on my list.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:25 am 
Great stuff! Hey did we see you on the summit of Anderson at maybe 9 AM on Saturday? If that was you, we waved at each other.. We ascended the same way you did (route 2 in the guidebook), went out and back to West Peak and then went up Anderson that evening. Beautiful summit, beautiful place.

JasonK806

JasonK806
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 10:58 am 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Great stuff! Hey did we see you on the summit of Anderson at maybe 9 AM on Saturday?
Yah that was me on Saturday giving a big woooh on the summit. Heard your voices, thought you two were coming up to the summit I was on. Meant to ask what you were doing looking down the Eel. Was wondering what took you guys so long when you were passing my camp at 5:30 that evening. The West Peak looks like a knife edge choss pile, yikes!

RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 4:11 pm 
Those lakes are a special place and you got it done! Thanks for sharing. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 5:51 pm 
Mountains like this one are best experienced alone sometimes. Envious of your accomplishment.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 6:02 pm 
It is what it is frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 6:19 pm 
My first glacier back in 1972. Gone. I truly believe a memorial plaque should be placed near the old terminus.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 6:40 pm 
That is quite a comparison Brian. Thanks for posting that. There is even a pretty big difference between 2004 and 2020.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Aug 19, 2020 7:17 pm 
Holy shitballs!! That sucks for sure, still a badass mountain though! Thanks for the posts all. cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
silence

silence
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 6:52 am 
Nice! Glad you got 'er done!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Aug 22, 2020 6:03 pm 
fantabulous! check that off your list!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss