Forum Index > Trail Talk > Choosing between South/McAlester/Twisp Pass and White Pass/Pilot Ridge Loops
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 8:27 am 
Okay, it seems pretty clear that some version of the White Pass / Pilot Ridge (or Bald Eagle) Loop is the preferred choice. I was thinking of going the coming Sat-Tues, but the weather is going downhill and I'm not driving six hours for a hike in August that barely gets out of the 40s and a decent chance of rain. Will this route be too crowded on Labor Day weekend? I might be able to get to this later in September, but that is not looking likely.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 8:58 am 
Why don't you do the South/McAlester/Twisp Pass route? Much less crowded area, shorter drive, and better weather. You will be joining the Seattle masses on the other route.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 12:20 am 
I would recommend not Twisp Pass, not that that's poor fare, but rather the McAlester and Rainbow lakes loop. Hiked it a few weeks ago - spectacular! And the bugs will be lessening now. My other all-time favorite hike? Yeah, you guessed it: The North Fork Sauk cathedral forest, the headwall climb, the stunning meadows full of curious marmots. Pilot Ridge stretching on and on. The massive Glacier looming like a surprise as you round nobs and bumps. The wobbly leg drop endlessly down to river far below. But I can't do it justice. Sigh

drm

drm
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 7:08 am 
I'm kind of saving Rainbow Lake for a Stehekin out-and-back trip, particularly since Bowan Pass and it's north side don't have the best rep. What was the pass and the north side like?

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 8:55 am 
Do you mean over South Pass, down to the trailhead, walk the road to the Twisp Pass trailhead, and then back up? I wouldn't do that, or any loop hike on those trails because the loops all involve long drops and climbs.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir