Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bears Breast Mountain ~ August 23-24, 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 2:27 pm 
Jake and I have long dreamed about climbing Bears Breast Mountain. This week, we finally made it happen. Salena was also along for the ride. Instead of slogging in the incredibly dusty trail to Waptus Lake, we decided to approach from the west and do Puzzlr's route up from Dutch Miller Gap. After nearly 11 years, I was stoked to return to The Gap , which was one of the places that made me fall in love with the mountains in the first place. Jake and Selena wanted to bike/hike in early on Sunday morning to do Little Big Chief and Summit Chief. I did not want to get up that early, so we agreed that I would cruise in with a later start and meet them at Dutch Miller Gap on Sunday evening. After the bumpy drive to Dingford Creek, I was pedaling up the closed portion of the road at 12:30 or so. Roughly 90 minutes later, I was stashing the bike at the end of the road and hitting the trail towards Dutch Miller Gap.
a new wilderness sign
a new wilderness sign
Iron Cap
Iron Cap
Bears Breast!
Bears Breast!
a nice pool at Pedro Camp
a nice pool at Pedro Camp
Little Big Chief
Little Big Chief
saw a lot of these guys
saw a lot of these guys
junction
junction
approaching DMG
approaching DMG
La Bohn Peak
La Bohn Peak
I was stoked to make it from my Subaru to Dutch Miller Gap in 4:45. I quickly found Jake and Selena's tent and was surprised to find them there. They ended up getting a later start than intended and decided to just chill at DMG instead of trying for Little Big Chief. Once I arrived, we all agreed that we should move camp up to the tarns at 5300 ft. This was both to make our approach to the mountain slightly shorter in the morning and maybe avoid some of the bugs hanging out at The Gap. We all went to bed early.
alpenglow on Bears Breast from camp (summit on the far right)
alpenglow on Bears Breast from camp (summit on the far right)
Little Big Chief with the Moon
Little Big Chief with the Moon
sunset
sunset
We got up just after dawn and were moving from camp shortly after 6. We hiked up 100 ft from the tarns and schwacked through some shrubby trees, then descended some scree and talus for a few hundred feet to the base of Bears Breast's imposing south face. Jake then found a nice series of ledges that got us up towards the large central gully that would take us several hundred feet up towards the ridge crest.
sunrise on LBC
sunrise on LBC
Waptus Lake
Waptus Lake
From the benches and ledges, it was on. The route gets serious quickly, and we frequently built cairns to aid us on our descent later on. We climbed many 4th and low 5th class steps in the lower gully but all felt secure enough to never break out the rope. There was one section where we traversed a very narrow ledge that ended in slabby feet and hands with incredible exposure. A slip there would have been certain death.
the fun begins
the fun begins
Jake doing a move
Jake doing a move
Selena busting a move
Selena busting a move
getting steep
getting steep
dont fall here
dont fall here
the mental crux traverse
the mental crux traverse
After 500 feet or so of gnar, the terrain eased. We eventually arrived in a place where the gully forced us out right. We climbed some loose dirt and duff for a short bit to exit the gully, then followed easy scrambling up heather and rock to a col on the ridge. From there, it was a very brief scramble over a bump on the ridge and the imposing summit tower was right there.
easier terrain
easier terrain
easier terrain
easier terrain
easier terrain and the notch
easier terrain and the notch
Hinman and Daniel from the notch
Hinman and Daniel from the notch
Bears Breast
Bears Breast
We stashed our packs and racked up for the climb. Instead of following Puzzlr's beta for the first pitch, we eyed a low angle line to the left. I went out on lead and the climbing started out easy enough (cl 4) but eventually steepened. It got intense and there was no pro, but I could tell I was just below the easier terrain that leads to the chimney crux. After traversing back and forth and trying a few options that sketched me out, I found some terrain that seemed doable. I then spotted a rusty piton that wiggled even if you just looked at it the wrong way. f### it, I clipped it, and pulled the crux. Should have brought rock shoes. It was intense, but over quickly enough. I then trailed the rope up to an anchor of worn slings and belayed Jake and Selena up.
pitch 1 done
pitch 1 done
pitch 2
pitch 2
Pitch 2 was more technically difficult but actually had decent pro. Some 5.6 moves brought me to a cockstone which was interesting to surmount. Once over the chockstone, I squeezed by way 25 more feet up a narrow chimney to another anchor. I locked in and brought Jake and Selena up.
leading the crux pitch (photo by Selena)
leading the crux pitch (photo by Selena)
The 3rd pitch was much easier. From the top of that pitch, it was a short but very loose 3rd class summit to Bears Breast glory.
Selena finishing the technical section
Selena finishing the technical section
the gang finishing Bears Breast
the gang finishing Bears Breast
BB views
BB views
Rainier
Rainier
Daniel
Daniel
Stuart
Stuart
Hinman and Glacier
Hinman and Glacier
wonderful place
wonderful place
summitshot (jake had already left to set up our first rap
summitshot (jake had already left to set up our first rap
We got down from the summit tower in 3 rappels. The rap down the chimney was easier than we expected. We backed up the worn webbing on the 3rd anchor. From there, we carefully scrambled down 800 feet or so until the terrain steeped enough to want to rappel again. 2 more rappels later, we were back on scramble terrain and nearly off the mountain.
just below the summit
just below the summit
rapping
rapping
rapping the chimney
rapping the chimney
Selena on rap 3
Selena on rap 3
looking back
looking back
general terrain up high on BB
general terrain up high on BB
careful
careful
rap 4
rap 4
anchor 5
anchor 5
rap 5
rap 5
what a route!
what a route!
Once off the peak, it was a 30 minute hike back up to camp where we promptly packed up and began the slog out at 5:30 or so.
a beautiful pool we passed on the way back to camp
a beautiful pool we passed on the way back to camp
camp
camp
Once on the trail, we hoofed it down to the bikes and got some riding in before it was headlamp time. We eventually arrived back at Dingford Creek shortly before 10pm. So stoked to have Bears Breast in the bag!
looking back to BB
looking back to BB
yum
yum
~35 miles ~7200 ft of gain ~2 days

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 3:09 pm 
Thanks for leading everything, Fletcher. Couldn't have done it without ya!
Snoqualmie, Avalanche, Chair, Kaleetan
Snoqualmie, Avalanche, Chair, Kaleetan
Pedro Camp
Pedro Camp
DMG
DMG
Bears Breast
Bears Breast
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Little Big Chief sunrise
Little Big Chief sunrise
Camp lakelet
Camp lakelet
Ramp leading to gully
Ramp leading to gully
Little Big Chief
Little Big Chief
Beginning of the difficult scrambling
Beginning of the difficult scrambling
Near the notch
Near the notch
Selena climbing the chimney
Selena climbing the chimney
Rebecca, Rowena, Hinman
Rebecca, Rowena, Hinman
Daniel
Daniel
Signing the register
Signing the register
Citadel, Cradle, Cashmere
Citadel, Cradle, Cashmere
The Crest
The Crest
Fletcher
Fletcher
Summit block
Summit block
Selena rappeling
Selena rappeling
Rappeling lower down in the gully
Rappeling lower down in the gully
Review shot of the entire route
Review shot of the entire route
Burnt Boot
Burnt Boot

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 3:35 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Rebecca, Rowena, Hinman
Rebecca, Rowena, Hinman
Nice, always wanted to go back and check out the small tarns on the ridge above Rebecca and Rowena.

neek

neek
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 4:55 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
the mental crux traverse
the mental crux traverse
I hate stuff like that!! Happy to live vicariously though you guys on this one. Nice work.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 6:10 pm 
Nice work! Didn't realize bears breast was such a beast.

Eric Eames
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 9:41 pm 
up.gif Nice work. The bottom crack on the summit block looked like it had some sweet hand jams? cool.gif
Fletcher wrote:
the mental crux traverse
the mental crux traverse
Do you have a picture of how you got onto that slab? That looks totally nuts, but I'm guessing it's partly perspective. Where did you come from to get onto that face?

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:10 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
Do you have a picture of how you got onto that slab? That looks totally nuts, but I'm guessing it's partly perspective. Where did you come from to get onto that face?
below jake (i am closer to the camera than jake) you can see some steep class 4 terrain leading down and farther away from the camera. that is where we ascended. it is not perspective, it was really that steep there! thanks for a great trip guys! i am having phone trouble with making an album but will update this with my additional photos asap!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:41 pm 
I don't remember that scary traverse, but there are probably many ways to get up those lower cliffs. Congrats on the summit -- it's the hardest Middle Fork summit IMO. You happened to summit on my birthday too! I love the shot of the clouds streaming through Dutch Miller Gap in the video.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 5:26 am 
rocker.gif Wow! That is a serious mountain for sure! Yall make it look too easy lol! Congrats on that one, cheers!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 9:00 am 
camp looks like a cool tarn!

Art is an adventure.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 10:20 am 
Congratulation on your successful bid for one of the more challenging Homecourt peaks. That wobbly pin may be from the Fred Beckey first ascent party. The lead for my climb actually aided the climb by clipping onto that piton.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 10:27 am 
The ledge was really bad. It made me really uncomfortable and I think it was the worst thing we did on the entire climb. I built a cairn near the start of it thinking we'd go back down that way, but there was no way any of us were reversing those moves. Glad to rappel that section but unfortunately, the cairn is still there (I would have dismantled it if we passed it on the way down). My advice to future climbers would be to avoid that ledge if you can! There is probably a better way. In his report, Mike Collins said something to the effect of "if someone were to get in trouble on this mountain, it would probably be in the steep part of the lower gully" and I think we all agree with that. puzzlr - we really appreciated your detailed TR! Even with all your info we managed to get mixed up in the gully quite a few times, it is a complicated route. One I am glad to have done and will never repeat. What would you say are the other most difficult Middle Fork peaks? Would you say BB is even harder than the Garfield "hazardous enigma" route?

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 am 
If I ever tackle this thing I was considering coming in from the north side ramps to the notch of the summit block. Would I be missing worthwhile scrambling in the south gullies? Embarrassed to say I've stared at it for 32 years and really have given up considering it, but your pics look really aesthetic. Given up on Chimney too. Thanks, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 10:47 am 
John, as I said in my TR, we were initially thinking of doing the Mega Slab Route but Im glad we did what we did. Aside from the airy ledge, I don't think we did anything else that was *too* sketchy. The scrambling down low is solid and honestly, pretty amazing.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:55 am 
Fletcher wrote:
The scrambling down low is solid and honestly, pretty amazing.
It sure looked it in the pics! 1 70M rope? I look at pics but really don't read the text, sorry!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.