Forum Index > Trail Talk > backcountry cabins
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
smp77

smp77
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:06 am 
I'm looking for recommendations for backcountry structures that could potentially be used as a shelter (or that are just really cool hiking destinations) - fire lookouts, old mining huts, abandoned cabins, etc. So far I've visited a few lookouts and Tungsten Mine and am planning a few more day hikes and backpacking trips. I have a degree in historical archaeology so finding signs of past human occupation and activity in the wilderness lets me combine my love of hiking and my love of people's old stuff.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 11:25 am 
In the states not so much. In Britsh Columbia there are numerous huts built and maintained by the Alpine Club Of Canada, University of Vancouver Varsity Outdoor Club, BC parks as well as numerous privately built and maintained huts. In the states Wilderness areas building new structures is against federal regulations and maintenance of existing structures is haphazard. Outside of wilderness areas there are a few, Mt Tahoma Trails huts, Rendezvous Huts, Scottish Lakes and a yurt used by North Cascades Helicopter Skiing. Those are all primarily skiing oriented. In Oregon there are Wing Ridge Huts and Wallowa Alpine Huts. Again ski oriented. Most historic structures have collapsed at this point from the heavy snowfall in the cascades.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 12:25 pm 
Have you been to the Pasayten airfield? Pretty cool, might interest you in that it comes from a time when air travel was much simpler, and that who built it is lost to history. Desolation Lookout was a very cool hike. Unbeatable scenery, incredible solitude, a fun journey in, and it's where Kerouac lost his mind.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 12:45 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Have you been to the Pasayten airfield? Pretty cool, might interest you in that it comes from a time when air travel was much simpler, and that who built it is lost to history. Desolation Lookout was a very cool hike. Unbeatable scenery, incredible solitude, a fun journey in, and it's where Kerouac lost his mind.
Hmmm, I might know a guy who would know when and who built the airfield. This guy is a 90 year old and surveyed a lot of the trails back there.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 2:10 pm 
Link: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/WA/Airfields_WA_C.htm#pasayten Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 pm 
The Indian Point Cabin in the Bob Marshall was pretty cool, although it was locked so we just hung out on the porch and sat on the benches. But, I really enjoyed the outhouse after 2 nights out backpacking. 3 Fingers lookout is awesome and last Summer I went to the Lookout Mt lookout NE of Priest Lake. It's a pretty cool old historic lookout that you could stay the night in, one could also follow the ridge of the Selkirk Crest and climb Lions head peak nearby.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Washakie

Washakie
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 2:43 pm 
I have done several trips to Europe hiking hut to hut in the Alps. It is a great and unique experience compared to our backpacking. Beautiful rugged moutains, meeting interresting people, good hearty food, a warm bunk at night. There are several small books available that provide the info needed to choose where to go. I lost mine but I think the title was simply Hiking Hut To Hut In The Alps. Expand your horizons,

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 3:39 pm 
The shelter near Sand Lake was pretty sad. It was being slowly vandalized for firewood. I do not know if it is still standing. A tent would be preferable for me.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Luc

Luc
PostSun Aug 30, 2020 1:05 pm 
+1 for the pasayten. If you do a circuit that hits both tungsten and the airstrip you will likely come across old relics beyond structures, like tools. I've never been to the airstrip when things were unlocked or otherwise occupied, but the tungsten structures are pretty accessible, yet I don't think you'd want to sleep in the cabins.

GNGSTR
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Aug 30, 2020 1:15 pm 
Luc wrote:
yet I don't think you'd want to sleep in the cabins.
The tungsten cabin had a lot of rodent droppings when I was there 10 years ago.

Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Aug 30, 2020 5:15 pm 
Prufers Cabin
Prufers Cabin
Prufers Cabin
Prufers Cabin
Prufers Cabin in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Aug 30, 2020 6:17 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
The shelter near Sand Lake was pretty sad. It was being slowly vandalized for firewood. I do not know if it is still standing. A tent would be preferable for me.
Is the Skeeter Shelter still there near lake Packwood area, coming down the clear Fork Cowlitz (?)

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Aug 30, 2020 6:24 pm 
The old cabins are fun to explore but I wouldn’t sleep in most of them due to hantavirus, although I did in the past pitching a tent on the floor.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Aug 30, 2020 6:30 pm 
There was a really nice old shelter by Box Canyon in MNRP when I was a kid. We slept there one night and I woke up to water dripping on my foot. Pretty soon I thought "weird, it's not raining" and I lifted my foot up and felt the bag. It had a hole in it where a rat had been removing stuffing, and each tug felt like a "drip"

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Aug 30, 2020 11:51 pm 
kbatku wrote:
Is the Skeeter Shelter still there near lake Packwood area, coming down the clear Fork Cowlitz (?)
I believe it's collapsed.