Forum Index > Trail Talk > 'Recreate Responsibly' signs to be installed on recreation sites statewide 08/26/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 9:09 am 
Wednesday August 26, 2020 21:11 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE 'Recreate Responsibly' signs in English and Spanish to be installed on recreation sites statewide Signage results from partnership between state agencies and REI Co-op OLYMPIA – Starting this week, new aluminum signs will greet visitors at state parks, wildlife areas, and recreation lands around the state with guidance on how to "recreate responsibly" during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.The signs feature seven tips developed by the Recreate Responsibly Coalition . The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission , the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) are installing nearly 400 signs in English and Spanish at popular recreation areas. Land managers are observing a sharp increase in visits to state public lands compared to previous years leading to health and safety concerns. State land managers' goal is to provide guidance on how people can protect their families, their communities, and the environment while enjoying public lands, trails, and waters. REI Co-op, a founding member of the Recreate Responsibly Coalition, funded the sign creation. "We are thrilled to partner with REI to share the message that we're all in this together as we battle to slow and stop the spread of this pandemic, including while we're enjoying our public lands," said Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz. "This is our collective effort to educate recreationists on the importance of taking precautions while out on the trail or at the local park. We know how critical our lands are to residents during this unprecedented time. We just ask that they enjoy them responsibly." The Recreate Responsibly Coalition first released their outdoor recreation tips in May as parks, beaches, and recreation areas started to reopen around the state. The recreate responsibly tips follow recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control, state and local public health professionals, and recreation experts. Over the summer, the coalition added a new foundational principle, calling on outdoor enthusiasts to do their part to help build a safe and welcoming outdoor for all identities and abilities. The seven guidelines are: Know Before You Go: Check the status of the place you want to visit. If it is closed, don't go. If it's crowded, have a backup plan. Plan Ahead: Prepare for facilities to be closed, pack lunch, and bring essentials like hand sanitizer and a face covering. Explore Locally: Limit long-distance travel and make use of local parks, trails, and public spaces. Be mindful of your impact on the communities you visit. Practice Physical Distancing: Keep your group size small. Be prepared to cover your nose and mouth and give others space. If you are sick, stay home. Play It Safe: Slow down and choose lower-risk activities to reduce your risk of injury. Search and rescue operations and health care resources are both strained. Leave No Trace: Respect public lands and communities and take all your garbage with you. Build an Inclusive Outdoors: Be an active part of making the outdoors safe and welcoming for all identities and abilities. "Some of our most treasured areas have seen an unprecedented amount of use this summer," said WDFW Director Kelly Susewind. "We're glad to see so many people enjoying the outdoors and visiting public lands, and we're asking everyone to play their part to protect our natural resources and local communities so these areas can remain open." "Our public lands belong to everyone, and everyone has a role to play in keeping them safe and pristine," said State Parks Director Don Hoch. "These guidelines serve as a reminder of our shared responsibility in maintaining our state's most treasured places." "The Recreate Responsibility Coalition is working to reach all Washingtonians who love the outdoors and seek nature to reflect and recharge," said Taldi Harrison, REI community and government affairs manager. "The new signs will serve as an important reminder as people start their adventure or moment of solitude that their actions will keep them healthy while helping to maintain open access to parks, trails, and beaches." About the Recreate Responsibility Coalition The Recreate Responsibly Coalition is a newly formed partnership of nonprofits, outdoor businesses, and land managers developing and sharing best practices to protect each other and our natural landscapes. We are a diverse community brought together by our love of the outdoors and a desire to help everyone experience the benefits of nature safely during this public health crisis. Building off the work of the Washington state coalition, which formed to provide guidance to the public as Washington's public lands were slowly reopening, the national coalition is a working group that looks to unify and amplify common-sense guidance about getting outside during COVID-19. The national group includes partner organizations representing a diverse community of outdoor groups and advocates committed to helping all Americans navigate new norms and experience the benefits of nature during the COVID-19 pandemic. To learn more, visit recreateresponsibly.org. About Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission manages more than 120 state parks and properties totaling approximately 120,000 acres. The Commission provides a variety of recreation opportunities for citizens and provides stewardship protection for a diverse array of natural, cultural and historic resources. State Parks' statewide programs include long-distance trails, boating safety and winter recreation. About WDFW The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife actively manages about one million acres of land, with 33 wildlife areas and nearly 500 water access areas around the state. These public lands help sustain wildlife habitat and public recreation opportunities for current and future generations. WDFW is the primary state agency tasked with preserving, protecting, and perpetuating fish, wildlife, and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing and hunting opportunities. About DNR Recreation The Washington State Department of Natural Resources, led by the Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz, manages almost 1,300 miles of trails and 160-plus recreation sites in 3 million acres of working forest state trust lands and 92 natural areas. DNR trust lands keep forests development-free, provide clean water, and generate revenue for public services and school construction. To learn more about recreation on DNR-managed lands, visit dnr.wa.gov/go. About the REI Co-op REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation's largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 19 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 165 locations in 39 states and the District of Columbia. If you can't visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet, or the REI shopping app. REI isn't just about gear. Adventurers can take the trip of a lifetime with REI's active adventure travel company, a global leader that runs more than 250 itineraries across all continents. In every community where REI has a presence, professionally trained instructors share their expertise by hosting beginner-to advanced-level classes and workshops about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all. -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 9:26 am 
Well, I like their spirit, though I'm skeptical that anyone who is leaving garbage/etc will not do so because they read a sign. Just yesterday I watched a 30ish guy stroll past two signs that said "no dogs" at the Palisade Lakes th (Rainier) with his off leash dog. (I ran into him later, about 3 miles in, and tried to politely engage with him, taking the tactic that his little dog might be in danger from predators, and he said he's from LA, they hike in the Sierras, around bears, all the time, and there is no problem).

pula58

pula58
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 9:50 am 
Nice...but. pack up all your garbage with you is just one small element of leave no trace. I wish they had a more comprehensive LNT statement that includes no tent site "engineering", no cutting live or dead wood when above a certain elevation, don't camp on fragile heather, etc.

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 10:45 am 
Yes, but how long do you want that sign to be?

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 10:46 am 
Ah, yes. "My dog's never been eaten by a bear before!" shakehead.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 11:06 am 
pula58 wrote:
"I wish they had a more comprehensive LNT statement..."
ChanceShowers wrote:
Yes, but how long do you want that sign to be?
A note about signs: I apprenticed as a sign painter and graphic designer from 1968 until about 1973. Both prior to that and after I painted most of the signage for our 9 stores. While there is no doubt there are more aspects of the whole "LNT" thing than just packing out your own trash, there are limits to how much text can be included on any signage. I kind of doubt any of us would want to see billboard-sized signs at trailheads citing all the different things that people should and should not do outdoors. More importantly, most people stop reading after a point - their attention spans are limited, so you have to get the important stuff across and forget the details. (The rule in outside sales is that you have about 20 seconds to make your pitch. With signs, that attention span is in most cases much shorter.) It all goes back to the "K.I.S.S." rule: "Keep it Simple, Stupid" That aside, I see this as a net positive, and it's good to see REI step up to the plate and make the effort. We should expect of some of the other major outdoor equipment and clothing manufacturers to make like efforts.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 12:00 pm 
Also, it's for state land. Is there any backpacking in state parks here? I can't think of any, but I mostly spend my time within the NFs so I don't know the SP system that well.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 12:11 pm 
I've been thinking about things that might help educate people. I don't know if any of my ideas are worthwhile or not, but one thing I thought of was videos like this one made by Katmai NP. This is meant to teach you the rules of the park, specifically relating to bears, and to emphasize how important it is that you follow them, but it's such a great video! It's beautiful and engaging. I've watched it multiple times and shared it with people that have been interested in my own Katmai trip. It is possible for other parks to do this where everyone learns the rules and why it is important to follow them? Maybe give people something--a discount, if workable--if they show they watched the video? Would it help, or will the trash-leaving, music blasting, surface pooping crowd do what they want? Katmai video: https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view.htm?id=5B03BBE4-BF5F-AA8E-B7CA9423C8DC53A0

guibo

guibo
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 12:15 pm 
This is a great step forward...,for REI’s PR team. They were behind on their KPI’s for the year. For everyone else, it will have zero noticeable impact. A few folks might learn a word or two of Spanish.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 12:36 pm 
Ski wrote:
That aside, I see this as a net positive, and it's good to see REI step up to the plate and make the effort. We should expect of some of the other major outdoor equipment and clothing manufacturers to make like efforts.
On the other hand it's a sad day when we have to rely on corporate charity to take care of our public lands. frown.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 12:58 pm 
^ Yeah well.... federal funding appropriations for public education and public service announcements (about things like "Don't be a Litterbug!") have been sorely lacking for half a century. In light of the most recent press releases from WDFW, I'd tend to doubt that we're going to see State-level funding for this sort of effort increasing in the near future. I see it more as a "glass half full" than a "glass half empty".

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 1:21 pm 
This reminds me of this famous Edward Abbey quote: “I tossed my empty out the window and popped the top from another can of Schlitz. Littering the public highway? Of course I litter the public highway. Every chance I get. After all, it’s not the beer cans that are ugly; it’s the highway that is ugly.” – Edward Abbey REI can pat themselves on the back job well done while ignoring the massive environmental effects of the consumerism they promote.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 2:34 pm 
altasnob wrote:
while ignoring the massive environmental effects of the consumerism they promote.
...and that we support.

Brian R

Brian R
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 5:35 pm 
Sign, sign Everywhere a sign Blockin' out the scenery Breakin' my mind Do this, don't do that Can't you read the sign?

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostFri Aug 28, 2020 5:21 am 
And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house "Hey! What gives you the right?" "To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in" "If God was here he'd tell you to your face, man, you're some kinda sinner"

Vesper Peak