Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Donating to nonprofit wilderness conservation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 8:46 pm 
Songs2 wrote:
wild camping (legal), right up to the point at which a river is uncrossable, e.g., because a bridge has been removed as a nonconforming structure.
What is "wild" camping? (sounds like you can camp anywhere..? which is not specific to wilderness in land managed by USFS). Wilderness designation does not require bridge removal or preclude installation and repair. My guess is there's a rogue Wilderness-zealot land manager . But like you, I stick to smaller orgs where I think my modest donation doesn't seem so lost!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 8:42 am 
Songs2 wrote:
I will be interested to hear how the discovery process unfolds for you, if this is something you wish to share.
Ideally I would do sufficient research to make sure the organization is doing the things I would like, but I'm not going to do much of that. A combination of not having enough time and the fact that it's a small amount of money that's not actually my money. (In lieu of a referral bonus my employer is giving me money to donate to a charity/nonprofit.) I may end up donating it to www.nmwild.org which appears to be the only outdoors nonprofit in my home state.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 3:06 pm 
A little farther north - protecting the Great Bear Rainforest - Pacific Wild

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Songs2

Songs2
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 4:50 pm 
Kim Brown, Correct, by "wild" camping I meant dispersed camping in undesignated sites. The removal of 2 bridges from a Wilderness area has changed use patterns and impacts. IIRC, Wilderness designation may not "require" but supports (not sure of exact wording) removal of nonconforming structures less than 50 years old (exceptions may be made for safety reasons), after which they are deemed historical artifacts and worthy of preservation - but that 50 year mark is quite fungible. There was a zealous supervisor. Anne Elk, The Great Bear Rain Forest would indeed be an interesting destination for contributions, especially after the long negotiations and ?litigation. Thanks for the link to jump-start my research. 80skeys, Lots of good ideas here! Good luck with your decision - any contribution helps the do-good orgs.