Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The hunter becomes the hunted..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 7:45 pm 
Oregon bow hunter killed by elk. https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/oregon-archery-hunter-gored-killed-charging-elk-police-say

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ChuckG

ChuckG
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 pm 
At least he died doing something he loved (sarcasm intended)!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:18 pm 
Right? From the story it seems that the landowner was the one killed, while helping him find the elk, well they found him all right. Imho, I don't think bow hunting for large game should be allowed, maybe for some who are sufficiently skilled, because too many times they are injured and get away to suffer.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:37 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Imho, I don't think bow hunting for large game should be allowed, maybe for some who are sufficiently skilled, because too many times they are injured and get away to suffer.
Do you have any data to support your opinion? I suspect that significant numbers of elk/deer are wounded by modern firearm , but not dropped and the elk/deer runs and hides and isn't quickly or ever found by the hunters for them to "put it out of it's misery" Even with a precise shot with a modern firearm, the result is a painful death for the hunted animals.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 9:58 am 
Randito wrote:
Do you have any data to support your opinion?
I didn't know I needed any. I speak from experience, back in the midwest where I grew up, bow hunters were not popular, due to many instances of finding animals wounded because of the failure of a "clean kill" by a bow hunter and a deer they shot. My Mom fond one dead that had an arrow through it's jaw and it starved to death. Her cousin shot and killed a deer and while cleaning it found a pocket of puss caused by a broken off arrow, the deer meat was a total loss. There were many more instances. If you think that a bow and arrow is as efficient at killing as a long rifle, then you have obviously never hunted. You, I would say are more of a Fisherman, and likely prefer trolling..

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 10:17 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Imho, I don't think bow hunting for large game should be allowed, maybe for some who are sufficiently skilled, because too many times they are injured and get away to suffer.
I thought you were against anything nanny state?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 10:25 am 
Usually yes, but it just seems really stupid to try to bring down a large animal with an arrow when a more modern method is much more efficient and humane.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 2:04 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
If you think that a bow and arrow is as efficient at killing as a long rifle, then you have obviously never hunted.
I never said or even implied any such thing. I said that modern firearms don't have a 100% kill "batting average" and that being shot by a modern firearm isn't a painless death.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 2:36 pm 
I should post more threads like this, gives my trolls something to feed upon, lol.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 2:39 pm 
Randito wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
If you think that a bow and arrow is as efficient at killing as a long rifle, then you have obviously never hunted.
I never said or even implied any such thing. I said that modern firearms don't have a 100% kill "batting average" and that being shot by a modern firearm isn't a painless death.
Not sure what your point is then and your reason for responding other than you are simply a troll who likes to stir the pot, but hey it's a free country, so by all means, carry on. My point was simple and valid, not sure what your issue is?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:35 pm 
Deer and Elk kill far more people than Grizzlies And Black bears. That has always been the case. Probably far more hunters kill them selves or others than deer or elk. Poor firearm safety, auto accidents, kicks, and occasional goring. Same as it ever was.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 pm 
True and moose are the most dangerous.