Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > WTA backcountry trips
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Feb 16, 2024 4:22 pm 
WTA has posted previews of the Back Country Response Trips (BCRTs) and volunteer vacations. There are some great trips this year! Check them out and how to register and find out what they're all about at wta.org/volunteer cool.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")

Cyclopath, The Ghost of Bear 380, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 6:37 am 
Is the list complete, some of the trails that are in dire need are not up for schedule it appears.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 3:03 pm 
are you looking at this list? Looks like a few in dire condition are indeed on schedule: Salmo Priest, Bald Eagle, Nannie Ridge, Mt .David, Sunday Lake, Entiat Rv, War Creek all are in pretty rough shape. And that's just what I gleaned from only the first few pages of many more trips I didn't leaf through. WTA crews do good work. They often add more BCRTs throughout the summer.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
bgs8379

bgs8379
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 7:46 pm 
White River , Forest Service torched it last summer. Nothing but black.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 23, 2024 8:12 am 
My problem and it is probably only mine, is that the day crews I went on get started so late in the day that it is hot. I'm a "get to work while it is still cool" person. What with the gathering, then safety lecture, then a get to know everybody, then maybe a snack, and this all beginning at 9AM, it's just too hot when actual work begins. I assume the back country work might be better as all the intro stuff wouldn't happen every day? And it's hard for most of the world to get to a place and start work at the butt crack of dawn.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Feb 23, 2024 11:46 am 
Yes, but they go through all that the 1st day. Thereafter, you can be on the trail as early as the group decides. I haven't done a BCRT in over a decade, but we were often on the trail by 7 AM. In summer, its daylight at 4:30, so that was easy to do. The initial trips that morphed into BCRT's in the late 1990s weren't continued - we were begging people to join them. The idea came from a core group of groupies who went off to do trail work on their own without any planning by WTA (that is NOT cool nowadays and we were asked to stop doing that, as at least once we had done work that a USFS contractor was hired to do. They still had to pay to contractor. Oops). But outside of the groupies, for some reason, no one was very interested. The weeklongs were only $75 then; even the crew leader on those trips was a volunteer, no paid kitchen assistant, and no paid food and gear organization - all volunteers; now with all the paid folks they're a bit pricey - but I hear people do enjoy the weeklongs very much. perhaps cost is why when WTA took up the idea again years later, the program took off.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert