Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am 
triad wrote:
Is this smoke? some of the ash that Brushbuffalo mentions? cloud formation? When doing a Glacier Peak circumnavigation the last week of August this year, from Miner's Ridge we saw what we assumed was smoke. It seemed to be billowing up from the same location as in these photos.
I think it volcanic ash/sand blown by the wind. It cannot be smoke, because on that day there was no known fires in that area. It didn't look like clouds and all other parts of the sky were clear. It was however coming out from the area called "dusty ridge" and I can visually see lots of exposed cliffs made of volcanic ash and the wind was blowing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm 
triad wrote:
Is this smoke? some of the ash that Brushbuffalo mentions?
Close examination of the first picture and the middle distance of second, where a 'mist' is hovering above the ridge, suggests that the 'misty' looking whitish airborne material is volcanic ash but quite obviously not from a current eruption 👻 The small, more opaque puff in middle left in the first picture is most likely a small cumulus cloud. If it was a breezy day it is almost certainly ash blown from the ridge. It is quite unlikely to be smoke. Edit: I wrote this opinion before I read kitya's comment stating it was a 'windy day'.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
triad

triad
PostThu Sep 17, 2020 12:21 am 
That makes sense. I've seen a good bit of the Glacier Peak pumice in various spots, but I had never noticed much ash. Surprising that it can billow up so much like that. This is what we were seeing:

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostThu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am 
It's from erosion on the banks of Chocolate Creek, or Dusty. Those are very steep canyons with constant erosion. I've seen them upclose on that section of the upper Suiattle.