Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oval Lakes Trailhead to Stehekin Family trip 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 2:51 pm 
Family trip 2020 (14th annual) Oval Lakes Trailhead to Stehekin (8/8-8/15) Day one: Got an early, but maybe not early enough, start at the Oval Lakes/Eagle Creek TH and made our way through the burned forest in sun. Very lovely combo of black and green; loads of fireweed. Our latest participant, Beruk, 15 and athletic set the pace with his first time 45 pound pack. I was impressed. It’s a steady climb past a waterfall to a totally burned out plateau which was dusty and hot but fortunately didn`t last too long as the burn faded to a lovely green forest and a meandering creek. The altitude and green shade cooled things off. We took a long pause and also ran into a party coming down, who raved about the Oval Lakes and said the bugs were minimal. Just what we needed to hear as we forged on the final 32 switchbacks to West Oval. Nice lake, not tremendous, with lots of camps, nicely spaced. Found a rocky camp with nice views down valley and all of us plunged in the cool waters. We had brought some homemade pasta sauce and all hungrily devoured some marinara pasta and wine.
Day two: So just at bedtime the night before, I discovered my toiletry bag was nowhere to be found??? Sometimes as the organizer and leader you forget some details of your own business and I am pretty sure that was the case. The bag had my glasses and toothbrush and daily replacement contacts and it was not gonna be fun without it, so in the middle of the night I made the decision (funny when those firm plans are sometimes made!?) to hike back to the car where hopefully it was (all sorts of alternative resting places for that bag, lurked in my brain though…). So an early start and I retraced the whole day, thankfully packless. I made great time to the car and fortunately the bag was there and without much of a pause, plodded back up. I had suggested to my wife and friend Tom, that if they ventured over to Middle Oval to leave an arrow pointing to their destination, at the Middle-West Oval junction and I would join them there. At the junction, I half way hoped they were still at West Oval, but the arrow was pointing to Middle so I made the fairly stiff but lovely trip to the ridge and down the stunningly pretty basin to Middle Oval. Loads of flowers, first and best display of the trip and a really beautiful lake. Big greeting from our dog, Luna who joined us for the trip (best week of her life every year, this trip) and the whole gang was really happy fishing and swimming. I swam and then we all headed back; Packit Gourmet Texas Chili was for dinner.
Day three: The original plan was to hike to Star Lake (a really cool place, btw) but I had been twice and most of the group had been as well so we opted to hoist the backpacks over to Middle to stay the day at the super cool camp there. En route, we detoured over to the pass to catch a view to Tuckaway Lake, our next destination and checked it out (looked nice!) and took a left with amazing views looking at the NCNP up a climbers trail to the summit of Gray Peak. A summit register was there and the kids got a big kick out of signing it. Rather than taking the trail back we all slid down a scree back to our backs (Cross country 101). Wasn`t too long until we were setting up camp at Middle Oval. Scored some snow for cocktails from one of the few snowfields around on the way down. Spent the whole day fishing with the kids as it was a great fishing lake with fun fishing sites and good fishing (not a catch a cast but plenty of fun). What a beautiful place. My wife Tihut, Tom and I had iced Bourbon at one of the best happy hour sites I can remember while the kids made a fire, an activity they always enjoyed more than dishes.
Day four: Slept in and had a leisurely breakfast and made the simple jaunt over to Tuckaway Lake. Nice place. The weather had cooled as high clouds had set in. Made camp and then hiked up the peak framing the lake (Tuckaway peak?) Did a loop back to camp and came down even steeper scree than the previous day and went back to fishing. Another good fishing day. Mela, Bishop and Beruk were all fishing and having a great time; this trip was Beruk`s first fishing trip and he was having a blast. It had and continued to be a pleasure to see this young man take to the outdoors. He loved it…As dusk set in the 3 teens headed to the tent to play cards and we cooked up the fish on the coals of the fire. A cool but clear sky showed up and we all watched the perseid meteors to some success. We would come back to the fire to warm up periodically and on one such return Tom stuck a big dry branch full of pine needles into the fire and the resultant blaze made everyone laugh.
Day five: Cold night as evidenced by our dog`s frozen water bowl. After breakfast we hiked out of Horseshoe Basin and round the peak we climbed the day before and then dropped down into forest passing the Eagle Pass junction and then headed down and down before heading up and up to a nice forest camp at Deephole Spring (a small pretty creek next to camp). Heavily used but nice. We all rested for a spell and then my wife, me and Tom headed over to see if we could find a path over to Blue Grouse Basin; took awhile but did and followed the faded path up to a secluded meadow and saw signs of camps rarely used (maybe not for years/decades by the look of it) and then traced our way back to camp. Dinner and bed.
Day six: Up and on the trail to Lake Juanita. The expansive views to NCNP and Lake Chelan were nice and the flower fields, though past prime, nice as well. Juanita lake is nothing special and being in the park, the camps were fireless, so we napped and then all headed up to Boulder Butte to see the great panoramic views from there. Very beautiful, especially looking down at Lake Chelan. Back to camp, and the kids played cards while we cooked dinner. To bed early for an Alpine start. 5700 feet down tomorrow and Stehekin awaited.
Day 7: Long but cool trip down to Stehekin docks after a 7:00 am start. I went surprisingly fast and we were happily plunging into Lake Chelan and cooling off. Nothing better than some Stehekin dock time and beer! Caught the bus to Stehekin Valley Ranch, a tradition for us to go hang there and chow on their friggin awesome food. As we enjoyed our dinner from the dining house overlooking the horse pastures, two helicopters landed in the field and news circulated that a search and rescue had found a lost paraglider on the river bar a mile or two from the ranch. Wishing to do nothing but relax and eat more, I got up and told the local SAR crew I could assist if they like (I`m an Urgent Care MD in Seattle and I figured I could likely help). We drove a mile to two toward High Bridge and located the woman on the gravel bar and she looked good but sustained significant orthopedic trauma but likely no internal damage. She needed evacuation to a trauma center so we hoisted her across the river to a big sandbar and waited patiently for the airlift medics to land their copter. Before long she was on her way to a trauma center and I happily went back to beer and my view. The last day spent doing the usual Steheking activities before catching the ferry home, highlighted by a visit to Karl`s Garden, what an amazing garden and really peaceful guy. I still miss the Honey Bear Bakery…..
Really great trip; one of our best; few bugs, great weather and great camping. I am already planning next year!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 6:46 pm 
Glad your trip all came together! Too bad about the return trip to the TH, but haha, I know how that goes. I bet those fish tasted good, stefan was telling me how well you can cook them

Eric Eames
Tshletshy Dreamer

Tshletshy Dreamer
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 8:29 pm 
Ok I’m jealous!!

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 8:39 pm 
Now that is awesome for you and your family. I am happy for you! I am jealous of those that ate your fish! Helicopters are now everywhere you go on a trip!

Art is an adventure.
Canyon1

Canyon1
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 am 
You have a picture of a campfire. I am curious to know if the campfire restriction was lifted. Last time I checked it was still in place.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am 
Canyon: if you look at the time and location of the trip, according to the sources we checked, fires were allowed in the Chelan Sawtooths.

John_B

John_B
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 11:01 am 
The same thought crossed my mind. Looking here it looks like the restrictions did go into effect after the trip dates. https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices/?aid=60291 CT, looks like an awesome trip. Good work on introducing some youngsters to a beautiful area and some fishing! Plus strong work repeating the approach for your missing bag.

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 11:45 am 
This looks like a really fun trip and group. Glad to see the teens reeling some in and avoiding the dishes. Great photos!

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 8:00 am 
Nice report, glad to see you getting youngsters out there. Catching fish also as long as a lisc has been purchased when required