Forum Index > Trip Reports > 13 days of fun in the Tetons (Crest Trail & Grand Teton).
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostMon Aug 31, 2020 11:27 pm 
My 1st trip to the Teton Range was a couple years ago after returning from a climb of Fremont in the Winds w/ my dad. Sadly we only had a 1/2 day to explore before heading back to WA. However, I fell in love w/ the range immediately and knew my return wouldn't be long. My dad & I typically do one big backpacking / climbing trip every year, and I could not have been happier when he asked about doing the Teton Crest for 2020. Not sure he was thrilled about me adding the thought of climbing the Grand as well. Luckily we were able to secure our permits back in February and was just hoping for good weather.........As months pressed on COVID became a real concern though. Dad had already lost a Vegas, Havasu Falls, & Oregon Coast vacation from the virus. My work threatened a 10 day unpaid leave for leaving WA. However, we pushed on w/ our plans despite the risk & headed out on Saturday the 15th. The first stop was Quarry Brewery in Butte MT for a couple local drinks. After quenching our thirst we made our way to the neat Lewis & Clark Caverns State Park for the evening. Reports of GTNP campgrounds filling up early in 2020 were well publicized, so we got an early start to Gros Ventre on Sunday. Thankfully we had no issue getting a site around 11:30.
Mountains & meadows
Mountains & meadows
Grand detail
Grand detail
Entering the Teton Range
Entering the Teton Range
Spent the day in Teton Village & Jackson being tourists for the most part. Stopped at The Mangy Moose & Cowboy Bar for some welcomed local beers. Monday was all prep for the crest, but the sun was out & I found the time for some photos as we drove between String Lake & Granite Canyon. Saw our 1st Moose of the trip en route. Oh, more local beers from Snake River & The Roadhouse drink.gif
Sunset
Sunset
Teton Range
Teton Range
The Grand
The Grand
Cathedral group
Cathedral group
Moran
Moran
Moran reflection
Moran reflection
Tetons
Tetons
Big Teton, Teewinot, & Owen
Big Teton, Teewinot, & Owen
Owen
Owen
Mt Moran
Mt Moran
String Lake
String Lake
Moose near Granite Canyon TH
Moose near Granite Canyon TH
We headed for the String Lk TH Tuesday morning hoping for a lucky Uber or Lyft to take us to Granite Canyon.... No chance. Typically one of us would have hitched a ride, but the park was asking people to avoid such activities due to COVID. Paid $$$ for a taxi service, and it worked out just fine. Our permit made for leisurely days hoping to beat any afternoon storms. The 1st camp was at Lower Granite Canyon about 6 miles from the taxi. Met a group of hikers that had a broken water filter and offered us canned wine for filtered water.....Deal! Views began to open a bit on Wednesday as we got into the upper canyon. Had lunch at Marion Lake before heading into the Jedediah Smith Wilderness.
Upper Granite Canyon
Upper Granite Canyon
Break time
Break time
Bear rock
Bear rock
Nice trail
Nice trail
Sheep
Sheep
Marion
Marion
Leaving Marion Lake
Leaving Marion Lake
Marion Lake
Marion Lake
Green & blue
Green & blue
Pristine trail among the flowers
Pristine trail among the flowers
The heart of the Tetons came to view at this moment & I nearly stood paralyzed. The view of the high alpine meadows with mountains above was imposing.
Cool looking peak
Cool looking peak
scenery
scenery
Crossing Jedediah Wilderness
Crossing Jedediah Wilderness
Contrast above Marion
Contrast above Marion
Lupine, Paintbrush, and more
Lupine, Paintbrush, and more
Dad in the meadows
Dad in the meadows
Cool rocks
Cool rocks
meadows & mountains
meadows & mountains
Alpine meadows
Alpine meadows
Jedediah Wilderness
Jedediah Wilderness
Such cool country
Such cool country
The view only got better as we neared our camp on Death Canyon Shelf. If you do the Crest I highly recommend this camp. Spent the afternoon & evening roaming along the shelf soaking in all the views.
spectacular
spectacular
Sheep
Sheep
Beginning of the shelf
Beginning of the shelf
Fading light
Fading light
Detail
Detail
Death Canyon
Death Canyon
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
camp on the shelf
camp on the shelf
"W..T. .F..". Exact quote as I exited the tent hoping for Sunrise Thursday morning, but seeing a sky full of smoke instead.
ominous sunrise
ominous sunrise
Death Canyon Shelf in the smoke
Death Canyon Shelf in the smoke
Trail and smoke
Trail and smoke
Flowers
Flowers
Would take us a day to learn that California had blew up with fires. frown.gif Thursday was our longest mileage day as we would cross Alaska Basin, head over Hurricane Pass, and work our way back up North Cascade Canyon. The smoke was thick, but surprisingly it didn't seem to bother us much.
Easy miles
Easy miles
Alaska Basin & Buck Mtm
Alaska Basin & Buck Mtm
Alaska Basin
Alaska Basin
Sunrise Lake
Sunrise Lake
Dad in Alaska Basin
Dad in Alaska Basin
Color amongst the grey
Color amongst the grey
What a cool place to ride a horse!
What a cool place to ride a horse!
Horses & the Grand
Horses & the Grand
Wilderness
Wilderness
Had lunch in South Cascade Canyon looking up at the Grand and other peaks hoping the view would clear in the coming days for my summit attempt.
Tetons
Tetons
South Teton & School Room Glacier
South Teton & School Room Glacier
Grand, Middle, & South
Grand, Middle, & South
School Room Glacier
School Room Glacier
Deer leg
Deer leg
Smokey Tetons
Smokey Tetons
Waterfalls
Waterfalls
South Cascade Canyon
South Cascade Canyon
Heading down the canyon we came across a moose in South Cascade Canyon right on trail. Took a bit of motivation to get him to move a bit so we could be on our way. Just a few minutes later we saw a fox on the trail eating his prized marmot. Pretty cool stuff!
Moose
Moose
Bull Moose
Bull Moose
On the way to dinner
On the way to dinner
Fox and its kill
Fox and its kill
Found camp a couple miles short of Lake Solitude a bit before sunset. Sky was still hazy, but I wasn't complaining.
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Own, Grand, & Middle Teton
Own, Grand, & Middle Teton
Hornets nest discovered after throwing our food rope over and getting stung in the face
Hornets nest discovered after throwing our food rope over and getting stung in the face
Continued on Friday to Lake Solitude and over Paintbrush Divide. Smoke continued to hinder the views a bit, but we had avoided any adverse weather to this point including rain or storms. Paintbrush Divide is the hight point of the trip nearing 11,000'. We managed to avoid any kind of significant snow up here.
Upper Cascade Canyon
Upper Cascade Canyon
Alone at Lake Solitude
Alone at Lake Solitude
Lake Solitude
Lake Solitude
Solitude reflections
Solitude reflections
Leaving Lake Solitude
Leaving Lake Solitude
Looking down at Solitude
Looking down at Solitude
Trail in the choss
Trail in the choss
Paintbrush Divide
Paintbrush Divide
Smoke at the divide
Smoke at the divide
Dad staring at the Grand
Dad staring at the Grand
Martian landscape
Martian landscape
High point of the Crest
High point of the Crest
Smokey views from the Divide
Smokey views from the Divide
Choss & smoke
Choss & smoke
Grizzly Bear Lake
Grizzly Bear Lake
Paintbrush Divide
Paintbrush Divide
Dad below Paintbrush Divide
Dad below Paintbrush Divide
Holly Lake
Holly Lake
After a quick lunch at Holly Lake we headed for our camp in Lower Paintbrush Canyon. Saturday morning we finished the final 4 miles down to the car and headed back to Gros Ventre for a campsite. Margaritas and Mexican food was had in celebration at Merry Piglets that evening. We moved our camp to Jenny Lake on Sunday allowing me easier access into the Tetons the following week. Since my dad was heading to AZ early the next day we again celebrated back in Jackson a successful hike of the crest at the Silver Dollar Restaurant. From here my focus would lie solely on The Grand Teton. Unfortunately the weather forecast for my summit day was the worst the mountain had seen in 30 days..."40% chance of rain with overnight & afternoon T-storms"....Meh, just kept hoping for the best. After dropping my dad off at the airport I headed back up Cascade Canyon Monday w/ the rock shoes & gear. We managed a quick 5 pitch climb along with some bouldering before the rain began to fall around 3:00. Ran into a cinnamon bear hanging with the folks at Hidden Falls that seemed a little too comfortable around that many people. A ranger soon chased him out the area while scolding everyone to put their food away. After some rest at Jenny Lake Camp I had a nice dinner and drink at Dornan's. Headed up the Lupine Meadows TH at 8:00 on Tuesday hoping to beat the predicted heavy storm that threatened our climb. The trail worked its way 7 miles with about 4,800' of gain up Garnett Canyon through the Meadows, Petzolt Caves, Glacial moraine camp, and then to the lower saddle w/ some fixed lines for help.
Reached the saddle at 3:00 happy to be under sunny skies, but could see the approaching storm from the Idaho side. **Should finish TR tonight?**

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 12:10 am 
up.gif Looks great, other than the smoke. Wow, a marmot is quite a meal for a fox. Moose everywhere it looks like. I've done bits and pieces of that on several visits to the Park but haven't done the whole traverse. Beautiful country.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 8:07 am 
I sure enjoyed the first week that we spent on the Crest. Memories that will last a lifetime. Too bad I didn't get to join for the Grand climb. You need to continue your story...

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:45 pm 
Are you sure it is a marmot? It doesn't look like the marmots I know!

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 3:14 pm 
kitya wrote:
Are you sure it is a marmot? It doesn't look like the marmots I know!
No, in fact I very much questioned what the fox got for dinner.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 3:29 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
No, in fact I very much questioned what the fox got for dinner.
I am not an expert, but it looks like possibly a small badger to me.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 4:56 pm 
Huh, that's interesting. It doesn't really look like a badger to me. What is that thing?

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 10:44 am 
Eagerly looking forward to the rest of the report! up.gif

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 11:18 am 
Based on the teeth, I'd call that a rodent/marmot.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 1:44 pm 
Great trip, Tetons are amazing. Looks like a marmot. I watched a young eagle kill and shred a marmot in Dose Meadows a couple of years ago. Both fascinating and horrifying at the same time.
rocknclimb wrote:
Reason #284 why I carry a bear canister all the time when backpacking. I've got a full sized Garcia and a 1/2 rack Bear boxer contender. Small one will hold 5 days supplies for me on a solo trip.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.