Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pyramid Mountain, Graham Mountain, and Crow Hill
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostTue Sep 01, 2020 6:07 pm 
The Riverside Baker (aka "the hubski"), and I celebrated ten years of happy hiking and tied boots by taking (what else?) a backpacking trip! winksmile.gif We drove alllllllll the way to Big Hill Camp, a former lookout site. The FS says there's a campground there. Really, it's just a cabin with bunks, one picnic table, and an outhouse. There isn't room for more than 2 vehicles up there - three max. When we arrived, two guys had staked out the picnic table, but we were able to find a nice flat spot for our rig. We got there in time for a lovely sunset over Lake Chelan. It was peaceful up there.
Lake Chelan from Big Hill
Lake Chelan from Big Hill
cabin available for hunters
cabin available for hunters
our private view spot
our private view spot
bring your guitar pick
bring your guitar pick
bunks
bunks
inside the cabin at Big Hill
inside the cabin at Big Hill
The next day, we moved the rig down to the trailhead and started hiking to Pyramid Mountain with our overnight packs. What a great trail! It runs the west ridge of the Chelan Mountains, and it's pretty easy traveling, never getting that steep. It had nice views of Glacier Peak and the Entiat. Every once in a while, we'd get a nice peek of Lake Chelan. We kept our eyes on a fire which was to the west of us.
smoldering fire
smoldering fire
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
pleasant trail
pleasant trail
down to the east of the ridge, a nice meadow and basin
down to the east of the ridge, a nice meadow and basin
peek-a-boo of Lake Chelan
peek-a-boo of Lake Chelan
We finally found a camp in the bend of the ridge below Pyramid, between two water seeps. As a backpack, this could be tricky later season due to water not being so plentiful. We were lucky to find a small bit of running water. After we dropped our overnight gear, we continued another 1,500' up to summit Pyramid Mountain. What a magnificent treat! We could see the Enchantments and Stuart, Maude, Seven Finger Jack, the Gardners, Hoser-mean, the North Cascades, and a nice portion of Lake Chelan. We could also see the route we took a few years ago up Prince Creek to Star/Courtney across the lake. Lots of larch trees in this area. I enjoyed seeing Tiffany Mountain waaaay on the horizon and recalled our trip there last year.
Cardinal in the distance.
Cardinal in the distance.
heading up to Pyramid
heading up to Pyramid
Pyramid Mountain
Pyramid Mountain
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Hubski sends out In-Reach
Hubski sends out In-Reach
Lake Chelan
Lake Chelan
looking south to Lake Chelan
looking south to Lake Chelan
pano from Pyramid
pano from Pyramid
marker, Pyramid Mountain
marker, Pyramid Mountain
looking west - you can see the Monte Cristos from here
looking west - you can see the Monte Cristos from here
artifact
artifact
benchmark
benchmark
from benchmark to Chelan
from benchmark to Chelan
We checked the summit register for fun entries. Sure enough - we saw Action Betty and Wildernessed's entry from several years prior. Made me think of my ol' pal and how I miss her.
Hola, chica!
Hola, chica!
We lounged around for a long time, checking Peak ID and poking around for old lookout artifacts. Then we headed back down to camp. We barely had enough water to pump and clean off a bit. No bugs, and complete solitude. No views in camp, but quite pleasant.
The next day, the hubski wanted to hit a few of the peaks we passed enroute, namely Graham Mountain and Crow Hill. The weather was heating up, so we packed up early. When we got to spots on the trail that were closest to the summits, we just scrambled up. The terrain was open and easy. Graham Mountain's summit was really wonderful and scenic. Great views of Chelan.
pretty snag
pretty snag
happy hubski hiker
happy hubski hiker
Crow Hill had some nice views too - though ladybugs were quite active, swarming around. Lots of evidence of camping up there.
veiw from Crow Hill
veiw from Crow Hill
My guess is that this area gets a lot of hunters visiting during deer season. As it was, we had complete solitude our whole trip. Perfect for our 10th Anniversary! It amazed me that I have lived here for 20 years and never visited this area. I always thought of it as a dry ashtray bc of fires. I'm glad I was wrong. It was quite lovely and for solitude it was great. Not sure I'd want to be up there during "high hunt" - whenever that is.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message